Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
There is nothing much that can be done to circumvent issues caused by an older iOS version. Ultimately these handheld computers are here to serve us and when they can’t serve us suitably, they get replaced.
Yeah, I meant circumventing it with other devices. Unfortunately, it’s the only option.
iPads, by their very nature, are secondary devices which generally do not absolutely require the entire suite of apps available on the AppStore. Anything mandatory, such as banking apps, can be installed on your iPhone which should be mostly up-to-date. I have an iPad Mini 4 which is on iOS 15.8. It is slow but not quite unbearable however it runs all video streaming apps perfectly. My iPad Mini 4 is more of a YouTube device for me and it does a commendable job in that regard.
Agreed on the secondary devices, but I still think this isn’t right. Why should your Mini 4 be slow? All streaming apps barring Disney run perfectly on iOS 10, and battery life would be a lot better, too. For a YouTube device, the original iOS version is option, as you’ll never run into compatibility issues, it won’t be slow, and battery life will be a lot better.
I am a heavy user and, as you know, I did use the OGSE as my daily driver in 2022 and it just about did the job providing me with enough battery life to last the day. I have no idea why the OGSE provides more SoT than the 6S as the presumption is that the battery is smaller with less capacity.
The screen, I reckon. The screen is smaller and uses far less power. Battery life of the 1st-gen SE on iOS 9 was better than the 6s on iOS 9, too!
The SoT of the 6S will likely degrade quickly but I do plan on replacing the battery again (if Apple still do OEM replacements) in 2 years. My 6S received its battery replacement 1 month ago and is still at 100% battery health. I agree that it has probably lost around 40% SoT in comparison to when it was running iOS 9 in 2016. Like I said though, it doesn’t really affect me greatly because it’s a secondary device with no SIM card and runs purely off of Wi-Fi. I charge it once every 2 days as I don’t use it all the time. Prior to the battery replacement, I was getting around 1 hour SoT at 82% battery health.
I understand it doesn’t affect you (my 6s’ compatibility issues don’t affect me either because I don’t use it much), but do you think that’s okay? 1 hour SOT? My 9.7-inch iPad Pro is at 83% health on iOS 12 and it still gets 10-11 hours. To continue with the iPad analogy, the 10.5-inch iPad Pro also gets one hour on iPadOS 17 with similar health. Is that really something that you can say “well, it’s old, it’s okay”? Why should it be like that?

There’s no way back, which is why, like I said, OP should think whether they can circumvent the compatibility issues, maybe by using something else, before irreversibly going forward, because you can’t regret it afterwards.

ipaqrat

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2017
I still run an iPhoneX. Incremental upgrades to 16.7.2 have not caused me any issues with reliability, though the battery management tool has been sketchy at times. I don't depend on any apps that were forcibly deprecated by the OS. I might jump to a 16 Pro, unless something catastrophic happens before September 2024. Maybe I'll wait for the 17 Pro. I heard there's astroids, and it would be a soul-crushing failure to the entire species to die with only an iPhone 15 Pro clutched in my little smoldering paws, like "Siri, did they let horses on the spaceship?"

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
A pointless argument. How about when the device loses support? Then what? Just throw it away? And you update for theoretical, temporary security, fine, but you obliterate the device in the meantime. You are exchanging theoretical and temporary security for permanent device obliteration. Not a good trade-off.
It’s not pointless. Your xr is still supported. And even my 5s got a recent update to iOS 12. My Xs max proves that the a12 is capable of running iOS 17 with little battery degradation.

And it’s not theoretical security, it’s real security. No I agree permanent device “obliteration” was a thing with 32 bit cpus. But with the a12 it’s not really a thing.

Reactions: Ericdjensen

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
[…]

There’s no way back, which is why, like I said, OP should think whether they can circumvent the compatibility issues, maybe by using something else, before irreversibly going forward, because you can’t regret it afterwards.
I never regret updating. Remediation for battery life pales in comparison to remediation for having your digital assets hacked. With todays battery options there is no excuse for battery range anxiety.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
It’s not pointless. Your xr is still supported. And even my 5s got a recent update to iOS 12. My Xs max proves that the a12 is capable of running iOS 17 with little battery degradation.
Yeah, I’d like to see that. I mean, iPhone Xs reports aren’t horrible, maybe 5-6 hours. About 3 hours below iOS 12. Not unusable, of course. Way better than it used to be.
And it’s not theoretical security, it’s real security. No I agree permanent device “obliteration” was a thing with 32 bit cpus. But with the a12 it’s not really a thing.
It’s way better than it used to be, sure. It could be better.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I never regret updating. Remediation for battery life pales in comparison to remediation for having your digital assets hacked. With todays battery options there is no excuse for battery range anxiety.
It’s a choice. I don’t disagree with a choice. I think it’s a bad one, but I know that ultimately it comes down to what you prefer and there’s no right or wrong answer.

