Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2020
But crushed by the iphone 15P' A17 Pro when it comes to the neural engine 😁 And everyone knows AI is the next big thing.

View attachment 2365560
From Wikipedia
than do creative Ai tasks with the phone. I get the feeling that the neural innovation will be realistic automatic filters in video so that everyone can look like a fashion model even under bad lighting. Then they can all hide inside because nobody will recognize them

• Haha
Reactions: Mainsail and geta

PROFESS0R

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2017
My previous computer was a completely maxed out 2019 MacBook Pro Intel machine. I finely grew tired of the fans being on high almost all the time (I use some demanding software) and the thermal throttling that made my machine run intolerably slow.

I definitely needed to upgrade and I purchased a completely maxed out (no pun intended) 16” MacBook Pro M3 max. I get a bit of a discount for being in education, but the price was still slightly north of $6k. I will keep it until it is no longer useable.

Joe

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Me.... moved from a 16" 2.3 i9 64GB/2TB intel MBP to the unbinned 16/40 16" 48GB 1TB.

Bought it from the refurb store and saved £620.

The 64GB 2TB would have been an extra £510 on refurb and wasn't worth it to me.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
I just bought the 14" M3 Max MacBook Pro. I do not need this, but have been taken in by all the YouTube videos about how "you need the max". I am coming from a M1 MBP with 1TB that was fine for me. (got to 350GB storage). I can afford the M3 Max, but won't use it to its potential. I am a light user, just using to browse the web, emails and daily journalling. YouTube etc, but not much else.

I've been taken in by the M3 Max hype I know. Just wondering if anyone else in this position and if you're thinking of going back to the M3 Pro instead?

I would just stick with what you have. It's the exact same computer with a slightly brighter screen, and it'll run much hotter and louder with less battery life to give you more power that you won't even notice.

I would wait until there's an actual new model with more changes than the SoC. Or if you were at least going to go to a different screen size. Otherwise it truly is a waste of money.

Edit: did you come from the 13" MacBook Pro M1 or the 14" MacBook Pro M1?

Last edited:
Reactions: AVBeatMan

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
yes the 36gb ram is good for tabs. I do a lot of research and will have bunch of tabs open in several groups. My ram use is around 23gb. If you are a long term user of products, id get the base Pro with 36gb ram and 1tb ssd. You may not need the SSD if you pay for iCloud but these days I see I filled 250gb to start with and the drive may slow down the closer I get to 500 so for long term, 1tb is beneficial.

RAM use is meaningless in that scenario. Only memory pressure will actually tell you what's going on.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
I would just stick with what you have. It's the exact same computer with a slightly brighter screen, and it'll run much hotter and louder with less battery life to give you more power that you won't even notice.

I would wait until there's an actual new model with more changes than the SoC. Or if you were at least going to go to a different screen size. Otherwise it truly is a waste of money.

Edit: did you come from the 13" MacBook Pro M1 or the 14" MacBook Pro M1?
14" MBP. Since my original post I returned the Max and just got the 14" M3 Pro. Happy with this and no noticeable difference from my M1. Got a good price for my M1 so turned out OK for me. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.