Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
It's been fine to carry around for me; everyone who has seen mine has commented on how surprisingly thin and light it is (maybe Jony is on to something after all). Of course, in the end this is a personal preference thing so I'm not saying that it's right for you, I'm just offering an alternative perspective. I wouldn't want it any smaller; it's the perfect size for me, honestly.

Oh man, I can't stand white bezels on a device. I wouldn't mind having more color options for the back, but keep my bezels black please!
Bulk front gold on the back

fanta88

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
Yeah, it's workable but using a stylus on a 10" screen is definitely restrictive. A little better on iPad compared to the old Surfaces, only because the app interfaces and OS UI tend to stay out of the way giving you a better canvas, but it's still tight.

Agreed. I pretended to use the pencil on an Air 2, just to get an idea of what that would be like physically. It was sort of doable for note taking, but I found the size didn't really work for sketching because of my instinctive hand placement when using it.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
Agreed. I pretended to use the pencil on an Air 2, just to get an idea of what that would be like physically. It was sort of doable for note taking

...and that's a really useful function for lots of people.
I'd use that all the time!

Really hope Air 3 and Mini 5 get Pencil support

Reactions: FallenLegend

daniel1948

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2015
Spokane, WA
Agreed. I pretended to use the pencil on an Air 2, just to get an idea of what that would be like physically. It was sort of doable for note taking, but I found the size didn't really work for sketching because of my instinctive hand placement when using it.

This is just purely me, but I cannot wrap my head around the idea of using a pencil to take notes when there's a keyboard right on the screen. But that's me. My handwriting is illegible even to myself, and I cannot draw. When I was in college, the professor wrote on the blackboard and we students all copied down what he wrote. Nowadays I can imagine just taking a picture of the blackboard. Or one student taking a picture and putting it on the internet. Or the professor putting it on the internet and the students just bring up the image on their tablets or computers during the lecture. I have no idea how it works today. Even hand-held calculators didn't exist when I was in school. I used a slide rule, an abacus, and a book of mathematical tables. (Trig tables, log tables, etc.) I'd have paid half my savings for a chess-playing machine. Now you can get Shredder Chess for iOS for $4. OTOH world population is double what it was then, with all the attendant problems.

Sorry for the digression. Today I'd be taking notes with the on-screen keyboard.

Reactions: OTACORB

rdavis41

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2009
This is just purely me, but I cannot wrap my head around the idea of using a pencil to take notes when there's a keyboard right on the screen. But that's me. My handwriting is illegible even to myself, and I cannot draw. When I was in college, the professor wrote on the blackboard and we students all copied down what he wrote. Nowadays I can imagine just taking a picture of the blackboard. Or one student taking a picture and putting it on the internet. Or the professor putting it on the internet and the students just bring up the image on their tablets or computers during the lecture. I have no idea how it works today. Even hand-held calculators didn't exist when I was in school. I used a slide rule, an abacus, and a book of mathematical tables. (Trig tables, log tables, etc.) I'd have paid half my savings for a chess-playing machine. Now you can get Shredder Chess for iOS for $4. OTOH world population is double what it was then, with all the attendant problems.

Sorry for the digression. Today I'd be taking notes with the on-screen keyboard.

I agree mostly with what you said. However, as a part time college instructor I must say the Apple Pencil is a godsend. I can now edit my students papers electronically the same way mine were edited by hand back when I went to school. I guess it's more of a battle of deciding what is functional for you.

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
I have no regrets whatsoever now that I finally have a Pencil to use with it. I bought the IPP to take handwritten notes and to annotate PDF journal articles--and the Pencil makes it perfect for these tasks. This is what the iPad should have been from the get-go.

And for play, I've taken to grabbing screen shots of coloring book pages, importing them into Procreate and coloring them in. Fun...

Reactions: dazzlingirl

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I agree mostly with what you said. However, as a part time college instructor I must say the Apple Pencil is a godsend. I can now edit my students papers electronically the same way mine were edited by hand back when I went to school. I guess it's more of a battle of deciding what is functional for you.
Sometimes the computer generated notes from the professor aren't enough. You need additional notes and context added in and being able to write works well for that use case.

daniel1948

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2015
Spokane, WA
I can see that annotating a document or grading papers would be a good fit for the pencil. I guess I'm showing my age, but the idea of students turning in their papers electronically rather than on paper never occurred to me.

