Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKapple73

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
I wonder if it’s a slight difference in the magnetic strength of the magnets. Too much and it might make the switch “stick” , then maybe plugging power in overrides it
I guess these third party cases won’t have the tight QA tolerances in the magnets that Apple does

Paninnguaq

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2018
It might also be that the movement of the magnets does undesirable things. The bra-case is so tight and secure that the magnet in it does not move at all relative to the position of the cans. Whereas with all the other third party cases the magnet can move relative to the cans, even if it's just millimetres.

terryw1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2018
phoenix
Has anyone with this issue tried going back to the Apple “bra” case to see if the problem is the case or if the problem is actually with the headphones?
Yes. I actually have the problem with the bra and not the case. Will need a few more days to finish the testing due to the length of time and I don’t like being without my APMSThat long!

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
For those of you that are suffering with this issue, could you please have a feel of the magnets on the butterflies and please let me know if they are solid, or if they have holes in the middle of them. Very easy to determine this by feeling them through the leather.

This is one of the questions that Gary has asked. If you haven’t already done so, can you please email him to let him know that you are a having the problem, he is very keen to understand what is going on

Jason

scotland007

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2009
For those of you that are suffering with this issue, could you please have a feel of the magnets on the butterflies and please let me know if they are solid, or if they have holes in the middle of them. Very easy to determine this by feeling them through the leather.

This is one of the questions that Gary has asked. If you haven’t already done so, can you please email him to let him know that you are a having the problem, he is very keen to understand what is going on

Jason
Mine have the hollows in the middle, i also have had the power issues. I just emailed Gary.

Reactions: JasonHB

bryanhalpin

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
Have the same issue. A couple of times now, I left the AirPods Max in the Waterfield case only for a few days and they went into a very very very deep sleep where the only way to wake them up was to hard reset or plug into a power source. The magnets also have a hole in them, hollow. I emailed Gary as well.

bryanhalpin

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010

Jason
Did Waterfield offer any compensation or return/replace for the issue yet?

terryw1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2018
phoenix
Hmmmm...interesting. mine don’t have the issue...at least the few times I have tested. But my magnets are solid...no holes.

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
Did Waterfield offer any compensation or return/replace for the issue yet?
I’ve not even asked for that currently. I’m happy to try and help Gary get to the bottom of this for everyone’s benefit. If they can’t resolve it, then I’m sure he will sort something out.

When that moment comes, I’ll deal with it then

Jason

bryanhalpin

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
I’ve not even asked for that currently. I’m happy to try and help Gary get to the bottom of this for everyone’s benefit. If they can’t resolve it, then I’m sure he will sort something out.

When that moment comes, I’ll deal with it then

Jason
I think the magnets with the holes in them might be the issue. At least that’s going in the right direction towards the problem. Someone else above said their magents were not hollow and they didn’t have the issue. So there’s definitely different magents they were using.

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
I think the magnets with the holes in them might be the issue. At least that’s going in the right direction towards the problem. Someone else above said their magents were not hollow and they didn’t have the issue. So there’s definitely different magents they were using.
There are 2 different types.

Gary said that there are some with holes and some without and he’s trying to understand whether this is a factor.

They are however, exactly the same strength apparently, just a different design.

Jason

chicagofan00

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Just catching up on this thread again. I have the issue with the APM not waking up having taking them out of the case and I do in fact have the magnets with the holes in them. I have not reached out to Gary yet but perhaps it is time to do so.

redRAYZA

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
My black leather WaterField case definitely has the magnet holes, but I’m not having any issues with my launch-day Space Gray pair waking up.

I’ve kept it in the case (magnets up) for 30+ hrs and it immediately reconnects every time to my iPhone/iPad with almost no battery drain.

I think people with this issue also need to make sure it can’t be replicated with the included smart case. It’s possible that the problem is with the headphones themselves.

chicagofan00

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
My black leather WaterField case definitely has the magnet holes, but I’m not having any issues with my launch-day Space Gray pair waking up.

