Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleUserDownSouth

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2018
No, I'm not happy at all with 10.3.3. iOS 10.3 introduced a problem that some Safari Web Data files cannot be deleted. What started out for me as three 0-byte files is now over a dozen consuming 1.8Mbytes and growing. Not to mention the fact that having certain undeletable web-data files is another security concern. I've contacted Apple Support for most releases since 10.3.2, only to have them confirm that the problem is not fixed and that they are still "working on it". My wife is still on an older 10.2.1 release for her devices and she's not having these issues (although she's beginning to see other issues with newer Apps so she's going to need to update to resolve those problems).

From what I can tell, this issue appears to be a file corruption issue associated with the major change of using the Apple File System (APFS) introduced in iOS 10.3. They cannot be deleted. Backing up Apps and its data appears to backup the corrupted file, so when restored, the files are still there and still cannot be deleted. I shudder to think what other App's data files are orphaned eating up memory that can't be reclaimed. And I don't know how much of APFS is implemented in hardware or the chipsets in the devices so I hope that this isn't another hardware issue like were seeing with the Spectre and Meltdown hacks.

Apple needs to spend some time at fix this issue. It continues to be a problem on all iOS 11 releases and unless fixed in upcoming Spectre patch, will continue to be an issue.

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
No, I'm not happy at all with 10.3.3. iOS 10.3 introduced a problem that some Safari Web Data files cannot be deleted. What started out for me as three 0-byte files is now over a dozen consuming 1.8Mbytes and growing. Not to mention the fact that having certain undeletable web-data files is another security concern. I've contacted Apple Support for most releases since 10.3.2, only to have them confirm that the problem is not fixed and that they are still "working on it". My wife is still on an older 10.2.1 release for her devices and she's not having these issues (although she's beginning to see other issues with newer Apps so she's going to need to update to resolve those problems).

From what I can tell, this issue appears to be a file corruption issue associated with the major change of using the Apple File System (APFS) introduced in iOS 10.3. They cannot be deleted. Backing up Apps and its data appears to backup the corrupted file, so when restored, the files are still there and still cannot be deleted. I shudder to think what other App's data files are orphaned eating up memory that can't be reclaimed. And I don't know how much of APFS is implemented in hardware or the chipsets in the devices so I hope that this isn't another hardware issue like were seeing with the Spectre and Meltdown hacks.

Apple needs to spend some time at fix this issue. It continues to be a problem on all iOS 11 releases and unless fixed in upcoming Spectre patch, will continue to be an issue.

Well if it's still a problem on ios 11 then might as well stay on 10.3.3. Ios 11 has far more bugs than just web data files.

PR1985

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2016
Germany
Update now or switch to Android, same experience. Spectre+ Meltdown!

iOS 11.2.2 and two iOS 10 devices, waiting for a fix for those.

kaidou1412

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2017
I just purchased Mint iPhone 7 Product Red. It has iOS 10.3.1 installed. Is there any major difference that I need to worry compare to 10.3.2 or 10.3.3?
Thank you.

darrylcn

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2015
Unless you have an iPhone 5 or something that's maxed out at 10.3.3 you can't. It's not being signed sadly, which is why this thread was such a big deal when it was created. Apple briefly resigned some versions and we got to choose to downgrade/upgrade to what we wanted.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This should help. Also ugh every notification about this thread makes me expect they've opened the floodgates again heh.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1893?locale=en_CA
Unless you have an iPhone 5 or something that's maxed out at 10.3.3 you can't. It's not being signed sadly, which is why this thread was such a big deal when it was created. Apple briefly resigned some versions and we got to choose to downgrade/upgrade to what we wanted.
I don't think that's why the thread was originally created, given that the whole thing with signing happed after the thread was already going. It doesn't really seem like that whole signing thing even got brought up in this thread when it was happening (or even after).

It sounds like a thread like PSA! Up to iOS 10.3 Re-Signing! might be a better one to keep an eye on (in case something like that happens again and someone will post an update in that thread).

darrylcn

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2015
Ugh. I confused the two threads sorry. Don't watch tv and forum reply I guess! Some of what I said was accurate at least. Apparently I'm also subscribed to this thread, happily being on 10.3.3 and all..

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Sticking with 10.3 on my 6S and will never upgrade the phone. Funnily, I run iOS 11 on my Air 2 which has more headroom. I see iPhones as 5 year investments but usually churn iPads every three years.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Big whoop. What about people who can't update?

It is a big deal.

Considering that virtually every computing device is affected, and how easy it is to steal genuinely useful information, and how attacks using these methods cannot be detected, and how it is simply delivered via Javascript on a website--well you can bet every single black hat on the planet is trying to figure out how to implement this.

