Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
Thanks for all your replies. No, I don't need the Max and am still within the return window. Will have a look at the base pro and the 1TB one. The base has 11 Core CPU and the 1TM 12 Core CPU. Is the extra core worth it do you think? The 1TB is only £330 extra so 330 for an extra core and 1TB? The base has 512Gb.
It is extremely unlikely you’ll notice the difference between an 11 or 12 core CPU. The upcharge is for the SSD. You get 4 more GPU cores as well. If you don’t need the space, it’s really not worth the charge. How much space are you using now?

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
It is extremely unlikely you’ll notice the difference between an 11 or 12 core CPU. The upcharge is for the SSD. You get 4 more GPU cores as well. If you don’t need the space, it’s really not worth the charge. How much space are you using now?
180GB at the moment. I've always got 1TB but think the most I've got up to is just under 400GB.

Dfds

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2020
If I were you I'd go for the 1TB version or if you're sure you only need the 512GB internal storage use the savings to invest in a fast external SSD.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

oasantos1

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2023
Orange County, CA
Did you get the base 512Gb or the 1Tb one? What do you use it for?
I went with the base 512.

At work, Microsoft Teams calls, Excel, PowerPoint.
At home, recently I have been editing some old family videos in Final Cut and some photo editing in Affinity Photo.
Like I said, M2 Air was more than enough for what I do, but I needed to have that Space Black color.

profcutter

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2019
180GB at the moment. I've always got 1TB but think the most I've got up to is just under 400GB.
If you’re already in the habit of offloading data, why waste 300 pounds? Just get the base model. That would be my recommendation. I only need 2TB because I use video in teaching and I teach 3 hours away from home. Having all my materials on the internal drive saves me from having something else to lose on a podium in a classroom somewhere, and saves wear and tear on fragile usb 3 cables and connectors. In your case, I’d highly recommend a base model or an Air.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Thanks for all your replies. No, I don't need the Max and am still within the return window. Will have a look at the base pro and the 1TB one. The base has 11 Core CPU and the 1TM 12 Core CPU. Is the extra core worth it do you think? The 1TB is only £330 extra so 330 for an extra core and 1TB? The base has 512Gb.
Do you feel any difference between M3 and M1 with your tasks?

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
Do you feel any difference between M3 and M1 with your tasks?
Well, the M3 feels a bit faster, but that could be the "honeymoon" effect? My main worry is reports of the Max getting hot. Surely that's just under heavy workloads though?

Flynnsworth

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2023
My main worry is reports of the Max getting hot.
You’ll enjoy your products more when you buy them for your own needs, rather than basing your purchasing decisions on Apple affiliated YouTube videos.

The M1 would’ve lasted you for many years, as will any variant of an M3 Mac.

M3 Max does run a bit hotter under heavy workloads but you’re not likely to experience that in your daily use. You already have the machine, so open all the applications you like to use and give it a test.

David1986H

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Cheshire, UK
I don't do any type of vid/pic editing of any kind but I have the 16" M3 Max.

Youtube, Twitch and other sites like that is my main entertainment and I could have 30+ taps open easy at any time so 48Gig of ram is nice to have rather than the 24gig maximum on the air which would do me fine but the 16" screen, speakers, heat sink, performance figures and so on with the M3Max on the 16" is good to know I have it lol

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
I don't do any type of vid/pic editing of any kind but I have the 16" M3 Max.

Youtube, Twitch and other sites like that is my main entertainment and I could have 30+ taps open easy at any time so 48Gig of ram is nice to have rather than the 24gig maximum on the air which would do me fine but the 16" screen, speakers, heat sink, performance figures and so on with the M3Max on the 16" is good to know I have it lol
Finally! Someone else similar to me. Glad I'm not alone 😂

Reactions: David1986H

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Just buy what you are financially capable of buying. That's the answer to so many questions. You don't need a justify it for anyone online. Want the M3 Max for the heck of it? Can you afford it? By all means, do it!

