Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miha_v

macrumors regular
May 18, 2018
I think iPhones generally evolved nicely, but I doubt we would see big protruding camera bumps under his leadership. Doubt we would see display notches as well, Steve was way too perfectionistic for compromises like that. He would probably push like crazy on the team to find another way to implement front & back cameras. Not saying what we currently have is bad (it works). Just sayin...

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Me! I really miss the iPhones released under Jobs's leadership. I suspect if Jobs was still around, even if iPhones had Face ID, they'd still also have Touch ID and 90-degree corners on the display (instead of rounded corners). There would be no notch, and no Dynamic Notchland.

Also, we would have faster wired data transfer speeds instead of USB 2.0 (and the slow USB 3.0 on the 15 Pro), with USB 3.0 arriving to iPhones in 2013, then Thunderbolt 2, then Thunderbolt 3, with Thunderbolt 4 on the current iPhones, and Thunderbolt 5 on next year's iPhone.

We'd also have no camera bumps on the rear and thus the phone would lie flat on a flat surface.

We'd also have beautiful and user-friendly skeuomorphism instead of the current ugly and user-unfriendly flat design, which Apple copied from Microsoft. What a gorgeous UI that iOS 6 had! It made things intuitive for elderly people who never used a smartphone because it had culture in the sense that it referenced popular real-world objects.

Tim Cook cannot appreciate such culture because he has no culture. His only culture is that of a beancounter since he is an MBA, and MBAs typically worship soulless companies like McKinsey and Goldman Sachs.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
I do agree with the OP.

take the iPhone lineup, its confusing, its confusing with all the models/colours of the iPhone 15 AND THEN you add the fact you can still buy a number of iPhone 14 & 13 models, and then the SE.

Same sort of issue with the iPad, too many options/models/colours.

they are in fact competing with themselves - it would make sense from a business point of view to have a high end phone/iPad and then an iPhone/iPad meant for the masses. I would love to know the actual sales figures for the myriad of models and colours that are available to buy through the Apple Store. Some most hardly sell, so what's the point?

In Steve's time there was just an iPhone, just an iPad, it was far simpler, the theory being that both models were neither high end nor for the masses, they were just the models apple chose to release, take it or leave it.
Just having one or two models in each annual lineup could never(!) generate the total revenue that the three tiered lineups can, as there would only be one or two models for all needs and thus no way to sell extreme low and high-end options:

$429 SE, with its bottom of the barrel specs, highlights how much more you get by spending just $370 more.

$799 mid-tier, with a mix of acceptable and contemporary specs for its price point, highlights how you get the latest and greatest by just spending $200 more.

Then you’ve agreed to spend $999 and you might as well spend just spend $200 more to get the absolute maximum while also doubling the internal storage.

Brilliant marketing/sales strategy for getting most consumers to spend $1199 if they can afford it.

And also the perfect manipulation as you don’t even consider if any of these prices reflect anything anywhere near the value of the parts and costs of development that goes into them, or what competitors offer you at those price points.

The three tiered Apple value ladder just works too well to go back to the more simple “one size fits everyone” approach lineups.

Higher sales numbers and more total revenue.

-Excepting any for profit business to go in any other direction is futile.

Last edited:

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
The lineup was very compact - two to three storage options and comes in two colours. That’s it. Along with the skeumorphic design of iOS, the entire experience, for me, was enjoyable. iOS was limited but it performs at its best at what it’s designed to do. I’ve never clamoured for a software fix when iOS 6 dropped in 2012.

These days we have an ‘iPhone for everyone’ approach. It made Apple a lot of money and in my opinion, this would be Cook’s legacy - making Apple products mainstream. In contrast to Jobs’ approach of making the best products for those who are loyal to Apple and believe in their process.

