Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

H8ter2

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2015
I think the Air will get it first simply because it's due for a refresh sooner then the new pro. I see all the idevices having 3D Touch moving forward.

mimeArtist

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2010
The problem with the pencil coming to smaller iPads is that your hand will cover half the screen... it'll be more for notes that the lovely big screen the pro has.

Reactions: fanta88

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
The only thing I regret is not getting two at first ;)

My wife ordered a grey one and I've been using that the last week as my on the road setup. My wife ordered a gold one yesterday and that just arrived. Now we only have to wait for that damn pencil to make it complete.

Reactions: Mystro

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
Yes iPad pro in the size of 9.7" with pencil and much cheeper will be 100% better every student will buy,
here is a way I like to use it : in the class room use the camera to copy the black board so I can lessen to the professor
instead of righting, and the pencil is good for math and other classes, I for sure will buy it

i believe so too , i liked the ipad pro but i moved back to the air 2 w/adonit pen.

ipad pro is nice but not very usable in the field.

daniel1948

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2015
Spokane, WA
... If you got it solely to be a consumption device, however, an iPad Air 2 would probably be better.

Cheaper, but not better. I have an Air and now the Pro, and the difference for watching video is night and day. The difference for reading seems real, but not as extreme.

Question is will 3D Touch on the air get it before the pro? Do apple value the air higher than the pro?

I highly doubt it. The high-end device will always get the newest fanciest tech first.

No-Me

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
Rotterdam
I highly doubt it. The high-end device will always get the newest fanciest tech first.
The original iPad mini retina and original iPad Air almost had the same specs. then they skipped the iPad mini last year, the iPad Air this year, I hope that starting next year the specs and features are going to be almost the same again. It would be quite awesome if the Air and the mini would also work with the Apple Pencil.

JonnyIreland

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I don't regret buying the Pro, my only regret is selling my immaculate iPad Air 2 for "only" $470 before finding out the price structure of the Pro model & accessories here in Canada.

highdefjunkie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2010
Chicago
I don't regret buying the Pro, my only regret is selling my immaculate iPad Air 2 for "only" $470 before finding out the price structure of the Pro model & accessories here in Canada.

What iPad Air 2 did you have? I just sold my iPad Air 128gig wifi LTE for 600.00 on eBay yesterday.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
Hi, anyone else noticing that the font/scaling of the font on the pro looks weird. It's a dark grayish color. Not even black and looks fuzzy. Anyone else seeing this? I'm seeing this in the apps (that has not yet been upgraded for the pro and some websites).

H8ter2

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2015
Hi, anyone else noticing that the font/scaling of the font on the pro looks weird. It's a dark grayish color. Not even black and looks fuzzy. Anyone else seeing this? I'm seeing this in the apps (that has not yet been upgraded for the pro and some websites).
I guess I notice it some now that you mention it, but most likely due to the up scaling to the larger screen and not optimized/formatted for the much larger screen size, not a big issue IMO since really didn't notice until read your post

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
I guess I notice it some now that you mention it, but most likely due to the up scaling to the larger screen and not optimized/formatted for the much larger screen size, not a big issue IMO since really didn't notice until read your post
I remember when the iphone 6 plus first came out, it was similar to this. The text looked horrible. LOL Now, everything is much better! I guess we will wait it out! :D Hopefully by then the Pro 2 won't be out, yet. LOL

Reactions: H8ter2

H8ter2

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2015
I remember when the iphone 6 plus first came out, it was similar to this. The text looked horrible. LOL Now, everything is much better! I guess we will wait it out! :D Hopefully by then the Pro 2 won't be out, yet. LOL
Yea very true, I'm honestly pretty surprised how well the apps look up scaled to the much bigger screen, they don't look stretched or distorted, not that I can really notice. Magazines look amazing on the much bigger screen

Reactions: MacGurl111

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
Yea very true, I'm honestly pretty surprised how well the apps look up scaled to the much bigger screen, they don't look stretched or distorted, not that I can really notice. Magazines look amazing on the much bigger screen
I have not tried the magazine. Any suggestions and where to go?

