Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
WHAT?? Steve would have never let that oh wait they worked on the G5 together nevermind.

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011
IBM doesn't make a Windows or Android tablet.

You comment makes little sense.
I guess I keep forgetting IBM isn't Lenovo.

I'd be curious if there is actually any iOS integration or if it will just be non-App store pre-loaded apps.

jfx94

macrumors regular
May 22, 2013
where ever I am at.
I see this as a smart move. Both companies will benefit without apple having to stretch itself to focus on a different market. Apple can continue to focus on the best consumer devices.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
If you put aside Job's teenage angst full views of IBM (which were relevant at the time but are no longer), this is a very smart move for Apple. They still have full control over future product development, they've just essentially outsourced the boring back end!

jtmarine73

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2011
In enterprise, IBM is still very relevant.

I wonder if Apple can leverage some of IBM's great technology, like Watson for example, to improve their services.

It's pretty ironic though that at the beginning, IBM was the "enemy."

Like Siri!!!

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
If you put aside Job's teenage angst full views of IBM (which were relevant at the time but are no longer), this is a very smart move for Apple. They still have full control over future product development, they've just essentially outsourced the boring back end!

What do you mean? Even Jobs had already put Jobs' teenage angst views aside. You remember the AIM alliance, right? Apple/IBM/Motorola?

mdridwan47

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2014
"I agree with eddy." :D Damn.. Tim is fast.. Can't wait for september and october events.

Last edited:

ggk

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2007
I work in a 250,000 employee corporation. Believe or not, the main official mobile device here is still BB. However, nobody uses it, and everybody has found a way to use corporate applications on iOS (and now increasingly Android) devices under BYOD policies.

Of course that is with the permission and support of IT department, which is also doing a lot of inarticulate things to keep up with that demand (third party apps, platforms that run under iOS and support company specific AppStores that not always work properly, etc)

If Apple and IBM put order into that chaos and provide a seamless experience under a secure environment, they will win.

Also, remember that IBM is contributing something very important to this partnership: easy access to big corporate CIOs

I like this...

outback1313

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2014
I would like Apple take on a partnership with Microsoft to take on Google and make them irreverent.

Yesterday I started using Bing instead of Google and I like it a lot. And I changed my e-mail from Gmail to Outlook.com. Not as good, but it get's the job done and I don't have to worry about Google having all my info.

Good bye Google!

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
I would like Apple take on a partnership with Microsoft to take on Google and make them irreverent.

Yesterday I started using Bing instead of Google and I like it a lot. And I changed my e-mail from Gmail to Outlook.com. Not as good, but it get's the job done and I don't have to worry about Google having all my info.

Good bye Google!

Except now you have to worry about Microsoft having your info, and to add to it, they're partnered with Facebook. The only reason I'd touch Bing with a 10-foot pole would be for its image search, now that Google's is really slow for some reason.

----------

Last year they did roughly $100 billion in revenue.

100-billion-dollars-276x300(1).jpg

Sorry, I had to.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
IBM is still relevant?

As someone who works for big-scale enterprise customers - you have no idea. They are a huge aircraft of products and services. Not all of them are so great, I must admit, but they are there. In the other corner, you have Oracle.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
While Apple still produces Mac computers, its main products are its mobile devices. IBM sold its personal-computer business to Lenovo Group in 2005, repositioning the company as a software and computer-services provider.

“In ‘84, we were competitors. In 2014, I don’t think you can find two more complementary companies,” said Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook.

Sounds like a good, smart move for both sides. After-hours stock price for each company agrees.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.