Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IIGS User

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2019
Yep, people die every day. Heart disease is the worst offender.

Yep. It almost killed me at 46. I was in congestive heart failure with a congenital heart valve defect that went undetected as nothing more than a heart murmur until my legs were full of water, my other organs were shutting down, and I had to qualify for an organ transplant.

I was too weak for open heart surgery, so they inserted a metal clip about the size of a dime into my heart using a relatively new technique to hold my mitral valve closed when the blood tries to flow backwards into my lungs as my heart pumps. Worked great. My other organ issues resolved after my body was getting proper blood flow and I'm pretty much back to full health. Certainly healthier than I was before hand. The surgery I got is usually reserved for septuagenarians and older, but the FDA had approved the wider use of the surgery the March before I got it in late July of the same year. I'm not running two miles a day like I was in my 30's but I'm full duty at my job, which can be physically challenging. To be honest, bad knees are nixing the running too. The trim turns yellow in your early 40's but that check engine light is relentless as you push 50.

But no one is looking for a "fresh new approach to heart disease and the uplifting stories that have come out of it". Sure, it kills a lot of people. A lot of people survive it, too. But just like 'Rona, it's not penguins and happiness.

Heard disease sucks too, but no one is making a feel good documentary about it. So you made my point for me.

If someone WERE to make a feel good documentary about heart disease, I would probably be a good choice for that. Are there residuals involved? I could use a few extra bucks....

• Love
Reactions: Codpeace

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004

ZeChild

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Glasgow, UK
I don't think the penguins were shopped into the image, if they were there of their own accord fair enough but it was probably that his crew grabbed a few penguins and dropped them on the street for the shot.

He done a documentary about flight and one of the scenes was geese flying right next to a high powered R.I.B. on Loch Lomond, birds funnily enough don't do that by choice, instead his crew hired a couple of local guys weeks in advance to train the geese to do that.

Every naturalist takes liberties when making a documentary, animals just don't do what you want them to do on cue when filmed the way they are.

At the end of the day if every nature documentary filmed animals exactly the way they are it'd be pretty damn boring, you'd get 5 hours of a chimp scratching it's ass!

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
I don't get you. Are you claiming the image is photoshopped? That goes rather against the David Attenborough brand, no?

Are you perhaps unaware that there is a penguin colony on the sand next to Capetown? It is utterly delightful, something every visitor should see!
Yes, I’m claiming that photo is ‘shopped. Those penguins are far too large for real scale. There may be penguins in Capetown, but that pic is fake.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Yes, I’m claiming that photo is ‘shopped. Those penguins are far too large for real scale. There may be penguins in Capetown, but that pic is fake.
I guess this video (and story) is also fake?
(Warning! Unbearable levels of cuteness!)

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014

Codpeace

macrumors regular
May 13, 2011
NYC
Yep. It almost killed me at 46. I was in congestive heart failure with a congenital heart valve defect that went undetected as nothing more than a heart murmur until my legs were full of water, my other organs were shutting down, and I had to qualify for an organ transplant.

I was too weak for open heart surgery, so they inserted a metal clip about the size of a dime into my heart using a relatively new technique to hold my mitral valve closed when the blood tries to flow backwards into my lungs as my heart pumps. Worked great. My other organ issues resolved after my body was getting proper blood flow and I'm pretty much back to full health. Certainly healthier than I was before hand. The surgery I got is usually reserved for septuagenarians and older, but the FDA had approved the wider use of the surgery the March before I got it in late July of the same year. I'm not running two miles a day like I was in my 30's but I'm full duty at my job, which can be physically challenging. To be honest, bad knees are nixing the running too. The trim turns yellow in your early 40's but that check engine light is relentless as you push 50.

But no one is looking for a "fresh new approach to heart disease and the uplifting stories that have come out of it". Sure, it kills a lot of people. A lot of people survive it, too. But just like 'Rona, it's not penguins and happiness.

Heard disease sucks too, but no one is making a feel good documentary about it. So you made my point for me.

If someone WERE to make a feel good documentary about heart disease, I would probably be a good choice for that. Are there residuals involved? I could use a few extra bucks....
Wow, so sorry to hear of your travails. But also, and I’d imagine this goes for many of us: it’s really great to hear you’re on the mend and then some. Best of luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.