Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lastgreen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
hey guys anyone switched from iPhone x to Samsung s9? What was your experience?

Lastgreen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
I switched from iPhone X to S9+. I am happy for now. But battery was better on my X and I miss my Apple watch:)
My concern is whether the samsungs battery will deteriorate more overtime in comparison to the iPhone X... Apple usually has some good batteries. Was it weird switching from iOS to android? I feel like I'd regret buying an s9 Currently in the Apple ecosystem iPad , MacBook and iPhone 6+
[doublepost=1530371425][/doublepost]
I haven't swapped. I have the X and I've just picked up the S9 plus. I intend to keep both.
Which do you prefer thus far?
[doublepost=1530371458][/doublepost]
I switched from iPhone X to S9+. I am happy for now. But battery was better on my X and I miss my Apple watch:)
Anddd my last android phone was an s3.. haven't used android in maybe 5 years or more

bkrbyndr

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2014
Stockholm
My concern is whether the samsungs battery will deteriorate more overtime in comparison to the iPhone X... Apple usually has some good batteries. Was it weird switching from iOS to android? I feel like I'd regret buying an s9 Currently in the Apple ecosystem iPad , MacBook and iPhone 6+
[doublepost=1530371425][/doublepost]
Which do you prefer thus far?
[doublepost=1530371458][/doublepost]
Anddd my last android phone was an s3.. haven't used android in maybe 5 years or more
I am in eco system also.. Apple watch Series 3, iPhone X, Apple TV, MacBook Pro, airpords, iPad lol. But now I sold my watch and switch my iPhone X. The rest I still have.

Sometimes I miss my iPhone sometimes not :) both have good futures, I'd advise you to buy a S9+ and try if you are not glad u switch it. Because only u know the answer. By the way Samsung is waaay better now since Galaxy S3 :)) the screen amazing !!

Do you have pixel phones in your country ? I would have bought that if I had here in Sweden.

Last edited:
Reactions: macintoshmac

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
Had an s9 plus for a while but kept the x as well. Got rid of the s9 a few days back

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Curious. Can I ask why, & what you intend to use each for?
Well my X is a bit to small for me so the S9 plus can in the least tide me over until the X plus is released.

I'm also interested in trying out the variable apature on the camera and at the moment it's better for media as the X screen is small for watching videos.

Lastgreen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
Well my X is a bit to small for me so the S9 plus can in the least tide me over until the X plus is released.

I'm also interested in trying out the variable apature on the camera and at the moment it's better for media as the X screen is small for watching videos.
The screen is bigger than an iPhone + model though
[doublepost=1530389265][/doublepost]
Had an s9 plus for a while but kept the x as well. Got rid of the s9 a few days back
Why did you get rid of it? Didn't like the android OS?
[doublepost=1530389324][/doublepost]
I am in eco system also.. Apple watch Series 3, iPhone X, Apple TV, MacBook Pro, airpords, iPad lol. But now I sold my watch and switch my iPhone X. The rest I still have.

Sometimes I miss my iPhone sometimes not :) both have good futures, I'd advise you to buy a S9+ and try if you are not glad u switch it. Because only u know the answer. By the way Samsung is waaay better now since Galaxy S3 :)) the screen amazing !!

Do you have pixel phones in your country ? I would have bought that if I had here in Sweden.
No pixel phones here.. well I'm from Jamaica but I'm going to America in August so I would pick up a new phone when I go So that's why I want to make sure I make the right choice

bkrbyndr

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2014
Stockholm
Why did you get rid of it? Didn't like the android OS?
[doublepost=1530389324][/doublepost]
No pixel phones here.. well I'm from Jamaica but I'm going to America in August so I would pick up a new phone when I go So that's why I want to make sure I make the right choice
I see, then maybe you can wait for pixel 3!! I would like to have one pixel :) I choosed Samsung because there's no pixel phone here

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia

They were referring to the proposed 6.5" 2018 Plus model, which in reality should have ~6.35-6.45" of usable 'screen'.
[doublepost=1530405685][/doublepost]

Ok. Sounds like the X Plus should cater to most/all of your needs, considering all the Apple devices in your sig. :D

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
hey guys anyone switched from iPhone x to Samsung s9? What was your experience?

How about I own both? S9+ and iPhone X. The S9 is my work phone and X is my personal.

I like both for what they are. The screen is much larger on the S9 over the X. They are both fast phones. The iPhone doesn't have apps crashing all the time like I do sometimes on my S9. Depends what ECOSYSTEM you are also already invested in a lot. If it was apple, stay with them.

I expect the S9 to slow down after a year or so like my s7 edge did. Many said the s7 wouldn't either, but it did bad. And I am expecting the same.

20180617_095033_Burst01.jpg

Reactions: macintoshmac

Lastgreen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
How about I own both? S9+ and iPhone X. The S9 is my work phone and X is my personal.

I like both for what they are. The screen is much larger on the S9 over the X. They are both fast phones. The iPhone doesn't have apps crashing all the time like I do sometimes on my S9. Depends what ECOSYSTEM you are also already invested in a lot. If it was apple, stay with them.

I expect the S9 to slow down after a year or so like my s7 edge did. Many said the s7 wouldn't either, but it did bad. And I am expecting the same.

View attachment 768475
Thanks for your input! I was also concerned about it slowing down :/ I guess that's a big
Possibility so I guess maybe wait for the new iPhone models?

