Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2016
USA
I am using the Waterfield case to store the APM and I am generally very happy with the design and build . I also welcome the magnets in the case that enable the APM to "sleep" in low power mode just as in the original "bra".

I have noticed though that when stored in the Waterfield case for a longer period of time (24+hrs) the APM will not wake when taken out. They will not connect to any device nor are they responsive to either Crown or side button. Also, a reset - pressing both buttons - does not wake them up.

The only way I have been able to wake them up is to connect them briefly - literally a second - to a power source. And, no, they were not discharged.

Anybody seeing the same with any other case?

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2016
USA
It has to be the case then. Have you contacted customer services with all the details. I would be interested to know if anyone else having this problem as I was considering ordering one of their cases
I was wondering about the magnets. I am still testing before going back to them. Hence, my inquiry here if anybody else has experienced it.

gagee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
I would be interested to hear what is the resolution. I haven’t ordered the case yet.

terryw1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2018
phoenix
Have you contacted WaterField? I would! My case is coming this week and now I am concerned. Please let us know how you make out.

vacay

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2012
Wonder how widespread this is. Or if Gary from Waterfield rushed the design of it, in order to release to market before the competition.

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2016
USA
I did connect with Gary. They had one other customer making the same observation (out of thousands of cases shipped). He was not able to reproduce the issue so far. I keep testing for now.

gagee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
I did connect with Gary. They had one other customer making the same observation (out of thousands of cases shipped). He was not able to reproduce the issue so far. I keep testing for now.
Did he say if he was going to replace yours?

chicagofan00

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
I’ve experienced the same thing! In my case I have been able to get them to connect if I put them back in the case briefly and then take them right back out. Not a true deal breaker but also a nuisance especially for the price paid on the case. Other than this I do like the case a lot as the rest does seem very high quality.

random person

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
Wow! Please keep us posted! Just received mine today and blown away by the build quality but now I am concerned. Was intending to use it with the original bra as well as I like the bra for in home use rather than traveling. But this report is a definite concern! I assume you were using the case without the bra?

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2016
USA
Here is my (non-scientific) observation summary after playing around with this for several days (all overnight, i.e. 8+ hrs in the respective case):

- Original case: no waking issue
- WF case (both in-case magnets up): waking issue (requires power source to awake)
- WF case (both magnets down): no waking issue
- WF case (one magnet up only): no waking issue
- WF case with original bra and magnets down: no waking issue

Of course, not a representative sample. However, based on this I presume the size, position or strength of the two magnets in the WF may cause the issue. What I don’t know is, if with only one magnet down will the APM go into "deep sleep" mode or not? If not, it would be the same as if stored without a magnet. To figure out the latter, you would have to check battery levels after several days.

I don’t view this as a major issue, i.e. not planning to return the case, especially since it seems not to be broader issue, but I did let Gary know of the above for him to further investigate (if he chooses to do so).

You may have to test for yourself.

gagee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
Here is my (non-scientific) observation summary after playing around with this for several days (all overnight, i.e. 8+ hrs in the respective case):

- Original case: no waking issue
- WF case (both in-case magnets up): waking issue (requires power source to awake)
- WF case (both magnets down): no waking issue
- WF case (one magnet up only): no waking issue
- WF case with original bra and magnets down: no waking issue

Of course, not a representative sample. However, based on this I presume the size, position or strength of the two magnets in the WF may cause the issue. What I don’t know is, if with only one magnet down will the APM go into "deep sleep" mode or not? If not, it would be the same as if stored without a magnet. To figure out the latter, you would have to check battery levels after several days.

I don’t view this as a major issue, i.e. not planning to return the case, especially since it seems not to be broader issue, but I did let Gary know of the above for him to further investigate (if he chooses to do so).

You may have to test for yourself.
Are you going to keep testing? Or use it with magnets down?

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
It must be the way the magnet are positioned.
My Geekria case is due to arrive in the next week or so, So I shall test it and see if there is a issue with the magnets as the magnet setup should be the same.

gagee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
It must be the way the magnet are positioned.
My Geekria case is due to arrive in the next week or so, So I shall test it and see if there is a issue with the magnets as the magnet setup should be the same.
I see that people are complaining about a smell from that case from geekria

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2016
USA
Are you going to keep testing? Or use it with magnets down?
I will use it for a few days with just one magnet up, as I am curious, if APM will deep sleep or not, i.e. does energy consumption differ between using bra case and WF with one flap up only.
I don't view it as a big deal either, as you could choose to use both magnets, none or one or place it into the WF case with the bra on. YMMV.

terryw1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2018
phoenix
Took my APMs out after 23 hrs in case , no issues and just 2% battery drain. So far so good. They immediately woke up and connected with my iPad.
I had both magnets up.

Reactions: Frankfurt

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
Mine is exactly the same, both magnets up, left in for 20 hours or so, APM’s will not wake up at all. They needed to be plugged in to a charger for a couple of seconds and then they started working again.

No button pushes would wake them

I have emailed Waterfield and await their response.

Jason

Reactions: Frankfurt

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
I hope they find a fix for this, I ordered a case the other day, but not due to be shipped until March 5th.
I’m sure they will. They are looking at it.

Gary emailed me last night. They have had 4 people highlight this issue out of the thousands of cases they have sold. They have 3 pairs of APM’s at the office and they don’t exhibit the same problem so trying to find out what is causing this is going to be very difficult.

Gary has given me a list of ways to test how the APM’s react under different conditions and I will report back to him as soon as I’ve done these.

If anyone has the same issue, then I urge you to email him. The more feedback he gets, the better it will be

Jason

Reactions: jazz1 and JuneJune
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.