Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vacay

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2012
So what’s the consensus here? If you buy this case, only put one of the magnets up?

terryw1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2018
phoenix
So what’s the consensus here? If you buy this case, only put one of the magnets up?
I’d say it depends on whether you have holes in the magnets. You can feel them. If holes only put one magnet up, solid put both up.

chicagofan00

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
So...today I took the APM out of the case after using both magnets (the have the holes) and it connected to my iPhone without any issues on the first try. They were in the case fro nearly 24hrs.

Honestly not sure how to consistently replicate the issue now at this point...

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
So...today I took the APM out of the case after using both magnets (the have the holes) and it connected to my iPhone without any issues on the first try. They were in the case fro nearly 24hrs.

Honestly not sure how to consistently replicate the issue now at this point...
Mine have consistently NOT woken from the case when using both magnets when left for more than about 20 hours or so.

I have been doing some extensive testing for Gary to try and help work this out.

However, on Monday night, I took them out of the case, after being left for 23 hours with both magnets and they woke up perfectly.

I repeated this, put them back in with both magnets, took them out again after another 22 hours and they work perfectly again.

This has confused me somewhat as it has been repeatable and consistent for me so far, I have no idea why, all of a sudden, the headphones are now waking up from the case.

I will continue to test, but I’m unsure what’s going on now.

Jason

Y2JDMBFAN

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Mine have consistently NOT woken from the case when using both magnets when left for more than about 20 hours or so.

I have been doing some extensive testing for Gary to try and help work this out.

However, on Monday night, I took them out of the case, after being left for 23 hours with both magnets and they woke up perfectly.

I repeated this, put them back in with both magnets, took them out again after another 22 hours and they work perfectly again.

This has confused me somewhat as it has been repeatable and consistent for me so far, I have no idea why, all of a sudden, the headphones are now waking up from the case.

Jason

Was there a potential firmware update we are unaware of?

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2016
USA

Jason

Same here. Last two times they woke up just fine. Previously, consistently non responsive.

chicagofan00

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010

Jason

I tested once again with this time leaving the APMs in the case for approx. 33hrs and using both magnets. Once again took them out of the case and they instantly connected to my iPhone without any issues.

I reported this to Gary today and he replied back saying that 4 out of the 6 people that have reported this issue are now reporting the same thing in which they are now consistently waking and connecting versus not waking upon initial removal from the case.

Very strange indeed...

Paninnguaq

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2018
I will take a guess - the bra case is a tight fit, which means that when the headphones are in it, the relative position of the magnets to the cans does not vary when the headphones in the bra case are moved slightly on the table or even carried around.

The Waterfield is not a tight fit, which means that if the case is moved, the relative position of the magnets to the cans changes. This change probably causes issues. Some people might leave the case absolutely unmoved for hours, while some might move it around, which could explain why some people have issues and some don't.

Reactions: Enygmatic

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Can add me to the list. Sitting in the waterfield case( holes in magnets) for about 30 hours and took them out and wouldn't wake up.

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
Can add me to the list. Sitting in the waterfield case( holes in magnets) for about 30 hours and took them out and wouldn't wake up.
The next thing to try is to use only one magnet and leave them for a while and then see if they wake up.

I have had consistent issue and now all of a sudden, I cannot get them to go wrong. They wake up every single time with both magnets up.

I have left them for 96 hours in the care and then took them out, they woke up perfectly and worked as they should. The APM’s must have gone into their deep sleep mode as well as they only lost 9% battery in that time period as well

Jason

chicagofan00

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
I’ve noticed another interesting aspect. When I was going back and forth with Gary for a few days and doing some various testing, I was putting the APM in the case and I’d then put the case off the the side of my desk but standing up and leaning against the wall. In those instances the APM would consistently wake and connect to my iPhone without issues even when sitting for 24hrs plus in the case. Now, this week on two different occasions I’ve put the APM in the case with the case lying flat on the desk and when taking them out I could not get them to wake and connect to my iPhone upon initial removal from the case.

My only thought to these scenarios is as stated by a poster above about them not being super snug in the case and when the case was standing up and leaning against the wall the APMs slide down a bit and weren’t in contact fully with the magnets despite a strong enough connection to have them remain asleep and disconnect to any of my devices. However, when lying down flat the APM were in full contact with the magnets and thus cause them not to wake after removal.

It really is a baffling scenario and never seems to be fully consistent and repeatable. ??‍♂️

Reactions: kuietstorm

kuietstorm

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2015
Chicago, IL
I’ve noticed another interesting aspect. When I was going back and forth with Gary for a few days and doing some various testing, I was putting the APM in the case and I’d then put the case off the the side of my desk but standing up and leaning against the wall. In those instances the APM would consistently wake and connect to my iPhone without issues even when sitting for 24hrs plus in the case. Now, this week on two different occasions I’ve put the APM in the case with the case lying flat on the desk and when taking them out I could not get them to wake and connect to my iPhone upon initial removal from the case.

