Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
I miss it. Because I feel that my iPhone 15 Pro Max is a “spec bump” over my iPhone 11 Pro Max. Sure, dynamic island is new and a nice way to flex on people that I got the latest iPhone, but pretty much else is the same besides the specs.

With Jony Ive + Steve Jobs, the iPhone 15 Pro Max would have been a completely new design for sure.
Between the first MacBook Pro in January 2006 and October 2011, there were 9 updates.
Only one of those updates, October 2008, was a redesign.
Even the original 2006 MacBook Pro was just the design of the previous PowerBooks, that design introduced in 2003.
So between 2003 and 2011, the MBP design was changed… once.
Meanwhile, between 2013 and 2021, the design of the iPhone changed massively.
Compare a 2006 MacBook Pro to a 2011 MacBook Pro, and then compare an iPhone 5S to a 13 Pro Max.

Charlesrfinal

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2021
And what choices and options do we have today? Huge and huger phablets.

I've had the 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5s, 6, 6sPlus, 7, X, Xr, 12PM, 13PM, 14PM, and 15PM now.

With a larger case and more screen area comes the ability to pack more technology into a phone.

There is no way you could pack everything in a 15PM into a 4s case.

If you'd like something that small, purchase a small android flip or something. Maybe an old blueberry, idk.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
13 mini (for the small ‘flagship’ enthusiast) - I’m indifferent about this as the sales numbers aren’t good and makes little sense for Apple to actively manufacture this. This is for the fanboys of the mini flagship models.
Dismissing those of us who prefer small phones as "fanboys" is, quite frankly, insulting.

Reactions: Ac1d 8urn

Darren.h

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2023
I remember waiting n line o buy the first gen iPhone in 2007.

was $600 to $700.

now they are a painful $1700

lordandrei

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2004
Pittsburgh
Well I suppose the iPod lineup was Classic, Touch, Mini and Shuffle. It’s very different from having iPhones 13, 14 and 15 all at the same time. The iPod lineup makes sense - options for different groups of people. The iPhone lineup caters options just because.
Well, not so much just because. One has to assume that Apple has large amounts of stock built up. By slashing the cost they still recoup on what would otherwise be dead product.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Not particularly no. Jobs died 12 years ago and technology and innovation was way off what it is now. It is impossible to know whether or not the iPhone would be vastly different to what we have now. It’s not just the iPhone that drives the industry either and many manufacturers have pushed innovation into the direction it has gone.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Between the first MacBook Pro in January 2006 and October 2011, there were 9 updates.
Only one of those updates, October 2008, was a redesign.
Even the original 2006 MacBook Pro was just the design of the previous PowerBooks, that design introduced in 2003.
So between 2003 and 2011, the MBP design was changed… once.
Meanwhile, between 2013 and 2021, the design of the iPhone changed massively.
Compare a 2006 MacBook Pro to a 2011 MacBook Pro, and then compare an iPhone 5S to a 13 Pro Max.

The current iPhone is still the same phone Jony Ive designed.

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
I remember waiting n line o buy the first gen iPhone in 2007.

was $600 to $700.

now they are a painful $1700

The original iPhone launched at $499 (4GB) and $599 (8GB) in the U.S. which is around $740 and $890 in today’s dollars, with a 2 year AT&T contact. The cheapest AT&T iPhone plan then was $59.99/month which is around $90/month in today's dollars but could go much higher.

You can get new iPhones today for as little as $429 without any carrier commitment, and various carrier "deals" can potentially bring down the price of iPhones hundreds of dollars. For example, a new iPhone 15 Plus can be had for as little as $215.64 ($5.99 x 36) through AT&T. That's far cheaper than the inflation adjusted launch prices of the original iPhone.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
Just pick up your old phone if you miss it.. plug your sim into it and use it? I do not miss my older phones at all.

I guess you cant do that if you are someone who just leases their phone every year.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Nope, I was not a fan of most of the iPhones released in Steve’s era. Those iPhones were good in their own ways but I loved big screened phones, at that time all you had were 3.5inch screen iPhones, I already had Androids with 4.3inch screens and wanted more.

I loved the look of iPhone 4 and 4S but I hated how small their screens were.

I jumped on to iPhone with the Xs Max as we finally got an iPhone with a big AMOLED screen.

Reactions: Chidoro

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I've had the 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5s, 6, 6sPlus, 7, X, Xr, 12PM, 13PM, 14PM, and 15PM now.

With a larger case and more screen area comes the ability to pack more technology into a phone.

There is no way you could pack everything in a 15PM into a 4s case.

