Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you be downloading on the day of release?

• Yes

Votes: 107 56.9%
  • No

Votes: 33 17.6%
  • Depends on what they add

Votes: 48 25.5%

• Total voters

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Come on let's be serious for a moment. 9.0 better than 8.4.1 ? You gotta be joking for sure.

You could say that 9.3.x is better than any iOS 8 versions for various reasons, but 9.0 better than 8.4.1, please stop I feel like you don't have an honest opinion, you just defend, defend and defend Apple more and more on this forum.
On the other hand, I feel all you do is trash Apple, or be dismissive of other opinions. Did you see my post where I gave an opinion of iOS 8? was that sentence skipped? iOS 9 was an instant improvement on my iPad 2.

And I am entitled to my opinion same as you.

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
I really hope iOS 10 turns out a lot more polished than iOS 9 ever was.

I'm not talking about crashing, but rather performance and the overall glitchy interface.

iOS 7 worked great for me... very few glitches... performance was great too.
iOS 8 was glitchier. Had a lot of UI bugs (like title bar changing from big to small to big to small again after unlock)
iOS 9 takes the cake with glitchiness. There are not only UI bugs, but overall performance took a dive (even on devices that shipped with 9.

I hope that iOS 10 is what I've been waiting for, but I'm not holding my breath.

iOS 10 will most likely be even worse than iOS 9, but people will love it because it's Apple.
Not because I love 6, but iOS hasn't been good since iOS 6 for me.

Reactions: iOSUser7

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
If its junk like iOS 9 was (and is), I doubt I'll look at it very much. Apple better have made a new design, the current one is so boring and in-efficient that I don't want to use it at all.
I am updating just for Dark Mode but I have no doubt iOS 10 will perform like molasses down the hill on my iPhone 6.I will just have to grit and bear it till iPhone 7 comes out

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Always interesting to see how imaginary things affect reality for some.

Oh really?

Listen, I know you're really happy with whatever device you have, but iOS 8 and 9 has really soured my image of Apple.
Yes, you read that correctly. I was unsatisfied with both iOS 8 AND iOS 9 and before you flame me for saying that... I hated iOS 8 LESS than iOS 9.

At least iOS 8 didn't run like crap on brand new hardware and iOS 8 didn't affect the frame rates of my games after a mid-year point update.

My games still stutter like crazy on my iPad mini 4... but before iOS 9.3, they were perfectly smooth 100% of the time.

Now my latest thing I have to deal with is performance dropping even MORE now that auto-brightness is screwed up and kills the performance of games and animations.

Can Apple PLEASE release an update that doesn't eff everything up?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
There is no way in hell iOS 9 was an instant improvement. My iPad 2 was trashed when I updated it to 9.
My iPad Mini 1 is garbage on iOS 9 as well.It takes 5 seconds just to catch up with my keyboard input.Jist opening the browser makes me cringe in annoyance and never want to do it again

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
iOS 9 was horrific for ages. Still is. My once capable of keeping 1 or 2 tabs open (under iOS 9) is now barely capable of keeping one tab open. I can't even browse Macrumours on it.

My iPad Mini 2 is still slow, the keyboard lags and simple animations can't render themselves.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
There is no way in hell iOS 9 was an instant improvement. My iPad 2 was trashed when I updated it to 9.

I really liked iOS 6 as well, but that look (although it was attractive at the time) looked very dated and old when my eyes became accustom to iOS 7's look.

Also, the lock screen notifications looked absolutely awful to me (always hated the new notification screen after bubbles were discontinued).

In iOS 7 however, I was much more pleased with the new lock screen (although I liked it better before they changed the slide to unlock text color) and I was also impressed with the new icon animations (although, I miss being able to turn off parallax while also keeping the zoom-in and zoom-out animations).

The other thing I don't understand is why Apple took away the ability to interact with the screen before an animation is done animating. If I remember correctly, people complained that the animations were too long when iOS 7 first came out, and Apple promptly fixed that, and I remember complaints about input blocking durning animations and Apple fixed that as well... (temporarily apparently because input blocking was put back into place for iOS 9 and hasn't been fixed since)

I'm not going to get into it, but I'm also seeing a great decline in Apple's desktop software Mac OS X. I upgraded to El Capitan (not by choice) from Mountain Lion and I hate almost everything about it. It's very glitchy, unpredictable and annoying. I honestly don't even know how people can praise it.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
On the other hand, I feel all you do is trash Apple, or be dismissive of other opinions. Did you see my post where I gave an opinion of iOS 8? was that sentence skipped? iOS 9 was an instant improvement on my iPad 2.

