Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you be downloading on the day of release?

• Yes

Votes: 107 56.9%
  • No

Votes: 33 17.6%
  • Depends on what they add

Votes: 48 25.5%

• Total voters

ThunderMasterMind

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2016
If you think I trash Apple then you probably never heard of me on these forums. I owned a lot of Apple products, I really like what this company make. However I'm tired to decide between more features or better performance whereas before I would just hit the "update" button and everything was fine after that.
I don't expect my device to work as good as it was after 5 years of usage but seeing worse performance and bugs after only one major upgrade (less than a year) is a big example of poor optimization.

Think about iPhone, iPad and Mac sales declining and don't tell me that Apple isn't getting worse and worse these days.

People have always complained about Apple, of course they do there is no "perfect" company but in the past people were complaining about how iOS started to look outdated or how Apple control everything in iOS but they never ever complained about performance, stability or reliability.

And by the way, I need to clarify something. I have no complaints about how iOS 9 run on my iPhone SE and iPad mini 4. I can see the occasional lag or hiccup but it's rare and doesn't bother me at all because it's nowhere near the lag fest that my old iPhone 5s was on iOS 9 (which was perfectly fine when I got it on 7.1.1 by the way).
So why am I complaining about performance ? Because not everyone have the latest and greatest iPhone or iPad from 2015/2016 and because I know that my devices will eventually become trash if I upgrade them to iOS 10. This has happened before multiple times and I have no doubt it will also happen at the end of the year.

And to finish, may I ask you something ? Are you using reduce motion and/or increase contrast on your devices ? This may explain why you can't see the lags and stutters on iOS 9.
It's ridiculous because performance issues are ten times worse now then they were 3 years ago. Another reason why iOS legacy is better than iOS today. Every device that supported iOS 6 didn't have terrible performance (besides the iPod touch 4G) even the iPhone 3GS had good performance on 6 and still does.

Lets face it, iOS is a joke now.

Reactions: Radon87000

iOSUser7

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2014
Nice.My body is ready for dark mode.
I don't know if somebody here share the same opinion as me but I don't mind a dark mode at all. I mean it's great if they introduce it because a lot of people have been asking for this but I don't think I will be using it especially if it's similar to what the WWDC 2016 app look like. :p

Siri on the other hand is a different story. I really hope they improve it and make it Google Now level because right now you can only ask her some really really basics tasks, nothing else.

Reactions: hojx

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
I don't know if somebody here share the same opinion as me but I don't mind a dark mode at all. I mean it's great if they introduce it because a lot of people have been asking for this but I don't think I will be using it especially if it's similar to what the WWDC 2016 app look like. :p

Siri on the other hand is a different story. I really hope they improve it and make it Google Now level because right now you can only ask her some really really basics tasks, nothing else.
I would love a dark mode! But not if it looks like the WWDC app, I dislike how the WWDC app looks. I want dark mode to look like the Apple Watch app.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Don't forget that his perception of iOS 9 could be different to yours. He might be the kind of person that couldn't care less about waiting 10 seconds for an App to open and respond. He probably taps on an app and goes for a walk and comes back later.

Also, he turns off all animations, so his perception of animation lags could be no existent.

Also, he could just mean "It's good enough", not meaning that it's a great OS, but rather it "sort of works" and it doesn't matter much to him if the entire animation is missing or that it takes 3 or 4 taps to close something because it's lagging so hard.

My wife is like this as well. I'll go on and on about how laggy and glitchy iOS 9 is and she has no idea what I'm talking about. She's content with it and just doesn't care enough about electronics to even notice stuff like that. She also doesn't notice screen tearing in video games (GASP!). I'm like "Look, you don't see those giant lines going through the screen 80% of the time?!?!" I wish I was like her, but my brain must be a ninja or something... I dunno.

8.3 was better than 8.4.1. The new music App in 8.4 SUCKED and it even lagged the phone (a preview of what was to come in iOS 9??)

Also, you've probably become so accustom to iOS 9 that you've forgotten what 8.3 was like. I know I have. It's hard to remember how smooth iOS 8 was when you no longer have iOS 8 to compare iOS 9 to.
On the other hand, no one was really waiting anywhere even close to 10 seconds for apps to open at any point (perhaps short of some that might have had some other unrelated and/or more serious issues that are quite unusual), yet various people certainly would unneceasrily make it sound like it was all like that for everyone time after time.
[doublepost=1465797220][/doublepost]
It's ridiculous because performance issues are ten times worse now then they were 3 years ago. Another reason why iOS legacy is better than iOS today. Every device that supported iOS 6 didn't have terrible performance (besides the iPod touch 4G) even the iPhone 3GS had good performance on 6 and still does.

Lets face it, iOS is a joke now.
A joke that most make use of just fine and many even prefer and like. That's certainly some joke.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If you think I trash Apple then you probably never heard of me on these forums. I owned a lot of Apple products, I really like what this company make. However I'm tired to decide between more features or better performance whereas before I would just hit the "update" button and everything was fine after that.
I don't expect my device to work as good as it was after 5 years of usage but seeing worse performance and bugs after only one major upgrade (less than a year) is a big example of poor optimization.

Think about iPhone, iPad and Mac sales declining and don't tell me that Apple isn't getting worse and worse these days.

People have always complained about Apple, of course they do there is no "perfect" company but in the past people were complaining about how iOS started to look outdated or how Apple control everything in iOS but they never ever complained about performance, stability or reliability.

And by the way, I need to clarify something. I have no complaints about how iOS 9 run on my iPhone SE and iPad mini 4. I can see the occasional lag or hiccup but it's rare and doesn't bother me at all because it's nowhere near the lag fest that my old iPhone 5s was on iOS 9 (which was perfectly fine when I got it on 7.1.1 by the way).
So why am I complaining about performance ? Because not everyone have the latest and greatest iPhone or iPad from 2015/2016 and because I know that my devices will eventually become trash if I upgrade them to iOS 10. This has happened before multiple times and I have no doubt it will also happen at the end of the year.

And to finish, may I ask you something ? Are you using reduce motion and/or increase contrast on your devices ? This may explain why you can't see the lags and stutters on iOS 9.
Tried it both ways on 6s and 5s. No real difference that I can tell. But I don't focus on that stuff.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Downloading asap (try and get in ahead of mad rush) then wait to see how it behaves being installed and running.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I might download the beta on my iPad, but I'm not sure. I'm just looking forward to the new features and seeing what others find.

Testing software at home is kind of a mixed bag for me.
[doublepost=1465829755][/doublepost]
Downloading asap (try and get in ahead of mad rush) then wait to see how it behaves being installed and running.
Hopefully you're not counting on performance improvements on a developer beta. Performance is very difficult to fix and often takes a while to update.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
I might download the beta on my iPad, but I'm not sure. I'm just looking forward to the new features and seeing what others find.

Testing software at home is kind of a mixed bag for me.
[doublepost=1465829755][/doublepost]
Hopefully you're not counting on performance improvements on a developer beta. Performance is very difficult to fix and often takes a while to update.

Hell no. I'm banking on the battery life being atrocious, crashes, maybe some data loss or corruption and it acting like the first beta it will be :)

The thing with linking your iCloud account (contacts calendar photo library etc) to a beta....
Reason they say to use a test device! (Not that we all do but, waiting for beta 2-4 seems at least a little less dangerous if it's your main phone and accounts linked)

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I have no access to this list.
Every developer has access to the list of devices under the Dev profile. If you don't pay for it then you won't have access. If you've paid someone else or have asked help from someone to add your UDID to the list of development devices then just ask him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.