However, such mass appeal comes with a price. People are hesitant to upgrade to new OSes, Apple releases some new features but also introduces tens of bugs which may take days to months to fix, a bloated product lineup that lacks focus - the blatant removal of previous Pro iPhones to ensure it doesn’t undercut the latest Pro models but they’re happy to keep last year’s or the year before’s base iPhones. The product lineup may generate a lot of revenue but from an Apple sheep, it seems very ‘out of focus’. I’m not saying we should move backwards. But I long for the day where iOS fixes all the bugs for inconsistencies from previous years and perhaps introduce a much condense product lineup that benefits the users such as - not having a 14 Plus and a 15 Plus available side by side in their official stores.

Another mini thread?

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2017
Me! I really miss the iPhones released under Jobs's leadership. I suspect if Jobs was still around, even if iPhones had Face ID, they'd still also have Touch ID and 90-degree corners on the display (instead of rounded corners). There would be no notch, and no Dynamic Notchland.

Also, we would have faster wired data transfer speeds instead of USB 2.0 (and the slow USB 3.0 on the 15 Pro), with USB 3.0 arriving to iPhones in 2013, then Thunderbolt 2, then Thunderbolt 3, with Thunderbolt 4 on the current iPhones, and Thunderbolt 5 on next year's iPhone.

We'd also have no camera bumps on the rear and thus the phone would lie flat on a flat surface.

We'd also have beautiful and user-friendly skeuomorphism instead of the current ugly and user-unfriendly flat design, which Apple copied from Microsoft. What a gorgeous UI that iOS 6 had! It made things intuitive for elderly people who never used a smartphone because it had culture in the sense that it referenced popular real-world objects.

Tim Cook cannot appreciate such culture because he has no culture. His only culture is that of a beancounter since he is an MBA, and MBAs typically worship soulless companies like McKinsey and Goldman Sachs.

iOS 6 is so beautiful man. That iteration of iOS and the iPhone 5 was the best combination I’ve ever used.

Reactions: ThomasJL

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
i do have fond memories of the 3G to 4S but i don't miss them. after i sold my 4S in late 2013 i didn't have an iphone until 2020 when the 12 Pro Max came out. it reminded me of the design of the 4S which i loved but with a modern take (large screens, no huge disgusting bezels, and no giant charging adapter). it felt like the perfect phone to jump back in. i don't hate the designs of the 5-11. in fact i really really wanted a 5 and the XR.

there is no real reason to want old iphones from the time of Jobs. the hardware and software is archaic. the best apple can do is to be inspired by them and that's what they done with the 12-15. the iphone 4/4S design was so ahead of its time. obviously the design has been changed but the best iphone today is still inspired by it.

JinxVi

Suspended
Dec 13, 2023
The simpler design was only possible and even necessary, because the underlying hardware was still developing very quickly. A single-core, 32-bit, non-Retina iPhone became almost useless just a few years later and people had to upgrade rather sooner than later. Today’s iPhones offer more design choice, because people can be picky and stick to their old iPhone with a 0.5 mm larger bezel for a couple years longer.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
I promise, they don’t only appeal to younger folks. This is a classic case of “I don’t like it so it must be for kids”.
How old exactly do you think I am? It’s definitely stylized in a way to appeal to young people in particular, like, that’s not a secret and has nothing to do with how I like it or not.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
Well I assume you got the 14 Pro refurbished from Apple or from non-Apple stores. Which is all good. Things were similar back in the day too. You can get older gen iPhones from Telco stores and what have you.

But I’m solely talking about Apple’s retail store. They should trim the fat in their iPhone lineup. 15 series, the 13 as a bare-bones entry model and the SE for the people who still wants Touch ID or those who are happy not to learn how to use the gesture based UI of current smartphones. That’s it. No one is gonna throw a fit for not being able to buy a 14/14 Plus.

‘You want a basic iPhone that feels modern? Get the 13.’

