Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
After hearing all the negative things about iOS 11, I didn't feel like starting all over again with the glitches and slowdowns that happen every year with a new iOS release, so I simply never updated (since there's no way to downgrade if I'm unhappy with the update).

I'm happily still on iOS 10.3.3 and I have no regrets. It's rock solid and fast. No home button lag (iPhone 7 Plus) and I honestly prefer the animations on iOS 10 compared to iOS 11.

Kalloud

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2016
I'm glad to be on 10.3.3, too.
My 6s is running great and I plan to upgrade in the summer to the last and most stable versions of iOS 11 because if I don't upgrade before September, iOS 12 will drop and I will only have the option to upgrade directly to iOS 12 which will certainly be even slower and buggier than the last version of iOS 11. And some apps I use will start to require higher iOS versions than iOS 10.
That's the best plan for me, I know I may sacrifice some security and some features but performance is way more important for me. I also don't like the design changes in iOS 11 and almost no feature in it is really interesting for me.

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
I'm glad to be on 10.3.3, too.
My 6s is running great and I plan to upgrade in the summer to the last and most stable versions of iOS 11 because if I don't upgrade before September, iOS 12 will drop and I will only have the option to upgrade directly to iOS 12 which will certainly be even slower and buggier than the last version of iOS 11. And some apps I use will start to require higher iOS versions than iOS 10.
That's the best plan for me, I know I may sacrifice some security and some features but performance is way more important for me. I also don't like the design changes in iOS 11 and almost no feature in it is really interesting for me.

That's a good tactic. I'm planning to do the same with my iPhone X. Speed is more important for me.

MjWoNeR

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2010
Sweden
I have a 5S as a back up phone in a drawer. Seeing as it’s the oldest phone compatible with iOS 11, I’m keeping it in iOS 10.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
If there will be option to downgrade I will do it. Never listen to people who say that iOS 11 is fast and fluid and recommend to update!!

The trick is to realize that the people who say that are either developers or don't notice bugs/poor performance :p

Personally I'm glad I'm on 10.3 now, but I actually really wish I could go back to 9.3 on my iPhone 6. Still have a 4S on iOS 6 (not in daily use) and a 5 on iOS 7 (daily use).

chilman

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2011
I'm on 10.3.2 iphone 7. I'm still skeptical to update to 11.2 it seems it still has problems that aren't fix yet. I wonder why apple couldn't fix old problems without creating new ones. Maybe someday. I wait for a couple months and see how this progress

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Yup. I'm never updating my iphone 7 from ios 10.3.3. (A dark mode would temp me though)

Also are we in the clear of this whole cpu throlling with worn batteries? Or is that not exclusive to ios 11?

Reactions: PizzaBoxStyle

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
You are all missing features and security fixes in my opinion. 11.2 is as fast if not faster than 10.3 (iPhone 7) besides some graphical glitches that randomly happen. I still understand those who prefer to be safe than sorry by staying in the older versions although sooner or later you will be forced to update by one way or another.

arman94

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
You are all missing features and security fixes in my opinion. 11.2 is as fast if not faster than 10.3 (iPhone 7) besides some graphical glitches that randomly happen. I still understand those who prefer to be safe than sorry by staying in the older versions although sooner or later you will be forced to update by one way or another.
I will totally not agree about performance. It is definitely not as fast as in 10.3.3. And during the time it will become much slower. Who need that fast A10 Fusion chip, when overall performance is lacking.

honam1021

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
Pretty satisfied with my 9.7 Pro on 10.3.3

I have been contemplating about updating since 11.2 came out because Civ 6 on the go is really tempting and Safari tabs no longer sync with my MBP after updating it to High Sierra, but on the other hand the bugs and battery life are still pretty bad from what I've heard (tried 11.0GM for a week before rolling back).

Makayla

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2016
Depends on the device. I never upgraded my 5s and if I had a 6 or 6s I would stay put too.