The only thing I disagree with is when people recommend updating saying “it will be fine”. Because it is objectively worse. Worse by how much? It depends on user tolerance, usage patterns, and, if updated, battery health. But I think that to recommend updating is fine only if you make it a bit more nuanced: “I would update for compatibility and security reasons, but do expect perhaps a 33% battery life loss and some slight performance issues like occasional frame drops and keyboard lag”, which is very different from “just update already, it’s completely perfect”.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yeah, I’d like to see that. I mean, iPhone Xs reports aren’t horrible, maybe 5-6 hours. About 3 hours below iOS 12. Not unusable, of course. Way better than it used to be.
There is no objective proof because there are few controlled tests. All opinions are strictly anecdotal. I did post one test at some point and results were inconclusive.
It’s way better than it used to be, sure. It could be better.
I say it’s inconsequential. Battery life goes down because of more concurrency, using a particular feature more, etc. You may say I don’t need better features, more concurrency, up to date security and that’s fine. But it is not an apple to apples’ comparison.(so to speak)
It’s a choice. I don’t disagree with a choice. I think it’s a bad one, but I know that ultimately it comes down to what you prefer and there’s no right or wrong answer.
There is a wrong answer and if you are on the internet and your version of software has vulnerabilities that put your digital assets at risk, that software has to be patched.
The only thing I disagree with is when people recommend updating saying “it will be fine”. Because it is objectively worse.
No, it can’t be measured objectively only subjectively and anecdotally. And the one YouTube video I posted way back that showed an max being upgraded was inconclusive but at least it wasn’t seat of the pants an wet finger in the air.

Not to mention you can’t tell me that when I upgraded from ios 17 from ios 16 my battery performance decreased and I’m now seeing frame drops.
Worse by how much? It depends on user tolerance, usage patterns, and, if updated, battery health.
I agree, it could be 0% to a googleplex.
But I think that to recommend updating is fine only if you make it a bit more nuanced: “I would update for compatibility and security reasons, but do expect perhaps a 33% battery life loss and some slight performance issues like occasional frame drops and keyboard lag”, which is very different from “just update already, it’s completely perfect”.
The nuance is when any type of software or firmware is upgraded or updated the future of performance is unknown. Saying something is perfect is way different than saying there has been no measurable change.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Yeah, I meant circumventing it with other devices. Unfortunately, it’s the only option.

Agreed on the secondary devices, but I still think this isn’t right. Why should your Mini 4 be slow? All streaming apps barring Disney run perfectly on iOS 10, and battery life would be a lot better, too. For a YouTube device, the original iOS version is option, as you’ll never run into compatibility issues, it won’t be slow, and battery life will be a lot better.

The screen, I reckon. The screen is smaller and uses far less power. Battery life of the 1st-gen SE on iOS 9 was better than the 6s on iOS 9, too!

I understand it doesn’t affect you (my 6s’ compatibility issues don’t affect me either because I don’t use it much), but do you think that’s okay? 1 hour SOT? My 9.7-inch iPad Pro is at 83% health on iOS 12 and it still gets 10-11 hours. To continue with the iPad analogy, the 10.5-inch iPad Pro also gets one hour on iPadOS 17 with similar health. Is that really something that you can say “well, it’s old, it’s okay”? Why should it be like that?

So I don’t really use Safari much on my iPad Mini 4 because it is pretty terrible albeit, with patience, everything works fine. The YouTube app is fine and doesn’t run slowly despite the ageing A8 chipset and Netflix seems okay too. Disney+ is choppy however it won’t work on older versions of iOS.

I don’t have any regrets updating this device because I purchased it back in September 2015 when it was first released and it is still useful to me in December 2023. I have had more than my fair share of use out of it, lol. If it survives the next 3-4 years as a streaming media machine I will be delighted!

The OGSE must have been an absolute monster back in 2016. I missed it by a few weeks as my partner at the time purchased an iPhone 6S in early March for my birthday and the OGSE was released in late March. I’d have gotten the OGSE if I had the choice! I am not too bummed about it though, I have both anyway and the 6S had been an excellent phone to use at the time. I didn’t use it at all between March 2018 to October 2023 so I was able to bring down the battery health from 100% to 82% over the span of 2 years.

