Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Why? Most of us don't need it and aren't crying out for it. I honestly have never and will never understand the iMessage dealbreaking thing. I also don't need messages on anything except my phone. It's always by my side.
I didn't say it was a dealbreaker. Definitely not - I use WhatsApp and Textra (for contacts without WhatsApp) and it has been just fine. But I stuck with Apple for several years bc I was afraid to lose iMessage integration.

But it would be nice to have a universal messaging app that works seamlessly across phone, tablet, and laptop, regardless of platform, without resorting to web extensions. I keep hearing WhatsApp is creating an app for iPad but I'm not holding my breath bc IMO Apple will probably never allow it to come to fruition. They make a load of $$$ off users who are terrified of losing iMessage.
[doublepost=1530540523][/doublepost]
I think your Apple bias affects your reading comprehension.
Apple throttled iPhones because the batteries were substandard. Other phone manufacturers did not do this with older phones. Then Apple admitted they would do the same thing with new iphones last year that included the then current model iphone 7. All of this is well documented and discussed here on MR a gazillion times.

The batteries degraded faster than normal and had defects. Then to compensate Apple slowed the phones down.

Why did they do this? Because the battery could not provide enough power to keep the phone running and it would shutdown!!! To compensate for the bad batteries they throttled the phones.
This only affected the iphones 6 and 6s models. They even offered batter replacements as a result.

All batteries degrade over time. Then instead of lasting all day they only last a few hours instead. We have all been through that with our phones. But with certain iphones....the batteries did not just degrade...but would instead shutdown the phone. That is why Apple throttled them. Mostly starting with the models 6 and 6s becasue they went to new battery technology with the bigger phones.

Again if this was a software issue...they would have immediately pushed out a update and been done with the whole thing. Instead they are replacing batteries at a cost most estimates say is in the 100s of millions dollars.
I am interested how Note 8 battery holds up as I move into second year use. My iPhones 6 Plus and forward have all developed battery issues and/or major performance slowdown at about a year. This was a known phenomenon and someone finally investigated and defined the problem. Only then did Apple acknowledge the problem. We paid full price to replace our daughter's 6s battery at one year and then did the $29 replace about 6 months ago. She is now a few months later having battery problems and random freezing/reboots. I don't know if it's software or battery issue.

I read somewhere that Samsung has guaranteed <5% battery performance degradation for 2 years on the Note 8. If so, that's good enough for me bc I will want a new device for sure after 2 years anyway. But then again, what does a Samsung guarantee entail?

Reactions: jamezr

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I didn't say it was a dealbreaker. Definitely not - I use WhatsApp and Textra (for contacts without WhatsApp) and it has been just fine. But I stuck with Apple for several years bc I was afraid to lose iMessage integration.

But it would be nice to have a universal messaging app that works seamlessly across phone, tablet, and laptop, regardless of platform, without resorting to web extensions. I keep hearing WhatsApp is creating an app for iPad but I'm not holding my breath bc IMO Apple will probably never allow it to come to fruition. They make a load of $$$ off users who are terrified of losing iMessage.
[doublepost=1530540523][/doublepost]
I am interested how Note 8 battery holds up as I move into second year use. My iPhones 6 Plus and forward have all developed battery issues and/or major performance slowdown at about a year. This was a known phenomenon and someone finally investigated and defined the problem. Only then did Apple acknowledge the problem. We paid full price to replace our daughter's 6s battery at one year and then did the $29 replace about 6 months ago. She is now a few months later having battery problems and random freezing/reboots. I don't know if it's software or battery issue.

I read somewhere that Samsung has guaranteed <5% battery performance degradation for 2 years on the Note 8. If so, that's good enough for me bc I will want a new device for sure after 2 years anyway. But then again, what does a Samsung guarantee entail?

My S8+ after 1.5 years has degraded to 96%.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
My S8+ after 1.5 years has degraded to 96%.
Is that through very minimal use? I charge my Note 8 once every single day so I would expect much more degradation at the two year mark. Previous phones have needed charging twice per day during the second year of ownership.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Is that through very minimal use? I charge my Note 8 once every single day so I would expect much more degradation at the two year mark. Previous phones have needed charging twice per day during the second year of ownership.

Use a lot everyday 5-6hrs SOT. Charge once a day, sometimes twice per day.

Reactions: sunking101

Harthag

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I’ve given up again. I had one on yesterday. Big improvement because it didn’t distort the screen and touch input wasn’t effected. The problem I was having was that the iris scanner and face unlock wasn’t working as it was distorting the sensors.

Can't remember if I suggested it earlier in this thread or others, but the Whitestone Dome Glass protectors are the best I've ever used. I have one on my S9 and it covers the entire screen and curves perfectly. Just re-bought a P2XL and another DG protector for it (I previously had it installed on a prior P2XL). It's full adhesive and no lifting on edges or dot matrix BS, and the sensors on my S9 work fine. It is expensive, but I am buying one for every future phone I get. No issues at all since I installed it in March. Once you learn how to install it takes 5 minutes and you can keep the UV light and just buy the standalone protector for future phones.

angiexm

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2018
I'm actually using both iPhone 8 Plus (personal use) and Samsung S9+ (work, my 1st Android phone). Even though I've been using only iOS since the 1st iPhone came out, the learning curve for Android isn't too bad.

As for the hardware, i feel S9+ has more bells and whistles over the iP8 Plus but I don't think they are that critical.

hey guys anyone switched from iPhone x to Samsung s9? What was your experience?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.