No but every time people have issues with iOS 9, then its their device, yet you never acknowledge that your issues with iOS 8 could have been down to a poor software installation. Because, I've done countless installs of iOS 9 + used shop installed iOS 9 (on the Mini 2 and Air 1) and its all slower than iOS 8. Sure iOS 9 may have improved things on your iPad 2, but that doesn't mean that your install of iOS 8 was messed up.

Its now like 12 months since iOS 9 beta 1 was released and I'm still yet to see a demonstration of iOS 9 running faster on the iPad 2 (or A7 iPads) for that matter. Plenty showing the opposite though.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Oh really?

Listen, I know you're really happy with whatever device you have, but iOS 8 and 9 has really soured my image of Apple.
Yes, you read that correctly. I was unsatisfied with both iOS 8 AND iOS 9 and before you flame me for saying that... I hated iOS 8 LESS than iOS 9.

At least iOS 8 didn't run like crap on brand new hardware and iOS 8 didn't affect the frame rates of my games after a mid-year point update.

My games still stutter like crazy on my iPad mini 4... but before iOS 9.3, they were perfectly smooth 100% of the time.

Now my latest thing I have to deal with is performance dropping even MORE now that auto-brightness is screwed up and kills the performance of games and animations.

Can Apple PLEASE release an update that doesn't eff everything up?
Seems like you misinterpreted (or essentially misapplied) what I replied with as far as it relates to the post to which I replied.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
No but every time people have issues with iOS 9, then its their device, yet you never acknowledge that your issues with iOS 8 could have been down to a poor software installation. Because, I've done countless installs of iOS 9 + used shop installed iOS 9 (on the Mini 2 and Air 1) and its all slower than iOS 8. Sure iOS 9 may have improved things on your iPad 2, but that doesn't mean that your install of iOS 8 was messed up.

Its now like 12 months since iOS 9 beta 1 was released and I'm still yet to see a demonstration of iOS 9 running faster on the iPad 2 (or A7 iPads) for that matter. Plenty showing the opposite though.
Why are you rehashing the same tired thing that the poor horse has been suffering for? Apple clearly fine tunes its product on a yearly basis and are doing it with iOS 9 as well. Which at this point is better than iOS 8.4.1 overall.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014

Don't forget that his perception of iOS 9 could be different to yours. He might be the kind of person that couldn't care less about waiting 10 seconds for an App to open and respond. He probably taps on an app and goes for a walk and comes back later.

Also, he turns off all animations, so his perception of animation lags could be no existent.

Also, he could just mean "It's good enough", not meaning that it's a great OS, but rather it "sort of works" and it doesn't matter much to him if the entire animation is missing or that it takes 3 or 4 taps to close something because it's lagging so hard.

My wife is like this as well. I'll go on and on about how laggy and glitchy iOS 9 is and she has no idea what I'm talking about. She's content with it and just doesn't care enough about electronics to even notice stuff like that. She also doesn't notice screen tearing in video games (GASP!). I'm like "Look, you don't see those giant lines going through the screen 80% of the time?!?!" I wish I was like her, but my brain must be a ninja or something... I dunno.

Why are you rehashing the same tired thing that the poor horse has been suffering for? Apple clearly fine tunes its product on a yearly basis and are doing it with iOS 9 as well. Which at this point is better than iOS 8.4.1 overall.

8.3 was better than 8.4.1. The new music App in 8.4 SUCKED and it even lagged the phone (a preview of what was to come in iOS 9??)

Also, you've probably become so accustom to iOS 9 that you've forgotten what 8.3 was like. I know I have. It's hard to remember how smooth iOS 8 was when you no longer have iOS 8 to compare iOS 9 to.

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
Wrong, Its still terrible. iOS 8.4.1 still has the upper hand on 9.3.2.

