Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Having been using it for the last several months, I've gotten used to it :) Don't think I could go back to the old style. Also, looking at my friends updating to it on Facebook, most of them love it... I think this update is going to do better with public opinion than people thought it was.

Barbariska

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2007
I am not a newbie, but absolutely dislike this upgrade! I am not even mentioning that something happened and 3/4 of my apps did not sync back to my phone. There are features that I use all the time - like time on top of the screen (not on the lock screen) but when the phone is on - I just can't see it, it's too little. mail app - I keep doing "edit", "mark all mails read", it does it but then couple minutes later - I see more than 5000 unread e-mails again. Nothing but frustaration. It was never like this with previous upgrades and I am an Iphone user for at least 4-5 years. Left phone 100% charged before went to bed, in the morning missed all my alaram - the phone just drained the battery and was dead. I think the system is buggy and was not ready for release. I myself work in IT so I know that pressure sometimes is enourmous and companies release not tested software, I feel this is what happened with IOS 7.

Umbrarian

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
This is now second in a row less than stellar IOS release in a row.

Let us not forget Apple Maps debacle....

----------

The animation when you go from the lock screen to the home screen is stupid and a waste of time.

Agreed. When I unlock the phone it is because I want to use it, stop delaying me from doing that.

GoodtobetheKing

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2010
Steve is rolling in his grave. He never would have allowed such a colorful OS.

I don't think there's anything wrong with color at all. The functionality of iOS 7 is great. I really like the lock screen and the control panel; but the design behind the icons, general UI, and some of the stock apps? It feels REALLY lazy.

I mean take a look at Newsstand for instance.

1a.jpg

It's a grey gradient with two words on the bottom. It looks like it was designed in an afternoon. Where's the character? Where's the polish? I generally feel that way about the rest of the stock apps as well.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
I am not a newbie, but absolutely dislike this upgrade! I am not even mentioning that something happened and 3/4 of my apps did not sync back to my phone. There are features that I use all the time - like time on top of the screen (not on the lock screen) but when the phone is on - I just can't see it, it's too little. mail app - I keep doing "edit", "mark all mails read", it does it but then couple minutes later - I see more than 5000 unread e-mails again. Nothing but frustaration. It was never like this with previous upgrades and I am an Iphone user for at least 4-5 years. Left phone 100% charged before went to bed, in the morning missed all my alaram - the phone just drained the battery and was dead. I think the system is buggy and was not ready for release. I myself work in IT so I know that pressure sometimes is enourmous and companies release not tested software, I feel this is what happened with IOS 7.

The same can be said for other releases. This is also your experience, and not everyone is having these issues...

iOS 5 Issues: Users upgrading experiencing lost/deleted apps, and data. Trouble upgrading from iOS 4.

iOS 6 Issues: Users having Wi-Fi issues, Antenna issues [Yes, they did release a fix for the antenna, and it just wasn't a hardware only issue], MS Exchange issues, and problems with creating Calendar events.

Every new release will have some issues. Chances are 7.0.2 will be out in a couple of weeks, and fix some of the glaring issues.

iOSOS

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
RIP Apple. How can anybody in their right mind like iOS 7 over iOS 6. This is so bad! Sell your Apple stock now.

The features in iOS 7 are fantastic but the design is mind numbing awkward. Jony ive has no taste. How did he manage to get a job at Apple??

GoodtobetheKing

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2010
RIP Apple. How can anybody in their right mind like iOS 7 over iOS 6. This is so bad! Sell your Apple stock now.

The features in iOS 7 are fantastic but the design is mind numbing awkward. Jony ive has no taste. How did he manage to get a job at Apple??

I think that's going a bit too far. His DNA is involved in everything at Apple. But the problem here I think is that they went a bit overboard in re-design. There's no question he's a great designer and has made some fantastic cases for Apple products.

iOSOS

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
I think that's going a bit too far. His DNA is involved in everything at Apple. But the problem here I think is that they went a bit overboard in re-design. There's no question he's a great designer and has made some fantastic cases for Apple products.

He must have had some really talented hardware designers under him or it's just the thing that he is not a software designer. Ive has bad software design taste and Cook must be a paper boss only thinking about of to maximize manufacturing speed.

Impuls3101

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2013
I agree Apple wanted to make a point of going in the complete opposite direction of iOS 6. If they had given users a design somewhere in the middle of iOS 6's gloss and flat iOS 7 it would be a much easier transition. iOS 6 felt like a Masterpiece where iOS 7 feel like a great art project. The features are nice its just doesn't have that polished apple wow factor.

iCarabma

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2012
I love thinking about the OP's on these many, many trolly threads.

"I want it start a new thread about how much I hate this but I need a new angle."

- Steve Jobs would have never.... No, somebody did that

- It looks too childish... Damn. No.

- Jumped the shark... OMG, that's it. Hurry get it in.

