Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
I’m not dismissing the fact that interracial marriage was voted against. I’m just trying to help you understand that if something was voted against solely because of another consequence of the bill, then it’s not fair to say that the bill was voted against because of interracial marriage.

Let’s say (entirely hypothetically) that you were a senator who voted against the bill solely because of the interracial marriage portion, but you are in full support of same-sex marriage. Would you think it was fair for me to say you voted against same-sex marriage? You were in full support of same-sex marriage, but you voted against the bill because of the other half. If I completely disregard that half when talking about your vote, I’m being unfair and not telling the whole story.

thingstoponder

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2014
Perhaps your problem is that you immediately view everything through a partisan lens. Has it occurred to you that this might be just a well-researched and well-presented podcast? I haven't listened to this season yet, but the ones about Watergate, the origins of the Iraq war and the LA riots were excellent.
People like that don’t want to be informed and maybe made uncomfortable when their views are challenged. They want to be mad and outraged. Just look at their “news” sources… not much news.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
It’s not a comparison, it’s an evaluation of the consequences of using language in a certain way. To make the point clear, one can go to the extremis, similar to the reductio ad absurdum reasoning.

You can do the same for more tame issues: “a bill to increase sale taxes by 1% and increase school funding by $1,000,000.”

I might be in favor of increasing school funding but be totally against the 1% increase in sale taxes. By saying only that I voted against school funding you’re leaving out the boring, yet important part that there’s a 1% sale tax increase which has immediate and wide consequences on spending and poor families, for example, making it sound like I want kids to not have adequate schooling.

Last edited:

steevn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2016
I’m not dismissing the fact that interracial marriage was voted against. I’m just trying to help you understand that if something was voted against solely because of another consequence of the bill, then it’s not fair to say that the bill was voted against because of interracial marriage.

Let’s say (entirely hypothetically) that you were a senator who voted against the bill solely because of the interracial marriage portion, but you are in full support of same-sex marriage. Would you think it was fair for me to say you voted against same-sex marriage? You were in full support of same-sex marriage, but you voted against the bill because of the other half. If I completely disregard that half when talking about your vote, I’m being unfair and not telling the whole story.
That’s the bill, they voted against it, there’s no other way around it.

Yes, it would be fair to say someone voted against same sex marriage in your hypothetical situation because they literally voted against it. It really is that simple, especially for this topic.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr. Awesome

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
All of the above doesn’t affect my observation about you leaving out a vital piece. As a matter of fact NPR refers to gay marriage and not interracial marriage in their title.

Nothing in constitutional law is as simple as "bad guys vote no because they are vile, bad, racist and bigoted."

There are other technical reasons, but a lot of people are too stupid or shallow to understand.

Complex757

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2016
Apple is going in the wrong direction, im sorry but how anyone can support ending a child’s life is beyond me. They won because of the politics that’s it

but being for the death penalty is acceptable?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I never heard of the "Roe v. Wade" podcast. Is it unbiased toward both sides of the debate or is it biased toward one side?
"The four-part miniseries was released throughout June and is being awarded for "outstanding quality, innovation, and impact."

It's only four episodes, listen to it and decide for yourself. Or do you want random people on the internet, whose motivations are unknown, to tell you what to watch/listen to?

Last edited:

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It doesn't take much clicking to see that many, many other podcasts have had more listeners, were shared more frequently, and have made more of a buzz in the world.
Does that mean you think that McDonalds should get the best burger award because they are more well know, and sell more hamburgers than much better chains and restaurants?

Reactions: Complex757

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
Refreshing to find someone have the same thought on both things. Without stating my opinion on either, it always was weird to me that people can be in favor of one and against the other.
I don't know how "refreshing" it is. Maybe try asking people instead of just assuming. A lot of right of center people believe this. Given them a chance. It's just amazing how people can just absolutely assume the worst of people because of who they voted for. Very sad.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
I don't know how "refreshing" it is. Maybe try asking people instead of just assuming. A lot of right of center people believe this. Given them a chance. It's just amazing how people can just absolutely assume the worst of people because of who they voted for. Very sad.
I never said I assumed it, you just assumed that I did though.

I meant people that I've spoken to who told me their thoughts on both.

Next time before you get preachy and on your soap box, stop to think for a second

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Refreshing to find someone have the same thought on both things. Without stating my opinion on either, it always was weird to me that people can be in favor of one and against the other.
Without stating my opinion on either thing, death penalty of a person is murder, but abortion isn't murder until the clump of cells is a person.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
"Without stating my opinion, here's my opinion"
Really? You cant murder something that isn't defined as a person so abortion isn't murder until a clump of cells is defined as a person. Thats how you can have a different opinion on the death penalty and abortion during different trimesters.

Stating my opinion would be saying whether I think the death penalty and abortion is right or wrong.

Reactions: ericwn

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Does that include when the heart of that lump of cells is beating? Because a fetus does have a heart that beats you know. Ever seen one? They have heads and little limbs also.
Sorry dude, go fish with someone else.

Screenshot 2022-11-29 at 3.38.38 PM.png

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
Sorry dude, go fish with someone else.

View attachment 2120753
Super responsive argument. A fetus has a heart, head and little limbs. It's a living thing. It eats from its mother's system and even produces waste. You might not like that and you might want to pass it off as a "lump of cells," but we all know that is not accurate. It's SCIENCE. Lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.