‘You want a large screen that doesn’t break the bank? Get the 15 Plus! Sorry, you said you want the 14 Plus? No you don’t. Cough up another $100 and you will, and get the 15 Plus because that’s what you actually want.’
How would that work?
iPhone 15 as the latest, 13 as the „bare bones“?
So next year they sell the 16 and the 14 again?
Also, yes, people would mind not having last years phone directly from Apple. They want Apple Care and apple as their retailer, sometimes especially outside the US like in the EU were you have a mandatory two year warranty, people want to contact Apple directly if something ever goes wrong instead of the shop they got it from.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2017
How would that work?
iPhone 15 as the latest, 13 as the „bare bones“?
So next year they sell the 16 and the 14 again?

They can keep the 13 next year. It’s not unbelievable because Apple has kept the XR around for quite some time as well.

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
They can keep the 13 next year. It’s not unbelievable because Apple has kept the XR around for quite some time as well.
You do realize how ridiculous that would be? They keep selling older phones also because of stock.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2017
You do realize how ridiculous that would be? They keep selling older phones also because of stock.

It’s not ridiculous at all. They do that for the previous years’ Pro series every year. I know why the current lineup exists the way it is today. I’m saying it doesn’t have to be this way and it could have been more compact.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
For sure, I really miss the size of 3, 4 and 5. I did't buy an iPhone until 4, as I had Samsung Flip's and I loved the size of them.

I will keep my 13 mini until it comes something I want. If Apple only sell phablets from now on, I might buy a small Samsung next time around.
I have 2 iPad mini's - 5 & 6, no need for one as a phone too.

Reactions: Ac1d 8urn

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Just going to leave these here…
In this one Steve Jobs email right around the iPhone 4 era, not only does he mention an “iPhone 4+”, but also an “iPhone nano” and a “lower cost iPhone to replace the 3GS.”

clearly, he was at least considering expanding the lineup.

But it wasn’t just the iPhone either…

Not only were they planning on expanding both the iPhone and iPad lineups under Jobs, but… just look at the iPod and the Mac lineup from 2010.
It was a sea of different options and screen sizes and different Intel processors.

People who think Steve would’ve just sat idly by while Samsung starts to dominate the market with massive screen phones like the GS3 and the Note2 and Note3 are living in fantasy land.
The demand for bigger screens throughout the 2010s was a very real thing, no wonder the best selling iPhones of all time were the 6 and 6+.

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
Apple is effectively selling iPhone 15 series + SE, or five models only.

If i go to Apple website from Canada apple is selling 8 different models of iPhone

That’s before configuring storage and colour

Reggaenald

Suspended
Sep 26, 2021
It’s not ridiculous at all. They do that for the previous years’ Pro series every year. I know why the current lineup exists the way it is today. I’m saying it doesn’t have to be this way and it could have been more compact.
Whom would that „more compact lineup“ suit tho?

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
iOS 6 is so beautiful man. That iteration of iOS and the iPhone 5 was the best combination I’ve ever used.
Amen to that! I actually plan on buying a used black iPhone 5 someday, not for use as a smartphone, but just so I can admire the beauty of iOS 6.

Reactions: Al Rukh

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
Amen to that! I actually plan on buying a used black iPhone 5 someday, not for use as a smartphone, but just so I can admire the beauty of iOS 6.
I have iOS 6 running on an iPod touch. My father even has an iPhone 4 running iOS 4. Using them you soon realize how limited of a system they really are compared to modern iOS. It's like comparing Mac OS 9 with macOS 14. I still use OS 9 for nostalgia and old software, but Sonoma is superior in basically every way. Same with iOS.

Reactions: Barbareren

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
I have iOS 6 running on an iPod touch. My father even has an iPhone 4 running iOS 4. Using them you soon realize how limited of a system they really are compared to modern iOS. It's like comparing Mac OS 9 with macOS 14. I still use OS 9 for nostalgia and old software, but Sonoma is superior in basically every way. Same with iOS.
The point my fellow iOS 6 admirers and I are trying to make is that Apple should've kept the same skeuomorphic design as iOS 6, but with all the functionality of the latest OS.

Reactions: Al Rukh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.