Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
Good luck suing the ones who set the rules, Apple!

Why not simply fix the exploits and setup a decent bug-bounty program to attract security researchers and motivate them to submit the exploits!

Apple is a 2 trillion company which is too stingy to payout for bugs and exploits.
In other words they care for ?, all just a show to make people think they care for privacy.

Plus hating Israel is de rigueur among many, as some of the comments here prove.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
Good. It might give Apple a breather while they completely rewrite a lot of the code that iOS depends on. A top security expert reckons it's full of bugs waiting to be exploited.

true god

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2015

Why not simply fix the exploits and setup a decent bug-bounty program to attract security researchers and motivate them to submit the exploits!

Apple is a 2 trillion company which is too stingy to payout for bugs and exploits.
In other words they care for ?, all just a show to make people think they care for privacy.
Seriously? Apple is sitting at the same table just want to virtue signal a lil bit.

• Angry
Reactions: Krizoitz

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I'm honestly not that impressed...

there was RADIO SILENCE when this report dropped that iPhones were vulnerable. Hoping it would all just blow over, exposure wise perhaps?

They left users completely in the dark for far too long, and probably ostensibly continue to in ways we will never understand and/or will never come to fruition.

I no longer see Apple as a company built on the foundational pillar of privacy. It's sad.

Last edited:

Malus120

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2002
That smells more than a little of antisemitism to me ?

Not sure if you're being tongue in cheek here but nothing antisemitic about it. Calling out an ally for repeatedly trampling our (US) interests is (would be) part of any normal, healthy interstate relationship. Israel's a tough state in a tough neighborhood, and I understand that but I don't think it's unfair to say that in light of their tragic history providing tools of repression seems like it should be... inconsistent with the country's values?

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
NSO is NOT "state sponsored". Any misuse of their product is on their customers.

"NSO is a private company, it is not a governmental project and therefore even if it is designated, it has nothing to do with the policies of the Israeli government," Lapid told a news conference in Jerusalem. "I don't think there is another country in the world which has such strict rules according to cyber warfare and that is imposing those rules more than Israel and we will continue to do so."

Last edited:

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
Not sure if you're being tongue in cheek here but nothing antisemitic about it. Calling out an ally for repeatedly trampling our (US) interests is (would be) part of any normal, healthy interstate relationship. Israel's a tough state in a tough neighborhood, and I understand that but I don't think it's unfair to say that in light of their tragic history providing tools of repression seems like it should be... inconsistent with the country's values?

Read the internationally accepted definition of antisemitism.

Comments like this are most certainly antisemitic and have nothing to do with the issue of spyware:

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2015
I don't see this doing much to fix security. The best thing they could do is fix their problems in their bug bounty program and repair their relationship with security researchers who would rather sell the bugs back to Apple for fixing.
It would be cheaper and more effective. It is really strange. They are going to waste more money on lawsuits than what you suggested.

Reactions: TMax

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010
Drawing comparisons of contemporary Israeli policy to that of the Nazis.

"However, criticism of Israel similar to that leveled against any other country cannot be regarded as antisemitic."

-https://www.state.gov/defining-anti-semitism/

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
"However, criticism of Israel similar to that leveled against any other country cannot be regarded as antisemitic."

-https://www.state.gov/defining-anti-semitism/
That does not include Drawing comparisons of contemporary Israeli policy to that of the Nazis.

The full quote is:

Manifestations might include the targeting of the state of Israel, conceived as a Jewish collectivity. However, criticism of Israel similar to that leveled against any other country cannot be regarded as antisemitic. Antisemitism frequently charges Jews with conspiring to harm humanity, and it is often used to blame Jews for “why things go wrong.” It is expressed in speech, writing, visual forms and action, and employs sinister stereotypes and negative character traits.

Also:
Applying double standards by requiring of it a behavior not expected or demanded of any other democratic nation.

Last edited:

quatermass

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2009
That smells more than a little of antisemitism to me ?

Not all Israelis are Jews. Not all Jews support Israel. It's the de facto stance of the Israeli/Zionist regime to label anyone who dares criticise anything they do as antisemitic. Over many years, they've made criticism of Israel effectively taboo for fear of being labelled as antisemitic, which these days means you're basically a fascist, jew hating holocaust denier.
Israel has more UN resolutions condemning it's actions than any, or indeed all, other countries combined.