Last edited:
Reactions: KishanKissoon

darrylcn

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2015
6S Plus owner here. HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHECK YES. tvOS profile installed. As smooth and fluid to use as day one, unlike the iPad Air I've got which the previous owner, not having had their device cripppled to frustrating levels my 6S Plus will never see, upgraded.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
I was going to go back to 10.3.3, downloaded the ipsw file and then got distracted. When I went back about a week later and tried to downgrade,  had quit signing it so no go. Sigh.

darrylcn

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2015
That's too bad Marty. I figured out (IE watched a YouTube video demonstrating) how to download old versions of apps from the App Store about three days before it finished being signed so I was able to do a fresh .ipsw install and set up as a new phone, installing apps one at a time. This iPad, on the other hand, was OTA upgraded from 7x over the years and I don't want to lose 10.0.2 on it so I'm stuck. Best I can do is a reset all settings and set up as new.

Reactions: Martyimac

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
After hearing all the negative things about iOS 11, I didn't feel like starting all over again with the glitches and slowdowns that happen every year with a new iOS release, so I simply never updated (since there's no way to downgrade if I'm unhappy with the update).

I'm happily still on iOS 10.3.3 and I have no regrets. It's rock solid and fast. No home button lag (iPhone 7 Plus) and I honestly prefer the animations on iOS 10 compared to iOS 11.

Same here iOS 10.3.3 works great!

I did not upgrade to iOS11 because I have quite a few apps that will not work on iOS11 - 32 bit or the developers bailed because of apple rules and other hurdles for them to stay on the App store. Many of these apps I paid for and work fine even though they have been long gone from the apple store. Why give them up or find and pay for a similar app?

Also I have an iPhone 6 that works fine but dies at about 40% and shuts down, so I need a new battery. I have had the screen replaced by a local phone repair shop and probably will not qualify for the $29 battery because it was not serviced by apple. I will pay the regular price for a new battery and hope that staying on iOS10.3.3 will last for a while and be able to use the apps.

Strangely I also have a iPhone 4S that I use regularly and works fine with the original battery.

I think Apple is now definitely focused on generating growth and new sales by quickly upgrading as many users forward as they can. Each new iOS slows down older devices and leaves users no choice but to purchase new - simply because there is no way to go back to the original iOS that came with the iPhone or iPad.

Apple could easily allow each user to download and go back to the iOS that came with each original device and let customers choose "performance vs new features"

I am going to be much more careful about upgrading apple iOS going forward.

Last edited:

darrylcn

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2015
Absolutely. And I wish apple would just add a paragraph in the agreement about "it's on you if you get compromised on security" (I'm no lawyer ;) ) and let us. Other than slowly writing off old devices I can't see the logic of preventing downgrades. Other than the iPad Air I mentioned every one of the many iOS devices I own are one iteration above what they were released with and all are blazing fast.

Reactions: mikzn

arman94

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2012
I have just checked Geekbench for my iPhone 7 single (2648) multi (4560) and the original results from Februar 2017 is
single (3576) multi (6029). So I was blaming to iOS 11 , however the case of slowness is connected with the battery. I have lost up to 35% of the performance. So I am highly recommend either stay on 10.3.3 or upgrade to iOS 11 but change battery to get full performance. I will try to exchange battery after holidays

Guilherme1995

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2015
I'm glad I stayed on 10.3.1 on my 5s. Also, recommended my mom to stay on 10.3.2 on 6s. Now both are put on 10.3.x and with tvOS installed.

Best decision I've made since I bought my 5s in 2015. As the 5s wasn't affected by Apple's throttling, mine is still flying even with a 3 years old battery, that is begging to be replaced (unexpectedly dying at 40, 30, 20%...).

So I'll just buy a new battery and stay forever on 10.3.1 with a soon to be released Jailbreak. :)

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I have a 5S as a back up phone in a drawer. Seeing as it’s the oldest phone compatible with iOS 11, I’m keeping it in iOS 10.
Lol. Meanwhile, the iPhone 5s is my only device running iOS 11. Needed to enable iCloud Storage Family Sharing but I didn't want to update any of my daily drivers until I've put iOS 11 through its paces.

By the looks of it, I'll be skipping iOS 11 entirely. Will probably just buy a new device when I want new firmware. That's kinda what I've done before anyway because of slowdowns due to firmware bloat. Hopefully, the next iteration would have 5G already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.