Reactions: Radon87000

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia

I disagree. I have more lag, more crashes and more stuttering than with 8.4.1
[doublepost=1465788147][/doublepost]
Don't forget that his perception of iOS 9 could be different to yours. He might be the kind of person that couldn't care less about waiting 10 seconds for an App to open and respond. He probably taps on an app and goes for a walk and comes back later.

Also, he turns off all animations, so his perception of animation lags could be no existent.

Also, he could just mean "It's good enough", not meaning that it's a great OS, but rather it "sort of works" and it doesn't matter much to him if the entire animation is missing or that it takes 3 or 4 taps to close something because it's lagging so hard.

My wife is like this as well. I'll go on and on about how laggy and glitchy iOS 9 is and she has no idea what I'm talking about. She's content with it and just doesn't care enough about electronics to even notice stuff like that. She also doesn't notice screen tearing in video games (GASP!). I'm like "Look, you don't see those giant lines going through the screen 80% of the time?!?!" I wish I was like her, but my brain must be a ninja or something... I dunno.

8.3 was better than 8.4.1. The new music App in 8.4 SUCKED and it even lagged the phone (a preview of what was to come in iOS 9??)

Also, you've probably become so accustom to iOS 9 that you've forgotten what 8.3 was like. I know I have. It's hard to remember how smooth iOS 8 was when you no longer have iOS 8 to compare iOS 9 to.

True, but perception is not equal to reality. You can perceive something different. My sister can't tell the difference between retina displays and non retina displays - but there is clearly a difference.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014

I disagree. I have more lag, more crashes and more stuttering than with 8.4.1
[doublepost=1465788147][/doublepost]

True, but perception is not equal to reality. You can perceive something different. My sister can't tell the difference between retina displays and non retina displays - but there is clearly a difference.

I didn't say it was equal to reality. I'm just saying... he probably doesn't notice or care about lags. Not everyone is picky about that stuff.

I could show you test after test of my devices lagging, but there will always be that person that says "So what... does it affect your ability to use your device?" No, my device still works but all the stuttering makes it seem like my device is struggling when just a few months ago, it was a speed demon. You get what I'm saying?

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I didn't say it was equal to reality. I'm just saying... he probably doesn't notice or care about lags. Not everyone is picky about that stuff.

I could show you test after test of my devices lagging, but there will always be that person that says "So what... does it affect your ability to use your device?" No, my device still works but all the stuttering makes it seem like my device is struggling when just a few months ago, it was a speed demon. You get what I'm saying?

Yeah sorry, I agree with you, more aimed what I was saying at others :p

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
Yeah sorry, I agree with you, more aimed what I was saying at others :p

Oh, I gotcha.
[doublepost=1465789061][/doublepost]

Please note... when I7guy speaks about improvement... he's talking about Safari. He ignores everything else. All he uses is Safari. He's said it time and time again.

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014

If you think I trash Apple then you probably never heard of me on these forums. I owned a lot of Apple products, I really like what this company make. However I'm tired to decide between more features or better performance whereas before I would just hit the "update" button and everything was fine after that.
I don't expect my device to work as good as it was after 5 years of usage but seeing worse performance and bugs after only one major upgrade (less than a year) is a big example of poor optimization.

Think about iPhone, iPad and Mac sales declining and don't tell me that Apple isn't getting worse and worse these days.

People have always complained about Apple, of course they do there is no "perfect" company but in the past people were complaining about how iOS started to look outdated or how Apple control everything in iOS but they never ever complained about performance, stability or reliability.

And by the way, I need to clarify something. I have no complaints about how iOS 9 run on my iPhone SE and iPad mini 4. I can see the occasional lag or hiccup but it's rare and doesn't bother me at all because it's nowhere near the lag fest that my old iPhone 5s was on iOS 9 (which was perfectly fine when I got it on 7.1.1 by the way).
So why am I complaining about performance ? Because not everyone have the latest and greatest iPhone or iPad from 2015/2016 and because I know that my devices will eventually become trash if I upgrade them to iOS 10. This has happened before multiple times and I have no doubt it will also happen at the end of the year.

And to finish, may I ask you something ? Are you using reduce motion and/or increase contrast on your devices ? This may explain why you can't see the lags and stutters on iOS 9.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.