If you'd like something that small, purchase a small android flip or something. Maybe an old blueberry, idk.
What's a blueberry? 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Givmeabrek

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Nope, I was not a fan of most of the iPhones released in Steve’s era. Those iPhones were good in their own ways but I loved big screened phones, at that time all you had were 3.5inch screen iPhones, I already had Androids with 4.3inch screens and wanted more.

I loved the look of iPhone 4 and 4S but I hated how small their screens were.

I jumped on to iPhone with the Xs Max as we finally got an iPhone with a big AMOLED screen.
People have short memories. I still remember when Android users were touting their bigger screens. I admit I was tempted. When iPhones made the "jump" to I think 4" screens, that was a big deal. And again when the Plus phones came out.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
People have short memories. I still remember when Android users were touting their bigger screens. I admit I was tempted. When iPhones made the "jump" to I think 4" screens, that was a big deal. And again when the Plus phones came out.
Indeed. I think when the iPhone 5 arrived with a 4inch screen I had a Galaxy S3 with a 4.8inch screen. When the iPhone 6 Plus arrived with a 5.5inch screen I had a Galaxy Note 4 with 5.7inch screen 😂
Still Apple kept stubbornly going with the damn IPS LCD screens so I continued to hold off.
Finally in 2018 the Xs Max arrived with its glorious 6.5inch AMOLED screen, Apple had finally created the iPhone I wanted, iOS was also showing signs of it going where I wanted it to go.

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO
I disagree. The iPhone X had the same effect.
Agree 100%. iPhone X was peak-iPhone in my opinion: it marked the transition from elegant, design-led, one-hand-operable Pro devices to bulky, engineering-led Pro devices. iPhones are still the leading premium phones, but the gap appears to have steadily narrowed starting with the iPhone 11 Pros.

I don’t begrudge the larger iPhones for those who want them, but am disappointed that those of us who bought-into Apple’s three-screens strategy have no option for a premium small phone and are now forced to either trade down to a non-premium mini to get a small device or purchase a bulky phone to get premium features and materials. 😞

Last edited:

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
The lineup was very compact - two to three storage options and comes in two colours. That’s it. Along with the skeumorphic design of iOS, the entire experience, for me, was enjoyable. iOS was limited but it performs at its best at what it’s designed to do. I’ve never clamoured for a software fix when iOS 6 dropped in 2012.

These days we have an ‘iPhone for everyone’ approach. It made Apple a lot of money and in my opinion, this would be Cook’s legacy - making Apple products mainstream. In contrast to Jobs’ approach of making the best products for those who are loyal to Apple and believe in their process.

However, such mass appeal comes with a price. People are hesitant to upgrade to new OSes, Apple releases some new features but also introduces tens of bugs which may take days to months to fix, a bloated product lineup that lacks focus - the blatant removal of previous Pro iPhones to ensure it doesn’t undercut the latest Pro models but they’re happy to keep last year’s or the year before’s base iPhones. The product lineup may generate a lot of revenue but from an Apple sheep, it seems very ‘out of focus’. I’m not saying we should move backwards. But I long for the day where iOS fixes all the bugs for inconsistencies from previous years and perhaps introduce a much condense product lineup that benefits the users such as - not having a 14 Plus and a 15 Plus available side by side in their official stores.
I cannot imagine going back to the Jobs era way of doing business.

Tim really made Apple a juggernaut of electronics.

Reactions: Chidoro and RRC

IsaacM

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Honestly, no?

They were usually massively underpowered in terms of RAM and as soon as the next year's iOS release would drop, they would become slow and laggy.

I think people look back on those times with rose colored glasses. Today's iPhone's are much more reliable and long-lasting.

• Love
Reactions: Tsepz and aj_niner

aj_niner

Suspended
Dec 24, 2023
Honestly, no?

They were usually massively underpowered in terms of RAM and as soon as the next year's iOS release would drop, they would become slow and laggy.

I think people look back on those times with rose colored glasses. Today's iPhone's are much more reliable and long-lasting.
Today's iPhone users want phablets and not iPhone mini, iPhone 5, iPhone 4, etc.

Reactions: IsaacM

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
Right. No one likes to squint down on a little phone screen. I dropped down from a Max sized phone to a Pro sized, and I really don't miss the real estate that much, the tradeoff is that I can hold my phone easier, and it is a little more pocketable. I only got a couple of years with my 4S because of battery issues.. but I used my XS Max for nearly 5 years. I would still be using it now but my work environment had not taken its toll. I treat this one better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.