Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bkrbyndr

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2014
Stockholm
I have a S7 edge too I'm using it when I travel outside country as a second phone. I think it's fast as first time, battery is still okay.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Data is they now only guarantee the batteries will last 2-3 years on the newer phones when they didn't on the old ones. That is proof they didn't put the best batteries in their older phones.

The newer O/S versions caused it to not run as good even after resets. MANY had this issue on the forums just like the S8 is having.
Let us not forget Apple's recent debacle with slowing down older phones which was related to batteries degrading over time. So iPhone batteries are not perfect either.

Reactions: sunking101

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
I have a S7 edge too I'm using it when I travel outside country as a second phone. I think it's fast as first time, battery is still okay.

2210 posts on how the S7 Edge has deteriorated and gotten very slow. Many other posts with many other replies just like this.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sprint-s7-edge/help/lag-unreal-t3578959/page4
[doublepost=1530467591][/doublepost]
Let us not forget Apple's recent debacle with slowing down older phones which was related to batteries degrading over time. So iPhone batteries are not perfect either.

That wasn't a battery issue though. That was Apple slowing the phones down thinking the batteries couldn't take the load. Some believe Samsung does the same thing.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
2210 posts on how the S7 Edge has deteriorated and gotten very slow. Many other posts with many other replies just like this.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/sprint-s7-edge/help/lag-unreal-t3578959/page4
[doublepost=1530467591][/doublepost]

That wasn't a battery issue though. That was Apple slowing the phones down thinking the batteries couldn't take the load. Some believe Samsung does the same thing.
It was a battery issue hence why batteries are being replaced now. You have a choice of reduced performance or your phone switching itself off suddenly. It's a battery issue. However I agree all phone manufacturers are doing it.

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
It was a battery issue hence why batteries are being replaced now. You have a choice of reduced performance or your phone switching itself off suddenly. It's a battery issue. However I agree all phone manufacturers are doing it.

Batteries are only being replaced because of Apples programming. Again, it wasn't a battery issue. Apple is putting a setting on their phones to run in high performance mode with the old batteries to let the users make that choice.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Batteries are only being replaced because of Apples programming. Again, it wasn't a battery issue. Apple is putting a setting on their phones to run in high performance mode with the old batteries to let the users make that choice.
Yes but you have a choice of having your phone switch off or having your phone 'slow down' to avoid it switching off. It's still a choice you have to make. Only having a new battery installed will fix the issue.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
That is not entirely true. If it was a software setting Apple would not be replacing batteries...they would just push out an software update to fix it.
The fact is the batteries were falling and the software was covering it up. This was a hardware issue.

Replacing the battery fixes the issue.....so it is not software related

They were slowing phones down to spur more upgrades....
Apple has admitted slowing iphones down to preserver battery life.....
There has been class action lawsuits....

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Taking that the battery circuitry was at fault and - I assume - the battery could exceed safe limit and could not rely on the battery behaving properly - plus given what happened with the Note 7 - but to equate the slowdown as also ‘force users to buy a new phone’ as evil conspiracy?

You can say that of every upgrade of applications and systems. Which we have beaten to death also in threads.

Maybe Apple really needed a buy back trade in program. Send it in and get an extra $100 off newer phone.

I has a 6S Plus with poor battery performance yet not one of those identified in batch nearly a year later. But I chose to sell mine and pick up a refurbished unit that performed properly. Also iOS 10 ran better. iOS 9 did not and needed 9.3 as even 9.2.1 was still ‘rough around the edges.’

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
That is not entirely true. If it was a software setting Apple would not be replacing batteries...they would just push out an software update to fix it.
The fact is the batteries were falling and the software was covering it up. This was a hardware issue.

Replacing the battery fixes the issue.....so it is not software related

They were slowing phones down to spur more upgrades....
Apple has admitted slowing iphones down to preserver battery life.....
There has been class action lawsuits....

Yes it is true. Apple has it programmed when the battery gets down to a certain percent for battery health, the phone will slow the processor down. If that setting wasn't there, the phone would run at full speed the whole life of that battery. They are only replacing them to help prevent their programming from slowing down those phones. Again, this is NOT a battery issue. The battery can have 80% life left, but the phone is slowing down because that is what is set in Apples programming. Replacing the battery is a work around so Apple doesn't have to reprogram the software or get rid of that feature. Also a way for them to make money.

There is no evidence that batteries were actually failing.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Yes it is true. Apple has it programmed when the battery gets down to a certain percent for battery health, the phone will slow the processor down. If that setting wasn't there, the phone would run at full speed the whole life of that battery.

I don't think that's true. Your iPhone can experience an unexpected shutdown because the battery was unable to deliver the necessary peak power. Not because the battery was fully depleted.

That's where they got caught out as most believe they were trying to limp home the batteries in to the out of warranty/cycle range or other alternatives/purchases

Additionally there was another battery issue:

"Apple has determined that a very small number of iPhone 6s devices may unexpectedly shut down. This is not a safety issue and only affects devices within a limited serial number range that were manufactured between September and October 2015."