That's why Apple needs to provide security fixes beyond just iOS11.

Reactions: MartyvH

smorrissey

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2015
Big whoop. What about people who can't update?

Well the only device i can't update here on my side is an ipod touch 5, anyways is pointless to update it its so old and slow and battery its...still i'm using to stream Apple Music but that's all i'm not pretending to do anything else with it.

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
Tried iOS 11 and then downgraded my 6s back to 10.3.3. The battery drain on iOS 11 was terrible despite having a brand new battery. A clean install with setting up the phone as new didn't help either. I think that some 6s phones are simply incompatible with iOS 11.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
I’m lucky I guess.

The only major bug I’ve ever experienced was when web links would freeze up the iPhone.

I have ios11 on my iPad Air 2 and it’s running like butter.

My original iPad 2 is a different story.

MartyvH

Contributor
Sep 16, 2017
Glad to still be in the iOS Resistance on my iPhone SE. It shipped last September 18 with 10.3.2 and upgraded the day after to 10.3.3.

The update domains are blocked in my home router and through the Never Allow websites list in Restrictions (FWIW). That will help to keep the wolves outside.

Though I fear that Meltdown/Spectre will force my hand on an upgrade. I'm hoping to hold out until at least 11.3. Like people in a zombie movie sitting behind the barricades running out of food and guns, I wonder what the use of fighting is anymore. I'll have to make the call. (Credit to Jonathan Coulton :D)

Last edited:

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Tried iOS 11 and then downgraded my 6s back to 10.3.3. The battery drain on iOS 11 was terrible despite having a brand new battery. A clean install with setting up the phone as new didn't help either. I think that some 6s phones are simply incompatible with iOS 11.
I purposely am sticking with iOS 10.3.3 on my 6S so I can get five years from it. I prefer to set my hardware upgrade path instead of Apple.
[doublepost=1520692009][/doublepost]

I have ios11 on my iPad Air 2 and it’s running like butter.
Ive kept my Air 2 current and so far so good. I’ll wait a good while before deciding on ios12 but lately I’ve become a member of the resistance to Lord Cook.
[doublepost=1520692084][/doublepost]
My old iPhone 7 is on iOS 10. Never bothered to upgrade. It’s no longer my main phone.
Isn’t the 7 like brand newish? How can it be “old” given I recently bought a refurbished 6S after five glorious years with a 5?

Crunch

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2008
Crazy L.A.
After hearing all the negative things about iOS 11, I didn't feel like starting all over again with the glitches and slowdowns that happen every year with a new iOS release, so I simply never updated (since there's no way to downgrade if I'm unhappy with the update).

I'm happily still on iOS 10.3.3 and I have no regrets. It's rock solid and fast. No home button lag (iPhone 7 Plus) and I honestly prefer the animations on iOS 10 compared to iOS 11.

Oh boy, I am super happy to still be on 10.3. (.1 in my case) My iPad that I almost never use is on iOS 11.1.1 currently and I pretty much hate the new App Store.

I'm glad to be on 10.3.3, too.
My 6s is running great and I plan to upgrade in the summer to the last and most stable versions of iOS 11 because if I don't upgrade before September, iOS 12 will drop and I will only have the option to upgrade directly to iOS 12 which will certainly be even slower and buggier than the last version of iOS 11. And some apps I use will start to require higher iOS versions than iOS 10.
That's the best plan for me, I know I may sacrifice some security and some features but performance is way more important for me. I also don't like the design changes in iOS 11 and almost no feature in it is really interesting for me.

Ditto! I am still on a 6s as well and will remain on it indefinitely at this point it looks like. I used to always get the latest iPhone, but the removal of the 3.5mm audio jack was a deal breaker for me. I also enjoy an actual home button, as opposed to the one that you can no longer depress and that just vibrates in the iPhone 7 and 8. But it's really the audio jack for me mainly...

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I purposely am sticking with iOS 10.3.3 on my 6S so I can get five years from it. I prefer to set my hardware upgrade path instead of Apple.
This. I had a 6s that was handed down to a family member. It was - and still is - on iOS 9.3.3 running flawlessly.
Battery life was always good and there is no lag. It will stay there, despite the constant update nagging.

Last edited:

smbu2000

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2014
Still have my 7plus on 10.3.3. Runs great and is super speedy just like when I first bought it on release. Updated my iPad Pro 10.5 to ios11 and it seems to be slower and does more page refreshes in Safari than my 7plus on ios10 even though it has a faster SOC (A10X vs A10) and more RAM (4GB vs 3GB). (Both are 256GB models)

I wish I could put my iPad back on ios10, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.