H8ter2

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2015
I have not tried the magazine. Any suggestions and where to go?

I use the app called texture, for a monthly fee of around $14 you get access to close to 50 or so magazines, once you pick your favorites the new issues each month will update within the app automatically. Great app IMO if your a big magazine reader like I am, they have a pretty diverse selection

Sharkey311

Suspended
Jan 11, 2013
Not in the slightest. I was concerned how I'd be able to wield it and use it like how I used my iPad Air 2 but I'm telling you, it has been fantastic.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
The iPad Pro has been great. I was very skeptical about the screen size at first but it's actually rather nice. Not as portable but I don't carry my iPad every day. (Well used to)

The Pencil is incredible.

The keyboard ... is extremely under whelming. It's heavy with hard keys that are hard to press. It's also loud and very annoying sounding. Also why doesn't the soft keyboard auto hide or not even show up when the keyboard is present ?

With the keyboard it also introduces the old problem of why touch screen laptops don't work. They are very uncomfortable to use with the keyboard in the way.

I am going to give it another week but strongly considering returning the keyboard.

Sharkey311

Suspended
Jan 11, 2013
I think I will just either use the software keyboard or bring a Bluetooth keyboard when I really need it.

daniel1948

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2015
Spokane, WA
i love mine, and you heard it here first: within 2 years you will see a 15" iPad pro.

Now that, I think, will be too big and too heavy for me. I think my iPad Pro is the perfect size for home use. I have yet to decide if it's too big/heavy for travel, since it would be in my backpack, which is my carry-on, along with all the other stuff I cannot risk losing when my luggage goes Taipei and I'm in Phoenix, or getting damaged when the luggage handlers decide to have a discus competition with people's bags.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
just got my Keyboard. Things are sure getting heavier. Cannot regret it as have till the new year to make up my mind with Apples extended holiday returns

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Honestly, the only thing I'm hesitant about now is what I'm going to do with my Air 2 now that I haven't picked it up since getting my iPP. I thought I would still use it as an ereader but honestly if I'm sitting down the iPP is fine for reading in landscape mode, and otherwise my 6S+ is big enough to read comfortably on.

First-world problems to the extreme. ;)
My problem is, It's great but not to carry around, and if i stuck to a desk then my MBP 15" does a better job. The iPad air 2 is a good size for mobility I wish iPad air 3 will be iPad pro 9,7"

Reactions: Billy95Tech

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
The problem with the pencil coming to smaller iPads is that your hand will cover half the screen... it'll be more for notes that the lovely big screen the pro has.

Yeah, it's workable but using a stylus on a 10" screen is definitely restrictive. A little better on iPad compared to the old Surfaces, only because the app interfaces and OS UI tend to stay out of the way giving you a better canvas, but it's still tight.

I'm having some buyers regret, mostly for having bought the Space Grey LTE model though. I'm thinking I like the gold and white a little better and the grey is just kind of boring me.

Reactions: fanta88

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
My problem is, It's great but not to carry around, and if i stuck to a desk then my MBP 15" does a better job. The iPad air 2 is a good size for mobility I wish iPad air 3 will be iPad pro 9,7"
It's been fine to carry around for me; everyone who has seen mine has commented on how surprisingly thin and light it is (maybe Jony is on to something after all). Of course, in the end this is a personal preference thing so I'm not saying that it's right for you, I'm just offering an alternative perspective. I wouldn't want it any smaller; it's the perfect size for me, honestly.

I'm having some buyers regret, mostly for having bought the Space Grey LTE model though. I'm thinking I like the gold and white a little better and the grey is just kind of boring me.
Oh man, I can't stand white bezels on a device. I wouldn't mind having more color options for the back, but keep my bezels black please!

Reactions: Capt T

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Oh man, I can't stand white bezels on a device. I wouldn't mind having more color options for the back, but keep my bezels black please!

Black and gold would look pretty bad IMO :)

Yeah, I typically haven't been a fan of white bezels, especially on iPad Air, but on the Pro I think it looks nice. I should probably just learn to be happy with what I have though - I'm going to get a silicone case and smart cover anyway I suppose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.