My only thought to these scenarios is as stated by a poster above about them not being super snug in the case and when the case was standing up and leaning against the wall the APMs slide down a bit and weren’t in contact fully with the magnets despite a strong enough connection to have them remain asleep and disconnect to any of my devices. However, when lying down flat the APM were in full contact with the magnets and thus cause them not to wake after removal.

It really is a baffling scenario and never seems to be fully consistent and repeatable. ??‍♂️
I noticed the same thing yesterday. In fact, when I would attempt to zip the case up, the APM would connect. I noticed they would move just ever so slightly when zipping up the case.

Reactions: chicagofan00

Paninnguaq

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2018
Gary can keep asking paid customers to conduct as much 'testing' for him as he wants, but ultimately the problem is the loose fit. The problem is the design. One cannot make a travel case and expect people to leave it undisturbed.

The least he can do at this point is to redo the measurements and ensure that future batches have a proper snug fit.

I have so far not heard of similar complaints from people who bought the inexpensive snug fit hard cases.

Secondly, magnets are not a rare resource in short supply. It is a simple matter to order one type of magnet. There is no reason to use two different types of magnets in different cases other than that Waterfield are conducting A/B testing and asking customers to pay $99 for the privilege.

Last edited:
Reactions: artfossil

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
Gary can keep asking paid customers to conduct as much 'testing' for him as he wants, but ultimately the problem is the loose fit. The problem is the design. One cannot make a travel case and expect people to leave it undisturbed.

The least he can do at this point is to redo the measurements and ensure that future batches have a proper snug fit.

I have so far not heard of similar complaints from people who bought the inexpensive snug fit hard cases.

Secondly, magnets are not a rare resource in short supply. It is a simple matter to order one type of magnet. There is no reason to use two different types of magnets in different cases other than that Waterfield are conducting A/B testing and asking customers to pay $99 for the privilege.
I appreciate Waterfield's products and bought a few cases back in the day. But this appears to be a defective product. (Probably due to the pressure to get to market.) I hope Waterfield is paying for return shipping for anyone experiencing the not-waking problem.

Reactions: Paninnguaq

chicagofan00

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
In all honesty the issue doesn’t really bother me that much and probably never would have put more thought into it if this thread hadn’t popped up. Should it be happening, no, but it isn‘t so bothersome to make me return it. Gary has been extremely receptive of the feedback and he’s actually shipping out another case next week for me to try.

kuietstorm

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2015
Chicago, IL
In all honesty the issue doesn’t really bother me that much and probably never would have put more thought into it if this thread hadn’t popped up. Should it be happening, no, but it isn‘t so bothersome to make me return it. Gary has been extremely receptive of the feedback and he’s actually shipping out another case next week for me to try.
That’s good customer service. I too don’t think I would have given any thought about it either. I’d say the case works 98% of the time....and it looks great!

Reactions: chicagofan00

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
That’s good customer service. I too don’t think I would have given any thought about it either. I’d say the case works 98% of the time....and it looks great!
Gary has been extremely concerned about this and I am confident that he will do whatever he needs to do to resolve this.

I am based in the UK and he has offered to ship me a new case at their cost at any point, now, or, in his words, 10 years in the future. They take customer service very seriously and are working to try and understand the root cause of the issue. I can see why this did not crop up in their testing

Jason

BaddAdvice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2016
Just received my Forza green canvas case - very nice. I threw my APMs, sans bra, into the case with the magnets down and the cans disconnected from my phone and iPad (disappeared from the battery widget). Took them back out and they connected right up. Hardly a scientifically sound experiment, but so far, so good. Oh, and the magnets are solid - no holes in the middle.

54BEBAB0-4233-4645-88E4-152D30F51221.jpeg

FFE3B335-D971-4E43-A388-17775F8B2AA0.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Fatboy71 and gagee

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
Gary has been extremely concerned about this and I am confident that he will do whatever he needs to do to resolve this.

I am based in the UK and he has offered to ship me a new case at their cost at any point, now, or, in his words, 10 years in the future. They take customer service very seriously and are working to try and understand the root cause of the issue. I can see why this did not crop up in their testing

Jason

That is excellent customer service.
I too live in the UK and I ordered the black leather one yesterday (for when I receive the AirPods Max). Hopefully I won't have the issue, but its extremely good to know that Gary is willing to ship out a replacement all the way to the UK.

One last thing (with you also living in the UK).
At the checkout, Fedex/Waterfield allow you to pay the customs/fees. I just wanted you to confirm that you did not incur any other taxes, fees etc once they had arrived in the UK?

Thanks.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I haven't been able to duplicate it. Had it in the case with 1 magnet only for 24 hours worked fine. Left in the case with both magnets for 4 days, come back to woke up with no issues.

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
That is excellent customer service.
I too live in the UK and I ordered the black leather one yesterday (for when I receive the AirPods Max). Hopefully I won't have the issue, but its extremely good to know that Gary is willing to ship out a replacement all the way to the UK.

One last thing (with you also living in the UK).
At the checkout, Fedex/Waterfield allow you to pay the customs/fees. I just wanted you to confirm that you did not incur any other taxes, fees etc once they had arrived in the UK?

Thanks.
No, that price is everything included. There were no more fees to pay, you’re all good ??

Reactions: Fatboy71
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.