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Did you get the base 512Gb or the 1Tb one? What do you use it for?
I purchased the MacBook Pro with the M3 Pro chip and 12‑core CPU, 18‑core GPU, 18GB RAM with 1TB SSD storage - the stock config. I have the same use case as you, but wanted the Space Black, which is stunning! The icing on the cake was the cost, I got it for £1841 - nearly 30% off.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I just bought the 14" M3 Max MacBook Pro. I do not need this, but have been taken in by all the YouTube videos about how "you need the max". I am coming from a M1 MBP with 1TB that was fine for me. (got to 350GB storage). I can afford the M3 Max, but won't use it to its potential. I am a light user, just using to browse the web, emails and daily journalling. YouTube etc, but not much else.

I've been taken in by the M3 Max hype I know. Just wondering if anyone else in this position and if you're thinking of going back to the M3 Pro instead?

I've discovered after the M2 Air release almost all tech YouTubers are garbage. The only two that I saw that actually gave good reasonable reviews were Lisa from Mobile Tech Review (her analysis was spot on with my experience) and iJustine (which like her or hate her, her usage was spot on too for that product).

Too many reviewers just run benchmarks and any IT person worth their salt knows how utterly useless benchmarks actually are. If you went by most YouTubers you'd think the air couldn't handle anything but the most basic of tasks without overheating and throttling but that wasn't remotely true. I would run Houdini, Blender, Final Cut (exporting 4k video), Logic, Unity, Xcode, Godot, random video games, Motion, etc without a single hitch, hiccup, or "overheating".

For your use case, unfortunately you did overpay, the Air would have been perfect and thinner/lighter to carry around. The 14" M3 Max MacBook Pro is amazing, I do have one I just recently bought but only because the trade in on my M2 Air was so good and I wanted a bit more screen real estate without going to a 15 inch.

Reactions: G5isAlive and leifp

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 10, 2010
I purchased the MacBook Pro with the M3 Pro chip and 12‑core CPU, 18‑core GPU, 18GB RAM with 1TB SSD storage - the stock config. I have the same use case as you, but wanted the Space Black, which is stunning! The icing on the cake was the cost, I got it for £1841 - nearly 30% off.

Wow. Where did you buy from?

Lucas Curious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2020
I just bought the 14" M3 Max MacBook Pro. I do not need this, but have been taken in by all the YouTube videos about how "you need the max". I am coming from a M1 MBP with 1TB that was fine for me. (got to 350GB storage). I can afford the M3 Max, but won't use it to its potential. I am a light user, just using to browse the web, emails and daily journalling. YouTube etc, but not much else.

I've been taken in by the M3 Max hype I know. Just wondering if anyone else in this position and if you're thinking of going back to the M3 Pro instead?
I also got the 14 M3 Max but I wanted more ram this time and more SSD for a longer future and the Max chip upgrade was not that much more. Also I plan on using Davinchi Resolve here and there as well as occasional photoshop and Lightroom. This M3 Max is 1.7x faster than my M1 Pro in CPU. Also I noticed that when editing video, having laptop open and Studio Display plugged in wasnt a super smooth experience on the M1 Pro so the Max is good if you want to plug in more screens at some point. Anyways I was upgrading Macs every 2 years and always getting the base ones since 2010. This time I got a max and will use it until it fails. But my main agenda was to get more ram and to switch to 14". If I already had a 14" M1 Pro with 32gb ram, I probably would not have upgraded but again, there is this slight lag with the Pro if using Mac screen and 5k display at same time. It's little quirks but I rather pay the extra $1000 for the max than to spend the next 5 years questioning myself and drooling over upgrades.

I think these Macs have reached a power level where I really cant benefit from more power. Even when editing video, I use 6k compressed files and they play smooth. In your case you didnt need the max and would have been fine with the Pro unless you platoon using 3-4 high resolution screens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.