I know that batteries degrade though so it’s a little bit confusing as to how you’re posting those incredible results with severely degraded batteries. I have old laptops, for instance, that are running ancient versions of XP & Windows 7 and are on their original batteries. I can’t even get more than 10-20 minutes of use out of them before they go into standby mode due to the cells being so depleted. That’s why obtaining 1 hour of battery life after dropping to 82% battery health was entirely expected to me due to previous experience with other devices.

If the OP does decide to upgrade to iOS 17, a fresh OEM battery is pretty much mandatory otherwise the phone will likely become unusable.

Last edited:

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Everyone here can make laugh if you want, but I'm still on 12.4 on my Iphone XS. It runs awesome and I've been afraid to update it. (WHen I ask people at apple or At&T I will hear complete opposite answers like "Don't update it now, it's going to run super super slow on the new software!", or I hear "Yes, update it, it will run quicker!"

I never liked updating because there is always a new issue. I'm a power user and am on this phone 8 hours a day for work stuff. The issue now is, some apps won't run anymore. I hate how apple basically forces you to upgrade. I wanted some opinions from the power users here. Maybe I should make a new post, but wanted to post here first.
Apple isn’t making that choice - developers are by choosing to not support that old OS . I’m running a XS on 17.1.2 and it runs totally fine (much better than 16 did) with over a gig of RAM free. The new features are also awesome compared with iOS 12.

Attachments

• IMG_4441.png
    IMG_4441.png
    282.2 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: Ericdjensen

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Luckily iOS 12 on the A12 Bionic is extremely smooth, and by far, the best combo I’ve ever used. It’s absolutely not like the iPhone 6 Plus on iOS 12.

OP is definitely better off just staying there, an iPhone Xʀ, Xs, or Xs Max on iOS 12 is one of the best iOS experiences ever.
Love me that iOS experience of being able to run absolutely no apps.

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
I think this depends exclusively on usage patterns. I use iPads for content consumption. My 9.7-inch iPad Pro is on iOS 12. There is absolutely nothing I can’t do because it’s outdated. Updating, for me, would only expose it to the drawbacks and none of the benefits. I do the same things on this iPad and on my iPad Air 5, which is the latest model. Yes, maybe 1 in 200 websites don’t run. Whatever, I’ll use something else, it’s not critical enough for me to irreversibly halve my battery life (4-5 hours as reported by users instead of 10-11), and severely affect performance (as reported by those who updated 1st-gen iPad Pros to iPadOS 16).

So the question is: can you circumvent compatibility issues by using something else if they are critical? If they aren’t, do you really care so as to severely and irreversibly impact the device? If the answer to the first question is no, I guess you have to go for it, but oftentimes it isn’t.

Funnily enough, I’m on OP’s situation with my iPhone Xʀ on iOS 12. There’s nothing for which I’d need iOS 17 other than the occasional website which either doesn’t load or displays a message about browser incompatibility. What do I have to gain by updating? Halving my battery life, getting some frame-rate drops and keyboard lag? iOS 17 won’t change how I use my iPhone, and I don’t care if I can’t access one website every once in a while. It’s not worth it.

Other people may install new apps all the time, so using iOS 12 on an A12 Bionic iPhone today would be untenable. But it always depends, and I do think that people in general way overestimate the impact of slightly outdated iOS versions.
Updating will not half your battery life

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
So I don’t really use Safari much on my iPad Mini 4 because it is pretty terrible albeit, with patience, everything works fine. The YouTube app is fine and doesn’t run slowly despite the ageing A8 chipset and Netflix seems okay too. Disney+ is choppy however it won’t work on older versions of iOS.
Yeah, this has been my experience with the updated devices I’ve tried, too! It’s something I’ve never touched on, but it’s a great point. Yes, sure, it is “compatible”, but it runs very poorly at that. If Safari is compatible with those websites (maybe those with which my 9.7-inch iPad Pro on iOS 12 isn’t), but it runs so horribly that the experience is ruined in spite of that... how compatible is it, really?

I don’t have any regrets updating this device because I purchased it back in September 2015 when it was first released and it is still useful to me in December 2023. I have had more than my fair share of use out of it, lol. If it survives the next 3-4 years as a streaming media machine I will be delighted!
Yeah, like I said, it’s a trade. My 6s on iOS 10 isn’t that useful, but at least I could use it as a media device (music and Netflix), and it runs flawlessly. There’s a lot it can’t do, but I don’t use it much anyway (and I wouldn’t even if it were on iOS 17 - and I’m hypothetically assuming full compatibility here), so it doesn’t matter much to me anyway.