Djay

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2009
If it were just feasible to have 2 or 3 color palette selections maybe the nausea factor would be reduced for some.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Then what is it? The UI is a bit different, but the CORE SYSTEM is not a huge step forward. OS 9 to OS 10 was a massive step forward, thus the comparison remains inaccurate.

The 64bit support alone is much more than a "point update", and the UI is almost totally a new one ....

lionqueen

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2009
At first I was like -wtf-... but i'm getting used to it. It's ok.

That's kind of the whole problem though. Apple needs to do better than "just ok". I honestly feel like they're trying to "catch up" to Android in the UI department, and that's just not what they should be doing. They should be innovating, not playing catch up.

They need another Steve Jobs...and there is none. Well I'm sure there are brilliant people out there, but Apple is never going to let them be responsible for something as big as the iPhone's UI, so.... I honestly am not very excited about the future of Apple. Unless they get someone with vision in there, they're going to slowly turn into just another tech company.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
How many of the people complaining about iOS 7 are the same ones who complained that iOS 6 was getting "stale"?

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
It shouldn't have to mature at this point. This isnt like any OS upgrades in the past. We are way beyond a simple tweaking to make the devise faster. By Apple's own admission this is the most significant release since the iPhone... By that admission, Apple is going with a "follow the Android" crowd decision rather than being its own platform and innovator. If its gonna look like a android but not have any SD slots and be controlled by a propitiatory program like iTunes, then why even buy a Apple product. I suspect this will be the reasoning of alot of current die hard Apple owners that will jump ship. New is not always better. The ios7 reminds me of New Coke. Coke wanted to taste like Pepsi and now Apple wants to look like a Android. Sure some people liked it but in general it was a colossal and epic mistake.

If visuals are all you're worried about, switch to Android or downgrade to iOS 6. For me and most of us here iOS works better than Andriod, regardless of what it looks like.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
It shouldn't have to mature at this point. This isnt like any OS upgrades in the past. We are way beyond a simple tweaking to make the devise faster. By Apple's own admission this is the most significant release since the iPhone... By that admission, Apple is going with a "follow the Android" crowd decision rather than being its own platform and innovator. If its gonna look like a android but not have any SD slots and be controlled by a propitiatory program like iTunes, then why even buy a Apple product. I suspect this will be the reasoning of alot of current die hard Apple owners that will jump ship. New is not always better. The ios7 reminds me of New Coke. Coke wanted to taste like Pepsi and now Apple wants to look like a Android. Sure some people liked it but in general it was a colossal and epic mistake.

Actually I quite like iOS7,though I've used it only a short time.

Last edited:

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Everyone keeps complaining cause it looks and feels like android. I think that is for ppl who happen to detest android. So now they are not happy that Apple has mimicked them. Personally I am digging that android/webos feel. I may not like the icons. But the features to me are great!

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
If it were just feasible to have 2 or 3 color palette selections maybe the nausea factor would be reduced for some.

This would definitely help. I don't mind the flatness or the new design except for all the white on white. Really fatigues the eyes.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011
...jump the shark.......tank?
it's shark tank week.
I don't think there's anything wrong with color at all. The functionality of iOS 7 is great. I really like the lock screen and the control panel; but the design behind the icons, general UI, and some of the stock apps? It feels REALLY lazy.

I mean take a look at Newsstand for instance.

It's a grey gradient with two words on the bottom. It looks like it was designed in an afternoon. Where's the character? Where's the polish? I generally feel that way about the rest of the stock apps as well.

my god that's awful! the design team has really lost it's way.

TerrorCandii

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
I feel it looks cleaner. The old UI was dated looking, and resembled Windows Vista too much. I for one am extremely happy of the update thus far. I was an Android extremist, and the only resemblance is of MIUI...which was a mimic of iPhone anyways. Loving my new iPhone 5, and the update just made me happier. Love the simplicity.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
The animation when you go from the lock screen to the home screen is stupid and a waste of time.

Also, the new folders layout is actually hurting the ergonomics of the phone. On the iPod touch/iPhone where you had 10-16 apps in a folder under iOS 6 now requires 2 pages in the folder instead of one on iOS 7. For the iPad, it's even worse, a full folder on iOS 6 (20 apps) now take 3 pages withing a folder on iOS 7.

it actually helps the ergonomics of the phone if you look at it from a logistical standpoint.

the old method would take an icon with three apps in a row and turn it into a spread of 4 icons in a row. if you wanted to go to the fourth app in a folder, in the icon it would be the first app in the second row, and once the folder would open, it would be in the exact opposite place: the last app in the first row.

this was very anti-intuitive, would lead to user lag unless you were fully used to the system moving icons around like that.

now that the folders match the contents of the folder icon, things are a lot more fluid, it's quicker to go from clicking the folder to clicking the icon you want, because you can already visually see exactly where it is. in this way it's more ergonomic.

for people with dozens of apps in a folder, while it throws a bunch of apps to the next page, there is no longer such a low limit on the amount of apps you can have in one folder. not sure about you, but i hated having multiple folders devoted to the same category of apps. another problem which has been solved in an ergonomic way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.