Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Great news but they lost all my trust with this. I will continue to use local backups on my Mac and keep my photos out of iCloud for good.
So you're saying Apple lost your trust for LOOKING into implementing CSAM and then NOT actually doing this, and finally today stating it's not going forward to implementing this?

Seriously?

smh.

forrie

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
I have mixed feelings about this; however, until Apple allows the consumer to control her/his own encryption keys to her/his own content, can we ever really trust that Apple isn't doing something else behind the scenes, just like every other large entity -- and if you consider secret court orders, that's another matter.

Diskutant

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2019
After extensive consultation with experts After extensive public pressure...

Never should have succumbed to the public feedback! Perhaps a botched introduction but no one else would have done it 'right' like Apple because of the scrutiny they are under.

You are reading it wrong!

They say after extensive consultation they are deepening the Communication Safety feature.

Reactions: MacPrince

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
So you're saying Apple lost your trust for LOOKING into implementing CSAM and then NOT actually doing this, and finally today stating it's not going forward to implementing this?

Seriously?

smh.
Yes. That’s all it takes to lose users trust. They have planted the seed of doubt in my and many other end users minds. I’m not going to forget and just blindly take them at their word. If you believe any corporation has your best interests in mind and you think they’re always telling the truth to users, get with the program. Apple probably realized how badly they eroded trust in their otherwise loyal base. All it takes is one slip up for people to lose trust permanently.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007

Seriously?

smh.

They were ready to roll it out, but backed off when their consumer base set their brand on fire for combing through their private data.

You think they announce stuff like this without having every detail developed and implemented? They even replied with the chance of getting a false positive.

Seriously?

smh.

Canyonero

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
This is great news. I'm glad Apple listened. I was afraid they'll just bury this for so long people will quiet down and then reintroduce it at some point. Apple still has soul and cares about expert/customer opinion.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
I'm assuming they're disabling this only in the US version of iOS, other countries, YMMV. :rolleyes:

forrie

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Why?

Just because Apple doesn't scan for content, doesn't mean law enforcement cannot subpoena/compel access to the content that may be stored on Apple's servers once there is proper legal cause to do so.

Yes, and there are also "secret" orders that can't be disclosed in any manner. So, while Apple can craft public relations on "their" behalf, it does not include the rest -- I believe every major tech entity must have orders in place for national security and other purposes. But that's another rabbit hole...

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
After extensive consultation with experts After extensive public pressure...

Never should have succumbed to the public feedback! Perhaps a botched introduction but no one else would have done it 'right' like Apple because of the scrutiny they are under.
They probably understood that you can’t claim privacy is a human right while simultaneously “comb” through the private data of your customers. Just like your landlord cannot inspect your apartment without previously notifying you.

• Love
Reactions: SFjohn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.