You like the compatibility and it’s fine.
The OGSE must have been an absolute monster back in 2016. I missed it by a few weeks as my partner at the time purchased an iPhone 6S in early March for my birthday and the OGSE was released in late March. I’d have gotten the OGSE if I had the choice! I am not too bummed about it though, I have both anyway and the 6S had been an excellent phone to use at the time. I didn’t use it at all between March 2018 to October 2023 so I was able to bring down the battery health from 100% to 82% over the span of 2 years.
I haven’t used one extensively (especially on iOS 9 or 10), but from the results I’ve seen online, it was a massive powerhouse. Extremely fast, with the battery life that almost matched the 6s Plus on iOS 9, portable, it was honestly complete perfection (and it would most likely be my favourite iPhone ever if I could get one on iOS 9 or 10 fully working).
I know that batteries degrade though so it’s a little bit confusing as to how you’re posting those incredible results with severely degraded batteries. I have old laptops, for instance, that are running ancient versions of XP & Windows 7 and are on their original batteries. I can’t even get more than 10-20 minutes of use out of them before they go into standby mode due to the cells being so depleted. That’s why obtaining 1 hour of battery life after dropping to 82% battery health was entirely expected to me due to previous experience with other devices.
Yeah, the numbers I get go against the science of battery degradation, but I’ve repeatedly shown that it’s possible with efficient software, at least on iOS devices.

The funny part is that I’ve tried to recreate this usage pattern on updated devices, and the results I’ve gotten have been predictably garbage, so even with an efficient configuration and usage pattern I cannot offset the impact of iOS updates.
If the OP does decide to upgrade to iOS 17, a fresh OEM battery is pretty much mandatory otherwise the phone will likely become unusable.
Yes, but this is awful. An updated device requires near-constant battery replacements to maintain a half-usable (and way below what I’d get with an original iOS version with a “destroyed” battery health), and it is untenable. People get tired of replacing batteries. I’ve read some comments that some current 6s users have replaced the battery 7 times. Seven times! What?! Insane. This isn’t right. And it isn’t worth it, but that’s subjective.

A heavy user on an updated device will make battery health plummet in no time. It just can’t cope, the device asks too much from the battery.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Yeah, this has been my experience with the updated devices I’ve tried, too! It’s something I’ve never touched on, but it’s a great point. Yes, sure, it is “compatible”, but it runs very poorly at that. If Safari is compatible with those websites (maybe those with which my 9.7-inch iPad Pro on iOS 12 isn’t), but it runs so horribly that the experience is ruined in spite of that... how compatible is it, really?

Yeah, like I said, it’s a trade. My 6s on iOS 10 isn’t that useful, but at least I could use it as a media device (music and Netflix), and it runs flawlessly. There’s a lot it can’t do, but I don’t use it much anyway (and I wouldn’t even if it were on iOS 17 - and I’m hypothetically assuming full compatibility here), so it doesn’t matter much to me anyway.

You like the compatibility and it’s fine.

I haven’t used one extensively (especially on iOS 9 or 10), but from the results I’ve seen online, it was a massive powerhouse. Extremely fast, with the battery life that almost matched the 6s Plus on iOS 9, portable, it was honestly complete perfection (and it would most likely be my favourite iPhone ever if I could get one on iOS 9 or 10 fully working).

Yeah, the numbers I get go against the science of battery degradation, but I’ve repeatedly shown that it’s possible with efficient software, at least on iOS devices.

The funny part is that I’ve tried to recreate this usage pattern on updated devices, and the results I’ve gotten have been predictably garbage, so even with an efficient configuration and usage pattern I cannot offset the impact of iOS updates.

Yes, but this is awful. An updated device requires near-constant battery replacements to maintain a half-usable (and way below what I’d get with an original iOS version with a “destroyed” battery health), and it is untenable. People get tired of replacing batteries. I’ve read some comments that some current 6s users have replaced the battery 7 times. Seven times! What?! Insane. This isn’t right. And it isn’t worth it, but that’s subjective.