Wiki right back atcha: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Nations_resolutions_concerning_Israel

You would think, given their history, which they wheel out at every conceivable occasion, they would know better, but apparently that same history gives them a free pass to behave in any despicable and egregious manner they can think of, and they get away with it while the world looks the other way.

It's not antisemitic to criticise Israel. It's right and proper and should be encouraged and applauded by any person with any sense of morality or ethics.

Support BDS! Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions

chromite

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2013
This thread has been moved to politics and I've seen people fighting when they should not be.

Don't generalise nations of people. Israelis and Palestinians would be at peace if foreign religious fundamentalists in the West and the Middle East were not pushing on them.

If you want to attack someone do it to a fascistic unaccountable oligarch or dictator and the companies who make harmful spyware and weapons.
Israel wouldn’t exist without the west

quatermass

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2009
That does not include Drawing comparisons of contemporary Israeli policy to that of the Nazis.

The full quote is:

Manifestations might include the targeting of the state of Israel, conceived as a Jewish collectivity. However, criticism of Israel similar to that leveled against any other country cannot be regarded as antisemitic. Antisemitism frequently charges Jews with conspiring to harm humanity, and it is often used to blame Jews for “why things go wrong.” It is expressed in speech, writing, visual forms and action, and employs sinister stereotypes and negative character traits.

Also:
Applying double standards by requiring of it a behavior not expected or demanded of any other democratic nation.
You need to talk to these guys: The State of Israel does NOT represent Jews or Judaism

Reactions: Naraxus

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Can you guarantee us users that if apple were to loosen the purse strings, every known exploit would suddenly disappear? (I hear crickets) But good try at faux outrage.

Reactions: Krizoitz

BeefCake 15

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2015
Israelis and Palestinians would be at peace if foreign religious fundamentalists in the West and the Middle East were not pushing on them.

If you want to attack someone do it to a fascistic unaccountable oligarch or dictator and the companies who make harmful spyware and weapons.
Even though you have a naïve world view of that are, I agree with who should be held accountable.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010

The full quote is:

Also:

This is what MrTangent wrote in various posts:

"“Hallelujah. Now we just need to yeet the Mossad, NSA, CIA and the like into the Sun and we’ll be much better for it.”

“Israel is a horrible country that has blood on its hands, forcing Palestinians out of their lands and homes. Call me an antisemite all you want, their government sucks and Israelis have become the fascists they profess to hate.”

“Yawn. Israel sucks, and so does anyone who supports them.”

Nothing anti-semite about what he wrote.

Also comparing Israeli policies to Nazi-Germany policies is ok especially if there are policies which are similar (I'm not aware of any).

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
This is like suing gun manufacturers instead of killers.

I can see how a lazy interpretation of reality could make someone say and think that, however the truth is far more convoluted. The NRA is a lobbying organization that also apparently functions as a money laundering racket, which gets money for each gun and bullet sold, and is STILL bankrupt. They practically own politicians across the spectrum who have pushed 'the solution is more guns' from local all the way to the top.

Think of the 'opioid crisis'. The manufacturers PAID doctors to prescribe mass quantities of them. They LIED about how deadly and addictive their drug was, and LIED to politicians and agencies about what was going on. They BOUGHT cover from any angle the could. It's amazing how well covered they were, and how many billions of dollars they acquired while people were dying. The tobacco companies did largely the same. Don't blame us, we're innocent. They are all industries that turned profits on scaring, addicting, and killing people.

NSO has hacked Apple's IP. There are laws against that kind of thing, especially when the perpetrator brags about it, and their product has been used by so many nations, thugs, and scum bags, to harass and terrorize so many innocent people. Since NSO has done this, and largely gotten away with it, and admits their 'payload' has 'gotten out of control', they deserve to be sued and hopefully stopped. I'm not ready to live in the days of Johnny Mnemonic, where everything has to be sheathed in Black Ice, and hackers run rampant everywhere.

So, no, there isn't much comparison, is there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.