Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jason B

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Everyone here can make laugh if you want, but I'm still on 12.4 on my Iphone XS. It runs awesome and I've been afraid to update it. (WHen I ask people at apple or At&T I will hear complete opposite answers like "Don't update it now, it's going to run super super slow on the new software!", or I hear "Yes, update it, it will run quicker!"

I never liked updating because there is always a new issue. I'm a power user and am on this phone 8 hours a day for work stuff. The issue now is, some apps won't run anymore. I hate how apple basically forces you to upgrade. I wanted some opinions from the power users here. Maybe I should make a new post, but wanted to post here first.

Reactions: Fozamo

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Running iOS 12.3.1 on my iPhone Xʀ. iOS updates are malware, just keep it there.

By the way, I’m a little surprised about the fact that you kept it on a beta, how has it been running there? Also, you’re the third user I’ve heard of that runs iOS 12 on an A12 Bionic iPhone. You, myself, and one more user. (Recently, of course).

douglasjunruh

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2016
Sacramento CA
Everyone here can make laugh if you want, but I'm still on 12.4 on my Iphone XS. It runs awesome and I've been afraid to update it. (WHen I ask people at apple or At&T I will hear complete opposite answers like "Don't update it now, it's going to run super super slow on the new software!", or I hear "Yes, update it, it will run quicker!"

I never liked updating because there is always a new issue. I'm a power user and am on this phone 8 hours a day for work stuff. The issue now is, some apps won't run anymore. I hate how apple basically forces you to upgrade. I wanted some opinions from the power users here. Maybe I should make a new post, but wanted to post here first.
I just updated from an iPhone XS to an iPhone 15 Pro. I was running the latest developer betas until I upgraded and had no problems.

Reactions: GuruZac

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Exactly. iOS 12 ruined that iPhone. Miserable experience.
Luckily iOS 12 on the A12 Bionic is extremely smooth, and by far, the best combo I’ve ever used. It’s absolutely not like the iPhone 6 Plus on iOS 12.

OP is definitely better off just staying there, an iPhone Xʀ, Xs, or Xs Max on iOS 12 is one of the best iOS experiences ever.

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011

Have it on a 64GB Xs - it’s my grandmother’s iPhone now, and it’s as smooth and as stable as when I owned it (had it from launch). Battery life seems fine too, but it’s on a replacement Apple battery from 2021.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I have a XS on 17.1.1. It won't turn into a completely unusable mess like older iPhones used to. You'll get tons of new features as well.

"Super slow" is just not an accurate description. Just take a look at this video:

If you're super attentive animations may drop a few frames on occasion and battery may be a little less, but nothing dramatic. Honestly I'm starting to think iOS 17 actually performs better on it than iOS 16 did in that regard.

Reactions: Reggaenald

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I have a XS on 17.1.1. It won't turn into a completely unusable mess like older iPhones used to. You'll get tons of new features as well.

"Super slow" is just not an accurate description. Just take a look at this video:

If you're super attentive animations may drop a few frames on occasion and battery may be a little less, but nothing dramatic. Honestly I'm starting to think iOS 17 actually performs better on it than iOS 16 did in that regard.
I’m very curious about battery life. iPhone Xʀ users have told me that iOS 17 leaves a lot to be desired, and it’s nowhere near what I get on iOS 12. Do you mind sharing a screenshot of settings-battery? Maybe specify brightness, the overall usage pattern, settings (everything on or off? Mainly the heavy ones like push mail and background app refresh), and whether it was Wi-Fi or LTE? Just to get an accurate description.

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020
The good thing about iOS 17 is it's going to bring RCS.

The bad thing about RCS is it's going to give everyone a big reason to give Apple a lot of cash.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I’m very curious about battery life. iPhone Xʀ users have told me that iOS 17 leaves a lot to be desired, and it’s nowhere near what I get on iOS 12. Do you mind sharing a screenshot of settings-battery? Maybe specify brightness, the overall usage pattern, settings (everything on or off? Mainly the heavy ones like push mail and background app refresh), and whether it was Wi-Fi or LTE? Just to get an accurate description.
My battery stats aren't very useful since my phone is only at 84% health after a battery replacement and I usually go through the day without draining it. Safari is what uses it the most apparently. The battery was poor during iOS 17 beta period compared to 16 and the phone would get very hot, but the current version seems to be doing better.

Attachments

• IMG_3516.jpeg
    IMG_3516.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 69

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
My battery stats aren't very useful since my phone is only at 84% health after a battery replacement and I usually go through the day without draining it. Safari is what uses it the most apparently. The battery was poor during iOS 17 beta period compared to 16 and the phone would get very hot, but the current version seems to be doing better.
Difficult to tell as it seems like some of those days you are using the device whilst it’s charging, so I can’t know how much of that usage is while unplugged (this is a gigantic drawback from the change in battery stats Apple implemented on iOS 12. I have to ask this all the time because they’ve made it impossible to tell). Do you have a “last 24 hours” screenshot with meaningful data? Perhaps that’s a bit clearer.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020

I’d say update. You haven’t gotten any security updates in nearly 5 years, and there have been some serious security updates over that time. (Plus, since you’re a self described power user, there are quite a few features that you’ll probably find useful.)

I was using iOS on a XR before I upgraded this year and kept current, I never had any real issues with it. I think you’re being overly paranoid without a good reason for it.

Reactions: sunsetrunner

VampyricGentleman

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2022
South Wales, UK
My work supplied phone is an XS running iOS 17 and it works really well all things being considered, especially as my company puts a lot of bloat that is company specific on to their devices that many of us don’t use.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Difficult to tell as it seems like some of those days you are using the device whilst it’s charging, so I can’t know how much of that usage is while unplugged (this is a gigantic drawback from the change in battery stats Apple implemented on iOS 12. I have to ask this all the time because they’ve made it impossible to tell). Do you have a “last 24 hours” screenshot with meaningful data? Perhaps that’s a bit clearer.
Unfortunately I don't, I actually left in on the charger today.

I miss the clearer battery stats iOS used to have too.

bladerunner88

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2009
Off World

Hey Jason B, am just about to upgrade to a 15 but my XS has been on the IOS 17.2 Beta for a couple of weeks now and its Rock Solid!! No Lag No slowdowns once in a blue moon something docent quite work as expected but hey its a Beta! But other than that no Complaints!
IMG_3536.PNG

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I had a coworker with a XS on iOS 14 I had been pestering about updating, but he kept saying it would slow down his phone, blah blah blah. He finally had to relent a few months ago and update to iOS 16 due to some apps he could no longer update/use. He admitted it wasn't any slower on iOS 16.

Last edited:

darkelipse04

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2004
Philadelphia

It's your choice to run an outdated five year old mobile OS that is no longer secure and has support dropped for it. It's Apple prerogative to continue to update iOS with various features, security fixes and yes occasional bugs. They aren't forcing you to upgrade your phone but they are strongly pushing folks to update their phones. Deal with the issues you're forcing on yourself by being afraid to update? 🙄

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.