I’ve kept it in the case (magnets up) for 30+ hrs and it immediately reconnects every time to my iPhone/iPad with almost no battery drain.

I think people with this issue also need to make sure it can’t be replicated with the included smart case. It’s possible that the problem is with the headphones themselves.
I’ve experience zero issues with them connecting to my devices when using the Apple bra case. Only ever started occurring with my APM when I got the Waterfield case. I got my APM on launch day and didn’t get the Waterfield case until after mid-January.

terryw1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2018
phoenix
I’ve experience zero issues with them connecting to my devices when using the Apple bra case. Only ever started occurring with my APM when I got the Waterfield case. I got my APM on launch day and didn’t get the Waterfield case until after mid-January.
While I don’t have the issue with the smart case....I do with the bra and had stopped using it. I also had the issue 2x when my APMs were simply left on the dresser in excess of 20hrs. I use them regularly so outside of actual testing for the issue with the Waterfield case, I have no had the problem at all with the case. And as stated before my magnets have no holes.

redRAYZA

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007

Very weird. I hope we get some answers on this soon. I’m interested to know what would cause this.

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
Just catching up on this thread again. I have the issue with the APM not waking up having taking them out of the case and I do in fact have the magnets with the holes in them. I have not reached out to Gary yet but perhaps it is time to do so

I think you should, he’s very keen to get to the route cause of this.

Jason

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK

Do you not think that perhaps we’ve done this already?

This does not happen for most of us in the smart case, only the Waterfield one.

It may be related to the headphones themselves, but then Apple have a QC issue, or there are different builds perhaps which is why some have an issue and others don’t.

Jason

chicagofan00

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
While I don’t have the issue with the smart case....I do with the bra and had stopped using it. I also had the issue 2x when my APMs were simply left on the dresser in excess of 20hrs. I use them regularly so outside of actual testing for the issue with the Waterfield case, I have no had the problem at all with the case. And as stated before my magnets have no holes.
Interesting. Haven’t experienced it at all with the bra case so far. Could very well be an Apple issue after all.
I think you should, he’s very keen to get to the route cause of this.

Jason
Sent an email over to him after posting in this thread. We’ve exchanged a couple of emails now and I’ve provided him the details of what I’ve seen so far. I’m going to try it out with using just one magnet as my next test.

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
Interesting. Haven’t experienced it at all with the bra case so far. Could very well be an Apple issue after all.

Sent an email over to him after posting in this thread. We’ve exchanged a couple of emails now and I’ve provided him the details of what I’ve seen so far. I’m going to try it out with using just one magnet as my next test.
I did that as my second test. Worked perfectly with one magnet, left for 24 hours and they woke up perfectly.

Jason

Y2JDMBFAN

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
So all in all, is this case worth it? Looks awesome to me, just wanted to get some input as it isn't cheap.

terryw1

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2018
phoenix
So all in all, is this case worth it? Looks awesome to me, just wanted to get some input as it isn't cheap.
I think it is worth it. I bought 3 different cases, one I am gifting to my brother and the other I am returning. This is a quality case that fits the APMS perfectly and is nice to behold. It’s also compact enough to fit into other bags such as backpacks, large purses and small overnite travel bags. The insides are plush and protect the headphones. There also pockets to store chargers. Bricks and wires separately. This is the perfect case.

Reactions: Fatboy71

chicagofan00

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Tested out using only one of the magnets in the case and the APM woke up and connected to my devices without a single issue. They were left in the case for approx. 20 hours. I reported as such to Gary. I am testing again the use of two of the magnets and will leave them in the case for about 20 hours and report back to Gary again. While the number of issues being reported is low, hopefully this data will help them track it down and fix it going forward.

While the issue of the waking is a bit of a nuisance I don’t find it to be a dealbreaker on the case. Overall I think the case is of high quality and provides some great protection. Gary has already mentioned possibly sending me a replacement case but even if he didn’t I’m perfectly happy with the case overall.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.