Last edited:

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
So, any others switched from iPhone X to Samsung S9, as per thread title?

fcol, why does it always descend into narky Apple v Samsung bickering/one-upmanship around here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Itsjustcole

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
I don't think that's true. Your iPhone can experience an unexpected shutdown because the battery was unable to deliver the necessary peak power. Not because the battery was fully depleted.

That's where they got caught out as most believe they were trying to limp home the batteries in to the out of warranty/cycle range or other alternatives/purchases

Additionally there was another battery issue:

"Apple has determined that a very small number of iPhone 6s devices may unexpectedly shut down. This is not a safety issue and only affects devices within a limited serial number range that were manufactured between September and October 2015."

Apple isn't replacing the batteries due to them failing. They are doing it because the consumers want full performance instead of the slow downs. Apple can't tell if the device will shut down due to the battery, so they have a % they set in their programming to slow it down before it even gets that low. All batteries at 80% health will still work fine even as far down to 50% health.

Maybe the 6s had "battery issues" but not all the iPhones they are replacing batteries on.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yes it is true. Apple has it programmed when the battery gets down to a certain percent for battery health, the phone will slow the processor down. If that setting wasn't there, the phone would run at full speed the whole life of that battery. They are only replacing them to help prevent their programming from slowing down those phones. Again, this is NOT a battery issue. The battery can have 80% life left, but the phone is slowing down because that is what is set in Apples programming. Replacing the battery is a work around so Apple doesn't have to reprogram the software or get rid of that feature. Also a way for them to make money.

There is no evidence that batteries were actually failing.
No true....they had failing batteries. That was the reason for the software tweak.

Do yourself a favor and Google it......

Apple has apologized to its customers for what it calls a “misunderstanding” around the revelation that the company has been slowing down older phones to accommodate for their aging batteries.

http://time.com/5081679/apple-apologizes-iphone-slowdown-controversy-battery-price/

The New York Times’ Niraj Chokshi writes:

[Apple] could have avoided controversy by being more transparent to begin with. It could have notified people that a power management mode was kicking in to keep their iPhones running for longer because their batteries are running out of juice. That would also inform people that they should be getting their batteries replaced. Because Apple was not transparent, it’s natural for people to suspect it of deliberately crippling their devices to get them to buy new ones.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/apple-lawsuit-slow-iphones_us_5a3edcd6e4b0b0e5a7a293fc

ON WEDNESDAY, APPLE confirmed what many customers have long suspected: The company has been slowing the performance of older iPhones. Apple says it started the practice a year ago, to compensate for battery degradation, rather than push people to upgrade their smartphones faster. But even giving that benefit of the doubt, there are plenty of better ways Apple could have accomplished the same goal without betraying customer trust.
https://www.wired.com/story/apple-iphone-battery-slow-down/

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017

Again, no where does Apple say they did it due to failing batteries. You just don't get it. Aging, meaning batteries getting old, or weaker but still, the batteries are not BAD, or have not failed. They still work. You need to learn how batteries work. Let's see, I'm a engineer, you aren't. The software slows the phone down when it hits a percent of health on the battery period. It can run at full cpu speed with the old battery just fine but the battery won't last as long and that is why apple is coming out with the option to allow that.

Last edited:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Again, no where does Apple say they did it due to failing batteries. You just don't get it. Aging, meaning batteries getting old, or weaker but still, the batteries are not BAD, or have not failed. They still work. You need to learn how batteries work. Let's see, I'm a engineer, you aren't. The software slows the phone down when it hits a percent of health on the battery period. It can run at full cpu speed with the old battery just fine but the battery won't last as long and that is why apple is coming out with the option to allow that.

Even with low processor power the battery life still stank. I think it was an excuse pure and simple to find some plausible reason why they might want to slow older phones down. They got caught and had to feed us with BS. We all know that it's because they want you to buy a new phone. If planned obsolescence wasn't a thing then sealed batteries wouldn't be either. We would be able to swap a battery as easily as a SIM or SD card. They could design them to slide into the case with a watertight lid and it would bring an end to all battery degradation issues. This isn't just an Apple problem, it's industry wide and in fact most Android phones have to be practically destroyed to get to the battery. It's a joke.

Reactions: 4RunnerHeaven

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
Even with low processor power the battery life still stank. I think it was an excuse pure and simple to find some plausible reason why they might want to slow older phones down. They got caught and had to feed us with BS. We all know that it's because they want you to buy a new phone. If planned obsolescence wasn't a thing then sealed batteries wouldn't be either. We would be able to swap a battery as easily as a SIM or SD card. They could design them to slide into the case with a watertight lid and it would bring an end to all battery degradation issues. This isn't just an Apple problem, it's industry wide and in fact most Android phones have to be practically destroyed to get to the battery. It's a joke.