A heavy user on an updated device will make battery health plummet in no time. It just can’t cope, the device asks too much from the battery.
Yeah, it’s definitely compatible as all the plugins function perfectly and there are no artefacts or issues with the display of the page. It just loads slowly compared to more powerful devices. I still think the A9 chipset on the highest version of iOS provides an okay experience on Safari. I regularly use my 6S to browse websites and have no natural desire to switch to my iPhone 13. I am typing this message on my 6S right now and there is zero input lag with the text.

The OGSE would probably be my favourite iPhone of all time. Extremely small, attractive aesthetic design, complete powerhouse & possesses great battery life. Literally no drawbacks unless the size of the screen bothers you.

I don’t really get involved in the compatibility vs. battery life & performance argument as it’s down to personal choice. If you barely use Safari & only use Netflix, Apple Music, Podcasts & FaceTime/iMessage then there is no requirement to update. If you wish to have access to the full suite of available apps then you must update. I don’t really feel the drawbacks with my iPad Mini 4 as I would rather have Safari performing slowly but correctly than quickly and unable to display many pages properly. I did have this problem on iOS 10 as I neglected to update my iPad until around 2021 and noticed a lot of applications were becoming redundant and web-pages were refusing to load properly. I am very sensitive to things like that so I had to update. Either it works, or the device gets shelved… I don’t give a device credit for running quickly whilst being incompatible with applications or websites. I refuse to put up with massive compromises with technology. Fortunately, the iPad I have runs apps very well so I don’t normally notice the huge performance hit that has been imposed on the device.

I am happy to replace my batteries once every 2 years. I would only do it for 2 devices though which are my daily driver and my secondary phone. I plan on keeping my 13 for at least another 3 years so it’ll require a new battery 1 year from now and my 6S will likely still be my secondary device so I will see if I can get another replacement battery 2 years from now. Those who replace their batteries once per year are on the excessive side. No one should have to replace a 6S battery 7 times in 8 years. The person who did that obviously cheaped out with non-OEM batteries. Like the old saying goes - “buy cheap, buy twice”. Realistically, you’d be on your 3rd or 4th OEM battery replacement if you had decided to keep your 6S for 7-8 years as a daily driver.

Last edited:

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Massive exaggeration.

On the 9.7-inch iPad Pro from iOS 12 to iPadOS 16? Yes, it will.
Not according to *checks notes* all the people who have actually checked these things and aren’t basing it off superstition.

Plenty people doing battery life tests on YouTube with identical devices across multiple software versions and there is no major difference.

Reactions: I7guy

Bogstandard

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2018
Mid West
I use an Xs. I'm on 17.1.2.

It's ok.
I think any bugs you encounter would also be on the latest and greatest that's made from, erm, "Titanium" (Asteroids).

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Yeah, it’s definitely compatible as all the plugins function perfectly and there are no artefacts or issues with the display of the page. It just loads slowly compared to more powerful devices. I still think the A9 chipset on the highest version of iOS provides an okay experience on Safari. I regularly use my 6S to browse websites and have no natural desire to switch to my iPhone 13. I am typing this message on my 6S right now and there is zero input lag with the text.
Yeah, it’ll run, but slowly. I guess it’s better than Safari not running at all, but a few websites aren’t worth the trade-off, in my opinion. I have keyboard lag on iOS 13, I’m very surprised about that.
The OGSE would probably be my favourite iPhone of all time. Extremely small, attractive aesthetic design, complete powerhouse & possesses great battery life. Literally no drawbacks unless the size of the screen bothers you.

Completely agree. If I had one and if it were minimally compatible with what I needed, I’d have no problem at all with using an iPhone SE 1st-gen on iOS 10 as a main phone. I’d be really happy with one. Neither do I have one nor is iOS 10 compatible with what I need at this point, sadly.

I don’t really get involved in the compatibility vs. battery life & performance argument as it’s down to personal choice. If you barely use Safari & only use Netflix, Apple Music, Podcasts & FaceTime/iMessage then there is no requirement to update. If you wish to have access to the full suite of available apps then you must update. I don’t really feel the drawbacks with my iPad Mini 4 as I would rather have Safari performing slowly but correctly than quickly and unable to display many pages properly. I did have this problem on iOS 10 as I neglected to update my iPad until around 2021 and noticed a lot of applications were becoming redundant and web-pages were refusing to load properly. I am very sensitive to things like that so I had to update. Either it works, or the device gets shelved… I don’t give a device credit for running quickly whilst being incompatible with applications or websites. I refuse to put up with massive compromises with technology. Fortunately, the iPad I have runs apps very well so I don’t normally notice the huge performance hit that has been imposed on the device.
Yeah, you need the compatibility and it’s fine. Apple makes it impossible to circumvent these issues if you don’t have another device to rely on. You end up having to buy something anyway at some point, which I something I’ve always thought. When it gets to the point in which using an original iOS version bothers me, it’s probably time to upgrade regardless. If I were to constantly update, because of my own requirements and expectations, I’d probably want to upgrade as soon as an update slightly decreases anything. I was fine with my 9.7-inch iPad Pro as my only iPad when it was on iOS 9. I immediately wanted a new one after Apple forced it out.

