Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2017
iPhone SE 2024
iPhone mini
iPhone 6.1"
iPhone 6.7"

Remove previous years models, in other words, stop selling them... Drop the Pro and Pro Max naming convention...

2013 lineup was the best, before Plus was introduced...

iPhone 4s and iPhone 5c to me are the best phones in terms of physical prior to Plus iPhones...

We might have to make room for an Ultra next year. But yea, I’ve got no disagreements over your ideal lineup.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Pick up a 4 or 4S and use it a bit. See how nicely it fits into your hand. Enjoy the experience of the elegant OS. Plug in a nice pair of non-disposable headphones into the standard headphone jack and enjoy lossless audio.

I do like my Apple Watch a lot, though one big factor in my deciding to buy it was not having to carry around a brick of a modern smartphone.
I disagree. iPhone 4 or 4s look tiny now. The screen was terrible, too small. I am glad I don’t have to deal with wires/headphone jacks. I like the AirPods over the clumsy wires any day. I like current designs after Apple abandoned the Skeuomorphic crap. It’s more elegant, and beautiful with flat design for larger screens. There is a reason IPhone mini sales were terrible.

Last edited:

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
iPhone SE 2024
iPhone mini
iPhone 6.1"
iPhone 6.7"

Remove previous years models, in other words, stop selling them... Drop the Pro and Pro Max naming convention...

2013 lineup was the best, before Plus was introduced...

iPhone 4s and iPhone 5c to me are the best phones in terms of physical prior to Plus iPhones...
I like the current line up. More options and pretty clear what they mean/do. iPhone 14/15 plus was missing link. I am glad Apple added it to go with PM.
iPhone SE (entry level with Touch ID)
iPhone 16 (smaller screen/6.1)
iPhone 16 Plus( Larger screen with out premium features of Pro Max)
iPhone 16 Pro( iPhone 16 + premium features)
iPhone 16 PM ( larger and most features.

Just 5 models, covers different price points and screen sizes. May be add an ultra if they can differentiate.

Reactions: Al Rukh

tweaknmod

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
I don’t understand the resistance to options. The argument that it’s confusing boggles my mind… how can more options to suit your needs be a bad thing?

Simply take your time, consider the features available and choose according to your preferences. If anyone finds it literally too confusing, then there are countless forums, videos, and guides to help decide - that and an army of Apple employees.

To have fewer options is to decide what the masses prefer, rather than recognizing the fact that needs preferences and desires are as varied as the people who have them.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
History tells us that Apple introduces the SE every other year.

Between the second and third generation it was only two years but there were four years between the original SE (2016) and the second generation (2020).

I agree but I think we can do without those two models really. Or maybe I’ll have the 13 around for the best-optimised iPhone experience in 2024. There’s not much of a difference between 13 and 14; I’m talking about practical difference. If a user is willing to pay extra dollars for the 14 over 13, he or she can afford to pay another $100 or so for the 15 which is a leap over the 13. Having the 13, 14 and 15 makes the 14 a very bad purchase. Unless someone really wants the colour options of the 14 then sure, I can go with that argument.

It has been a tradition over the past several years for Apple to continue to sell as new at least the base model of a phone for three years (dropping $100 in price in year two and again in year three). Whether or not this continues once the next generation SE comes out in 2024 or 2025 remains to be seen.

The 14 offers emergency SOS and roadside assistance via satellite, and crash detection while the 13 does not. That may be worth an extra $100 to buyers, along with color differences.

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Well I suppose the iPod lineup was Classic, Touch, Mini and Shuffle. It’s very different from having iPhones 13, 14 and 15 all at the same time. The iPod lineup makes sense - options for different groups of people. The iPhone lineup caters options just because.
But we had that under the Jobs era too. When he passed away Apple was selling the iPhone 4S, 4 and 3GS alongside each other. The only difference was that they were all the same size back then.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I don’t understand the resistance to options. The argument that it’s confusing boggles my mind… how can more options to suit your needs be a bad thing?

Simply take your time, consider the features available and choose according to your preferences. If anyone finds it literally too confusing, then there are countless forums, videos, and guides to help decide - that and an army of Apple employees.

To have fewer options is to decide what the masses prefer, rather than recognizing the fact that needs preferences and desires are as varied as the people who have them.
I would imagine that it is the mentality of "what I think is what everyone else thinks (or should think)". Some people want to take away options from others because it confuses them. Never mind that others who might like options are NOT confused.

Doesn't matter though, because Apple isn't run by people in an Apple forum.

Reactions: LalaN and tweaknmod

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Pick up a 4 or 4S and use it a bit. See how nicely it fits into your hand. Enjoy the experience of the elegant OS. Plug in a nice pair of non-disposable headphones into the standard headphone jack and enjoy lossless audio.
I have the 4 and 4s. Both are too small. So is my iPhone 5. Oh sure, they fit in my hand - but I don't use my phones one-handed anyway. I prefer larger screens, like my 6 Plus, 6s Plus and 11PM.