Yep, agreed. There is no doubt that Apple wanted people to upgrade every 2 years. :)

I think Samsung is doing it too by forcing the 2 year update cycle.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
As I've stated before, I switched to Note 8, my first Android phone last September after 7 years of only iPhone, fully anticipating buggy software, battery issues, performance lag, etc. according to these forums. Instead, I have been very pleasantly surprised to experience none of these problems. In fact, I have more frustrations (browser problems and app issues) with my 2017 iPad Pro purchased in December than I do with my Samsung phone. My husband's experience has been the same. I have never had to reset or restart my Note 8.

Choose the hardware/software solution that fits your needs. Both companies offer very good phones at this point. I was scared to switch bc of all the negativity re: Android and Samsung I had read. But I was tired of Apple's lackluster feature upgrades, ever-increasing price structure, and increasingly buggy software so I decided to give something else a try and have not regretted the decision at all. I don't even miss iMessage as my family and friends with iPhones willingly use WhatsApp to message me.

Apple has better customer service in the US but since I've had no problems with my phone, that hasn't mattered (to this point). I will probably upgrade this fall if there is a compelling new device but I wouldn't be surprised to keep my Note 8 another year bc it has been an awesome phone.

4RunnerHeaven

Suspended
Nov 24, 2017
As I've stated before, I switched to Note 8, my first Android phone last September after 7 years of only iPhone, fully anticipating buggy software, battery issues, performance lag, etc. according to these forums. Instead, I have been very pleasantly surprised to experience none of these problems. In fact, I have more frustrations (browser problems and app issues) with my 2017 iPad Pro purchased in December than I do with my Samsung phone. My husband's experience has been the same. I have never had to reset or restart my Note 8.

Choose the hardware/software solution that fits your needs. Both companies offer very good phones at this point. I was scared to switch bc of all the negativity re: Android and Samsung I had read. But I was tired of Apple's lackluster feature upgrades, ever-increasing price structure, and increasingly buggy software so I decided to give something else a try and have not regretted the decision at all. I don't even miss iMessage as my family and friends with iPhones willingly use WhatsApp to message me.

Apple has better customer service in the US but since I've had no problems with my phone, that hasn't mattered (to this point). I will probably upgrade this fall if there is a compelling new device but I wouldn't be surprised to keep my Note 8 another year bc it has been an awesome phone.

If it wasn't for that curved screen, and imessage, I would have kept my Note 8 as well. Best Android phone I have owned. At least I get to enjoy Android with my s9+ work phone still.

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
If it wasn't for that curved screen, and imessage, I would have kept my Note 8 as well. Best Android phone I have owned. At least I get to enjoy Android with my s9+ work phone still.
Yes I agree I could do without the curved screen (I’ve given up on screen protectors for this phone, using it naked and accepting some small scratches) but I still prefer this design to the notch. I do like having my close contacts and chosen apps handy in the edge screen feature. Hopefully there will be a cross-platform complete messaging solution coming someday soon so that messages can be universally synched between mobile phones, tablets, and computers. I think I’m done with the closed ecosystem, at least for now.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Hopefully there will be a cross-platform complete messaging solution coming someday soon so that messages can be universally synched between mobile phones, tablets, and computers.

Why? Most of us don't need it and aren't crying out for it. I honestly have never and will never understand the iMessage dealbreaking thing. I also don't need messages on anything except my phone. It's always by my side.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Yes I agree I could do without the curved screen (I’ve given up on screen protectors for this phone, using it naked and accepting some small scratches) but I still prefer this design to the notch. I do like having my close contacts and chosen apps handy in the edge screen feature. Hopefully there will be a cross-platform complete messaging solution coming someday soon so that messages can be universally synched between mobile phones, tablets, and computers. I think I’m done with the closed ecosystem, at least for now.

I have those preformed curved tempered glass protector which fits nicely on my S8+. No issue whatsoever. That's the only thing I had on my phone.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I have those preformed curved tempered glass protector which fits nicely on my S8+. No issue whatsoever. That's the only thing I had on my phone.
I’ve given up again. I had one on yesterday. Big improvement because it didn’t distort the screen and touch input wasn’t effected. The problem I was having was that the iris scanner and face unlock wasn’t working as it was distorting the sensors.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I think your Apple bias affects your reading comprehension.
Apple throttled iPhones because the batteries were substandard. Other phone manufacturers did not do this with older phones. Then Apple admitted they would do the same thing with new iphones last year that included the then current model iphone 7. All of this is well documented and discussed here on MR a gazillion times.

The batteries degraded faster than normal and had defects. Then to compensate Apple slowed the phones down.

Why did they do this? Because the battery could not provide enough power to keep the phone running and it would shutdown!!! To compensate for the bad batteries they throttled the phones.
This only affected the iphones 6 and 6s models. They even offered batter replacements as a result.

All batteries degrade over time. Then instead of lasting all day they only last a few hours instead. We have all been through that with our phones. But with certain iphones....the batteries did not just degrade...but would instead shutdown the phone. That is why Apple throttled them. Mostly starting with the models 6 and 6s becasue they went to new battery technology with the bigger phones.

Again if this was a software issue...they would have immediately pushed out a update and been done with the whole thing. Instead they are replacing batteries at a cost most estimates say is in the 100s of millions dollars.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.