When I was in school, the teacher wrote on the blackboard and lectured. We took notes with a pencil on paper. Computers were the size of buildings and typewriters were too noisy to use in class. Students wrote their papers on paper, which might be why they were called papers. (?) The well-off students had typewriters to write their papers. I did not. I used a pen.

Reactions: LucyLouie

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
The IPP has given me incentive to learn better how to draw. Now I know there obviously are cheaper alternatives to do so BUT the point is I didn't have the incentive beforehand regardless.

KUKitch

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2008
England
No. And I love all the comments I've seen about how heavy it is, considering it weighs what the original did. I can accept that it's a bit unwieldy given the size, but it is not heavy. It does make both the mini and the air 2 feel like toys, it's just insane... but I've gotten right used to it and love it.

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
There was enough room in there to put 512GB or even 1TB of storage. Come on Apple!

I don't think it was a space issue, more of a cost versus market requirement. I always go the largest capacity iOS device as even 128GB I think is small to carry plenty of media, but I'm the only one out of all my work colleagues and friends.

Nausicaa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
I was a bit on the fence at first but I've grown to love it. Can't imagine using a smaller iPad anymore and I'm already using the Pro much more often and for many more tasks than I did my Air. I especially like the Pencil and the new opportunities it provides. I'm planning a new home office and used it to diagram and brainstorm various plans and it was a lot of fun! I think I might have some screen uniformity issues and battery life problems, so I'm still debating a return, but I'm unsure of the latter and the former is so subtle I can't tell if it's my imagination or not. Hopefully all is well the next few weeks and I can just keep it.

I've gotten over my issues with space grey as well, and glad I kept it instead of getting the gold.

Reactions: judethat

iPhone1

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2010
I returned mine yesterday. I'm now on an iPad mini 4. I can actually type on this thing :)

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
Initially, I bought a 15" rMBP to replace my SP3 (and do audio recording). But - I repurposed a mac mini for that, and returned the 15" and bought both the base iPP and 12" rMB.

I really like this combo, - no regrets at all!

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I regretted purchasing it. But I returned it, and now I'll wait and see what advances, if any, Apple makes to the software stack and developer ecosystem to see if it become a vibrant product which meets my needs. Until then, I'm enjoying the awesome iPad Air 2

shahin90

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012

I just graduated in masters of elect. engineering and I WISH the IPP existed when I was in school. There are so many cases where taking notes in class is an absolute must and typing is not an option since there are a lot of equations and diagrams and bla bla. It would make my life so much easier as I could also record the instructor's voice and follow the notes in Notability.

Aydy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2015
Mini size ipad or Standard size ipad or Big sized ipad...The choice is ours! All are so similar in use yet miles apart in the hand.

Tried them all and stuck with the standard 9.7" A2.

Mini just didnt cut it for me.

Pro, served with gravy (stylus support) but was ultimately awkward in use 'for me' and kept clipping the side of my coffee table when i put it down.
Honestly, it took more effort to handle and even placing it down required strategy lol Although this may be me just being used to the A2

Last edited:
Reactions: turbineseaplane

daniel1948

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2015
Spokane, WA
It's been a bit over three weeks now, and the iPP has settled into being my main tablet. Occasionally I pick up the Air for something where the larger screen is unnecessary, but mostly I use the Pro. Definitely keeping it, unless it develops a defect.

I could see getting the pencil if an application came out for me. I can imagine a Teach-yourself-to-draw app. I'd like to learn to draw, but not badly enough to go the traditional route. (I once took a drawing class in school. I was a flop.) An e-coloring-book might be fun, though I probably wouldn't buy the pencil just for that. I have no use for the keyboard. I did get a nice sleeve for it, for scratch protection. I'll be taking it on my upcoming trip, and judge then whether the weight is too much. I need to minimize the weight of my backpack carry-on because of my bad back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.