Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Apple still calls it a serial number:

1620234731715.png

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Waiting for the decryption website. Apple will be first when you look up your warranty status. ;)

Reactions: 5105973

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Probably will prevent some returns by the “serial” returners who return because of where they were assembled because they saw that some have a yellow screen from a certain factory. Those poor OC people will be having meltdowns now because they will not know where their phones are assembled. This fall will be fun watching them bounce off the walls.

Reactions: 5105973

urbanmacUser

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
Is there still a number on the box?
If not going to be a pain for asset management in Enterprise environments.

Reactions: bernuli

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
So it's not a serial number, then.

Serial means in series. Randomizing a number by definition means it cannot be in series, so it's not a serial number.

Amazing. Someone actually didn't like logic. :D

My only problem with this is that if the Serial Number no longer tells you anything about the product, what good is it?

It appears as if Apple wants to hold all the secrets so they can deny warranty service leaving you with no proof via Serial number of the product information. So no, I don't like this.

Reactions: bernuli

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
is there a particular reason for this transition? as in, if apple didnt want people to discern that info off a s/n, what is the need to obscure it?

Perhaps Apple wanted to make it more difficult to identify devices that have software or hardware gaps. Back in the iPhone 3G and 1st Gen, certain week number (and before) iPhones could be completely owned from the hardware level.

This meant people actively looked for these devices. I assume certain bugs are also present now a days and Apple wants to obscure this. Also, wants to keep tighter secrecy into their reasoning.

@jav6454, I recall a few people asking for the specific s/n of an iPhone to get a specific chipset or modem that performed better than others carrying competitor (intel and something else on iPhone X & XS I believe).

I’m guessing this could help with hardware ID in terms of apps requesting it or unique identification for an end user may no longer be done related to a device? Is an added benefit to help prevent external box computational un-authorized (by apple or end user) of an iPhone?

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
is there a particular reason for this transition? as in, if apple didnt want people to discern that info off a s/n, what is the need to obscure it?
The same reason people send coded messages--to keep a secret a secret. It doesn't make sense for random serial numbers unless you want to prevent observant rumor sniffers to learn what's in the pipeline by product code/serial number. Once you understand Apple's desire for secrecy, randomized serial numbers makes perfect sense.

They'll need a a server and several backups dedicated just to keeping track of what serial number belongs to which product.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
I wonder what the implications were of having identifiable SN's prior to now.

outside of identifying the OS version loaded on it from build date, I think it was a total goose chase all along.
If you have to do a visual sort of stock without a scanner you need serialed numbers.

I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that apple products have an RF like chip that only responds to an Apple scanner.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
The same reason people send coded messages--to keep a secret a secret. It doesn't make sense for random serial numbers unless you want to prevent observant rumor sniffers to learn what's in the pipeline by product code/serial number. Once you understand Apple's desire for secrecy, randomized serial numbers makes perfect sense.

They'll need a a server and several backups dedicated just to keeping track of what serial number belongs to which product.

i think the rando numbers prevent external analysts from trying to do supply chain analysis.

Reactions: TomAllen

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Perhaps Apple wanted to make it more difficult to identify devices that have software or hardware gaps. Back in the iPhone 3G and 1st Gen, certain week number (and before) iPhones could be completely owned from the hardware level.

This meant people actively looked for these devices. I assume certain bugs are also present now a days and Apple wants to obscure this. Also, wants to keep tighter secrecy into their reasoning.

Wasn't there a way of using the serial number in the past to figure out which wireless modem was in your iPhone? I feel like I read a story about this on MacRumors years ago.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009

I think this is the motivation.
There are Apple services that use serial number to validate the warranty or validate which devices are attached to iCloud accounts. I might recall some social attack like that where hackers could spam Apple's support APIs for serial numbers and then get to owner information or iCloud information.

By making the "serial numbers" non-sequential it means such "brute force" attacks won't open up that information to just anybody. I'd guess they have a hash built-in to immediately identify numbers that can't exist to stop people just spamming sequences on the support servers...

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I think this is the motivation.
There are Apple services that use serial number to validate the warranty or validate which devices are attached to iCloud accounts. I might recall some social attack like that where hackers could spam Apple's support APIs for serial numbers and then get to owner information or iCloud information.

By making the "serial numbers" non-sequential it means such "brute force" attacks won't open up that information to just anybody. I'd guess they have a hash built-in to immediately identify numbers that can't exist to stop people just spamming sequences on the support servers...

That literally hasn't happened since iPhone 3G though.

And I'm not sure how much the average person cared about finding the old hw bootrom vs. revised in that case.

The cost involved to revise hardware on A7-A11 devices to fix checkra1n bootrom exploits would be prohibitive so they let it ride. And still niche compared to overall user base.

in terms of panel lottery, people swore up and down that a few months after launch the yield on perfect (perceived) displays would be much better. But it's may and still an absolute crapshoot

freedomlinux

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
CT, USA
I feel this will be problematic for sites like EveryMac, where you can search for the product specifications based on serial number.

Now, no one but Apple will have the mapping for what serial number is what product.

neomorpheus

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2014
Whatever the real reason is, I can guarantee that it works on their favor, not ours.

I wonder if somehow it will create some weird false results for us when we have to inevitable get help for some hardware issue.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014

Yes, if the reason behind this is obscurity (probably is), it would be strange for Apple to be transparent about it ?

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
So it's not a serial number, then.

Serial means in series. Randomizing a number by definition means it cannot be in series, so it's not a serial number.
While I agree with you that these new identification numbers are not strictly serial numbers, the meaning of words changes all the time.

Decimate originally means to reduce by 1/10th. If I decimate a box of terrific cookies, I guarantee that more than 10% are missing.
Terrific originally means something that inspires terror rather than something fantastic or awesome.
Awesome originally means...you get the point.

Serial number is now synonymous with identification number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.