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

Since the Note battery issue Samsung batteries are much better they claim should not degrade more than 5% over two years and are likely to be the equivalent or better than Apple, certainly better than older Iphones

As for slowing down YMMV my S6 did not or my S7 as for S8 and S9 nope and as we have seen with Apple its a given with battery status hence the fix to give you a choice on some models

Apple and Samsung are both feature rich phones with little to discriminate other than personal preferences and some triva

Last edited:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

View attachment 768475

Honestly, I've never had one app or o/s crash since getting my Note 8. As for slowdowns, if they ever occur just reset your phone. OK it takes an hour or two but then you have a speed demon again. I have never had to do this with my Note either but I have had to reset every single iPhone I've owned at some point.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

View attachment 768475

My S8+ didn't slow down after more than a year. Plus I have never got any app crashes like what you described.

Lastgreen

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
My S8+ didn't slow down after more than a year. Plus I have never got any app crashes like what you described.
Hmmm... has the battery life gotten bad over the year? One poster here said it would decline by like 5% but I'm wondering how it's decline for you

Dodgeman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2016

Wasn't a fan of the Apple watch?

bkrbyndr

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2014
Stockholm
I liked Apple watch but wanted to try Samsung gear s3 but after research I saw there's a few problems with notifications, for example whatsapp you can only see last message and Bluetooth range is not really good etc.. So I will wait and see after October google, Samsung and Apple what they will come out watches :)
Wasn't a fan of the Apple watch?

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Honestly, I've never had one app or o/s crash since getting my Note 8. As for slowdowns, if they ever occur just reset your phone. OK it takes an hour or two but then you have a speed demon again. I have never had to do this with my Note either but I have had to reset every single iPhone I've owned at some point.
Well
had my note 8 for 3 months and apps did not crash anymore than they have on my last few iPhones. Same goes for the last Samsung phone I used for any extended period of time, the S5.

I’ll say it as I’ve said it many times before on this forum. The only android phones I’ve used which were buggy was the original galaxy note and the LG G3.

The note 3, S5, S4, S7 edge and note 8 were all fine. Generally smooth and stable.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Hmmm... has the battery life gotten bad over the year? One poster here said it would decline by like 5% but I'm wondering how it's decline for you

All smartphone batteries are the same quality. Do you think that Apple use some magic ones and Samsung use batteries they found on the floor?

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
Well, my S7 Edge was reset multiple times, and it was slow after the reset still. I've never had to reset an iPhone in 10 years I have been using them. Every single Android I have had needed a reset after 4-6 months to help it.
[doublepost=1530457374][/doublepost]

Well, you are a first. Because 100s of people disagree on the Android forums.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/help/samsung-galaxy-s8-lags-t3708826 as an example.
[doublepost=1530457410][/doublepost]

My s7 edge battery life declined by 30% at 2 years. It was pretty bad when I got rid of it.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
The OP is enquiring about the S9, we will be here for ever dragging up old stuff be it Samsung or Apple :D

You either like the Apple IPX offering/eco or prefer Samsung else both are fine devices

The OP needs to experience the phones 1st hand IMO to make an informed choice

Reactions: Ralfi

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Well, my S7 Edge was reset multiple times, and it was slow after the reset still. I've never had to reset an iPhone in 10 years I have been using them. Every single Android I have had needed a reset after 4-6 months to help it.
[doublepost=1530457374][/doublepost]

Well, you are a first. Because 100s of people disagree on the Android forums.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8/help/samsung-galaxy-s8-lags-t3708826 as an example.
[doublepost=1530457410][/doublepost]

My s7 edge battery life declined by 30% at 2 years. It was pretty bad when I got rid of it.

Stating that your S7 battery declined by 30% over 2 years is a meaningless stat. There will be plenty of iPhone batteries that decline the same amount or more, it all depends how often you charge it. A Li-ion battery is a Li-ion battery and the exact same tech is put into all phones. Samsung don't use 'lower quality' batteries than Apple. The reverse could be true, where is the data to support your argument that Samsung put lower quality batteries into their products? Batteries decline in performance, they are the achilles heel of current tech and especially when they're sealed into the product.

As for factory resets, how could your old S7 be 'just as slow' after a reset? Are you saying that the hardware somehow deteriorated? A factory reset will bring the phone back to original spec and performance. Of course updates on both platforms can slow devices down over time so a three year old phone with 3 major o/s updates is bound to be slower than it once was, and that absolutely applies to Apple too.

Reactions: bkrbyndr

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
Stating that your S7 battery declined by 30% over 2 years is a meaningless stat. There will be plenty of iPhone batteries that decline the same amount or more, it all depends how often you charge it. A Li-ion battery is a Li-ion battery and the exact same tech is put into all phones. Samsung don't use 'lower quality' batteries than Apple. The reverse could be true, where is the data to support your argument that Samsung put lower quality batteries into their products? Batteries decline in performance, they are the achilles heel of current tech and especially when they're sealed into the product.

As for factory resets, how could your old S7 be 'just as slow' after a reset? Are you saying that the hardware somehow deteriorated? A factory reset will bring the phone back to original spec and performance. Of course updates on both platforms can slow devices down over time so a three year old phone with 3 major o/s updates is bound to be slower than it once was, and that absolutely applies to Apple too.

Data is they now only guarantee the batteries will last 2-3 years on the newer phones when they didn't on the old ones. That is proof they didn't put the best batteries in their older phones.

The newer O/S versions caused it to not run as good even after resets. MANY had this issue on the forums just like the S8 is having.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.