Like I said, iOS 10 isn’t really compatible anymore, so it’s understandable that it wasn’t working for you. Safari also really struggles on iOS 10, and forget about running newer apps.
I am happy to replace my batteries once every 2 years. I would only do it for 2 devices though which are my daily driver and my secondary phone. I plan on keeping my 13 for at least another 3 years so it’ll require a new battery 1 year from now and my 6S will likely still be my secondary device so I will see if I can get another replacement battery 2 years from now. Those who replace their batteries once per year are on the excessive side. No one should have to replace a 6S battery 7 times in 8 years. The person who did that obviously cheaped out with non-OEM batteries. Like the old saying goes - “buy cheap, buy twice”. Realistically, you’d be on your 3rd or 4th OEM battery replacement if you had decided to keep your 6S for 7-8 years as a daily driver.
Yeah, if you keep the 13 updated it’ll probably need a battery replacement after enough versions have elapsed. The 6s, like you experienced, sadly plummets with low battery health when updated, so I don’t think you can get out of replacing that one eventually, too. It gets to the point where it’s completely unusable, and the sad part is that it doesn’t even need to be destroyed. You had said that at 82% it was unusable already, and I have an 82% health 6s on iOS 13 and I agree.

As far as my battery replacements go, I don’t think I’d need even one. My iPhone Xʀ is over 4 years old. It has 93% health. It has 93% health because I get absurd hours of SOT due to efficient, light usage, and also because it’s on iOS 12. I charge slowly and I avoid heat. My 6s on iOS 9 was at 90% health after 3 years of it being my daily driver. This approach really works for me. More or less counting the hypothetical amount of cycles I’d have now, I’d most likely be close to 80% health with way less cycles than my current 6s on iOS 10 has. If that one works with 63% health on iOS 10, the 6s is definitely working with 80% health on iOS 9. Or maybe it stabilises and I’d be at something like 86% health, which would definitely not need a replacement. I’m obviously speculating, but looking at my battery health history, I really think I could use an iPhone for a decade as a main iPhone and never have to replace a battery. iOS compatibility issues would obviously preclude that from happening, but if, hypothetically, compatibility were completely fixed forever on all iOS versions, it’d be a massive amount of time before I ever see any issues, and I’m not sure I’d even see them. I don’t use my iPhones enough to degrade them, especially with my precautions on an original iOS version.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Not according to *checks notes* all the people who have actually checked these things and aren’t basing it off superstition.

Plenty people doing battery life tests on YouTube with identical devices across multiple software versions and there is no major difference.
Just curious, which devices do you use?

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
Just curious, which devices do you use?
I regularly use:

2011 27” iMac running Sonoma
2020 M1 MacBook Air running Sonoma
iPad Air 2 running iOS 15
iPad 11” Pro Gen 1 running iOS 17
iPhone XR/XS Max both running iOS 17.1.2 (I use the XS Max and my partner uses the XR)

And an iPad 9th Gen running 17.1.2 from Work.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I regularly use:

2011 27” iMac running Sonoma
2020 M1 MacBook Air running Sonoma
iPad Air 2 running iOS 15
iPad 11” Pro Gen 1 running iOS 17
iPhone XR/XS Max both running iOS 17.1.2 (I use the XS Max and my partner uses the XR)

And an iPad 9th Gen running 17.1.2 from Work.
And you still get 12 hours of light use on the iPad Air 2, 16 hours of screen-on time on the Xʀ, a few hours below that on the Xs Max, and the 3rd-gen iPad Pro still easily gets north of 10 hours?

CraigJDuffy

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2020
And you still get 12 hours of light use on the iPad Air 2, 16 hours of screen-on time on the Xʀ, a few hours below that on the Xs Max, and the 3rd-gen iPad Pro still easily gets north of 10 hours?
iPad specs sound about right but the iPhone XR and XS only got around 5 hours screen on time when they were brand new running their release OSes which is roughly what I get now. 16 hours is a fantasy on this device and always was.

But I go to bed with 20-40% charge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.