Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this week began asking all of its employees in the United States to provide details on their vaccination status, reports Bloomberg.

apple-park-416-security.jpg

Employees have been asked to voluntarily share whether they have been vaccinated by mid-September, and this applies to both employees working in an office and those working remotely. In a memo, Apple said that its focus is keeping "team members, their friends and families, and our entire community healthy," but also mentioned creating a safe work environment.
"It is possible your vaccination status may be used in an identifiable manner, along with other information about your general work environment such as your building location, if we determine or, if it is required that, this information is necessary in order to ensure a healthy and safe work environment."
Apple plans to use the responses to inform COVID-19 response efforts and protocols, and according to Bloomberg, the company had already asked for data from employees in California, Washington, and New Jersey in order to comply with local regulations. Vaccine data is being kept confidential with information aggregated and not shared with managers, but that could change in the future.

Tech companies like Google and Facebook have mandated vaccines for their employees, but Apple has not done so. Last week, after the Pfizer vaccine received FDA approval, Apple began pushing its employees to get vaccinated.

Apple has launched an internal web page to encourage vaccines, in addition to sending out memos and holding internal talks as part of a vaccination campaign. Apple is offering vouchers to get employees vaccinated through Walgreens, and it is offering on-site vaccinations in the San Francisco Bay Area and Austin. Paid time off is available for vaccine appointments, as is paid sick leave for those who experience side effects.

These requests come as Apple is trying to determine when employees will be able to return to in-person work. Apple originally planned to have employees come into the office three days a week starting in September, but due to the delta variant, that has been pushed back until at least January 2022.

Article Link: Apple Asks All U.S. Employees to Share Vaccination Status, Still No Mandate

iLoveDeveloping

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2009
Ireland
If you haven't gotten a vaccination shot at this point, you should be fired from your job. The overhead of having to deal with unvaccinated workers is just too high for a business to operate.
Absolutely, or at the least be forced to work from home. If you have no interest in protecting yourself and others then enjoy working in your house from now on because I don’t want people like that near me at work.

Labeno

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
If you haven't gotten a vaccination shot at this point, you should be fired from your job. The overhead of having to deal with unvaccinated workers is just too high for a business to operate.
I believe in the vaccine too, but just for comparison... what's the death rate of Covid compared to getting in or being around a vehicle. Once you find out, you'll realized we should also ban all forms of motorized transportation.

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2003
PA
Can't blame them. The company I work for is doing the same. Not required yet, but we are asked to sign an attestation stating we are vaccinated if we want to come back to the office. Currently on the honor system. Basically, you will be accommodated for now if you are not vaxed, but can't come back to the office.

macrumorsuser10

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2010
I believe in the vaccine too, but just for comparison... what's the death rate of Covid compared to getting in or being around a vehicle. Once you find out, you'll realized we should also ban all forms of motorized transportation.

We have traffic laws that you have to obey to keep other people safe. If you don't obey traffic laws, you can have your license taken away, which is equivalent to being fired from being able to drive.

Derekuda

Suspended
Oct 2, 2004
Should we also fire everyone who smokes cigarettes because second hand smoke has been proven to be worse for nearby people, not to mention raising insurance rates for these poor multibillion dollar companies. Perhaps every woman should also share their pap-smear status annually so those insurance rates don't affect everyone (including mens rates even though it doesn't apply to them).
How about you move to china so they can tell you how to live your life and you let americans be americans with their freedoms of choice.

McKodiak

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
Except motorized transportation provides significantly more of a benefit to humanity than the virus does. Pick a better comparison.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003

135 motor vehicle deaths per year on average in Santa Clara county.
1700 Covid deaths in Santa Clara county in a year and a half.

It's not hard to find information and get clarity on stuff like this.

Last edited:

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
Absolutely, or at the least be forced to work from home. If you have no interest in protecting yourself and others then enjoy working in your house from now on because I don’t want people like that near me at work.
If I'm forced to work from home I gladly identify as unvaccinated you can take some extra pay etc for whatever too.

McKodiak

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
Should we also fire everyone who smokes cigarettes because second hand smoke has been proven to be worse for nearby people, not to mention raising insurance rates for these poor multibillion dollar companies. Perhaps every woman should also share their pap-smear status annually so those insurance rates don't affect everyone (including mens rates even though it doesn't apply to them).
How about you move to china so they can tell you how to live your life and you let americans be americans with their freedoms of choice.
The majority of second hand smoke has been mitigated. You are no longer allowed to smoke in most public places inside or outside. We can ban people smoking but we can't ban people breathing, so we have to ban their admittance to ensure they don't spread their virus

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006

Companies can make their own safety protocols for the benefit of their employees and customers, and that’s all that’s happening here. I would be more inclined to go to a store knowing that all the employees are vaccinated, and even moreso the customers.

Nothing you described is remotely comparable to the COVID crisis. It’s amazing how you can make the most asinine assertions with utmost confidence.

guerro

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Parts Unknown
Wow, so you know everyone's personal medical history/status? If Apple can afford all the other myriad people working for them, they can afford a small number of unvaccinated people with prohibitive medical conditions. And nobody should have to "share" his/her medical records.

*** This post has been modified from its original form***

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.