I also have non-disposable headphones. They're made by Shokz (formerly AfterShokz) and are bone conduction. The Aeropex model. I hate anything that fits inside or on my ears. I'm not an audiophile and I don't use or care much for anything using a headphone jack. My Aeropex are Bluetooth and I couldn't tell if they were lossy to save my life.

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
Simply take your time, consider the features available and choose according to your preferences.

People resist because they want to be spoon fed their choices, protected from having to make decisions, and sold a set of ideas for how something is supposed to work. Oh, and do so in the most over-the-top P.T. Barnum manner possible.

Again: Jobs still dead. Reports indicate likely to remain dead. And with it, his particular combination of sideshow huckster and visionary. Apple is a different company now operating in a very different marketplace.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
People resist because they want to be spoon fed their choices, protected from having to make decisions, and sold a set of ideas for how something is supposed to work.
Agree. But also, I'd add one further point. If people have their choices made for them it's very easy to blame someone else (and not yourself) if the choice goes bad on you.

People will go a very long way to avoid taking responsibility for their choices/actions.

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
If people have their choices made for them it's very easy to blame someone else (and not yourself) if the choice goes bad on you.

Exactly this. Perfect.

Making complex decisions on products, services, or ideas, takes research, focus, and discipline. Surprise, the three things that are utterly missing from modern life.

zach-coleman

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2022
Well I suppose the iPod lineup was Classic, Touch, Mini and Shuffle. It’s very different from having iPhones 13, 14 and 15 all at the same time. The iPod lineup makes sense - options for different groups of people. The iPhone lineup caters options just because.
The iPods were expensive for an mp3 player but they were still relatively affordable. $800 + Tax isn't going to be good price for many people anytime soon.

JoForumBlueGold

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2020
The over produced Apple events these days are there for I think 2 reasons, 1) Tim isn't a confident guy, and 2) he wants to show his products working (and with all the bugs these days, there's probably a high degree of chance a bug would appear during a demo). I do miss the spectacle of the Jobs live keynotes.
I might be in the minority that do not miss the live keynotes, especially after the last live keynotes in 2018 and 2019. The over-the-top screaming reactions from the audience for every little thing (October 2018 especially) got a bit too much, and some of the reactions like the audible gasp to the $1000 Pro display XDR stand were hilarious if not embarrassing.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
Well I assume you got the 14 Pro refurbished from Apple or from non-Apple stores. Which is all good.

I did - but only because at the time I wanted to buy it, the local Apple Store didn’t have the config I wanted. They still had some 14 Pros lying around but only storage configs that I didn’t want to pay for. So I went and bought it on Amazon - albeit not in the color I wanted because that would have been more expensive…

But honestly, I’d rather they offered them in store still.
Make it small table in the back somewhere with just one Pro and one Pro Max or something.

‘You want a large screen that doesn’t break the bank? Get the 15 Plus! Sorry, you said you want the 14 Plus? No you don’t.’
Yeah, if someone told me that in a store, that’d be a bad review and I’d never buy stuff there again :D

Reactions: TechnoMonk

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
Sure, they were interesting, but I only miss them in the nostalgic sense. I miss the Apple IIc as well, which was under Steve, but just because I played games on one in elementary school.

The phones under him fit the style and tech available at the time. They wouldn't work today....other than size. I do miss the 5/5S sizes, but I'm a minority.

cateye

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
I might be in the minority that do not miss the live keynotes, especially after the last live keynotes in 2018 and 2019.

The live keynotes had their place. When Apple was teetering on bankruptcy and unable to capture attention (much less sales), they had a bullish, "we're still here" quality to them. They were unabashed, unashamed marketing bravado, and there are few people other than Jobs who could have pulled them off.

But, as Apple started to grow again, gather attention and skyrocket back to relevancy, they started their inevitable slide toward self-parody. It's like watching a football receiver spike the ball, point to the heavens, drop to his knees and make a huge deal every time he catches a pass. That doesn't make you the GOAT, it makes you a moron.

The current keynotes, while over-long, over-produced, and slick to a fault, at least follow a strict structure: Present a new product or idea, Explain why it's better, Aside to authority to explain technology, close with a summary. Nothing that couldn't be accomplished with a press release, too, but, you know. People don't read anymore.

No one loves the sound of its own voice quite as much as Apple does, so there's going to be some level of excess no matter what. But dear god, the live keynotes were cringeworthy toward the end. So bad.

Reactions: JoForumBlueGold

OneBar

Suspended
Dec 2, 2022
... They should trim the fat in their iPhone lineup. ...
What fat? Apple expended resources to produce parts that you say they should just scrap now. Or Apple can sell them at a reduced cost, make a little profit off of them, and pass that savings to consumers as lower priced items. These are not refurb items; they are NIB. They're just last year's models (or the year before that for the 13).

Reactions: TechnoMonk

ThatWildOne92

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2023
If anything Apples lineup simplified..
They no longer sell iPods or iPod Touch.
They have a consumer tier and a pro tier iPhone lineup.
The iPad lineup is the most Frankenstein thing Apple sells right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.