Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I feel this will be problematic for sites like EveryMac, where you can search for the product specifications based on serial number.

Now, no one but Apple will have the mapping for what serial number is what product.
I would assume that Apple makes that available through some API. With either bogus information for non-existing numbers, or throttling if you look mostly for non-existing numbers. I think the main purpose is that people can’t guess serial numbers of real devices.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
How do they ensure that that the random number comes up twice on 2 of the same product?

I don't understand the question. Every serial number would be unique, as always. You wouldn't want the same randomized serial number on two of the same product.

Last edited:

bookofxero

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2017
I get that some people abused the serial number system to get specific screen panels or the like, but there were also some really good things to come out of being able to identify the manufacture week.
For example, having worked BOH at the Cube a decade ago, it was handy for ensuring the "oldest" phones were fronted. This meant they went out first, reducing the potential false impression of a phone being DOA at activation.

bookofxero

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2017
I get that some people abused the serial number system to get specific screen panels or the like, but there were also some really good things to come out of being able to identify the manufacture week.
For example, having worked BOH at the Cube a decade ago, it was handy for ensuring the "oldest" phones were fronted. This meant they went out first, reducing the potential false impression of a phone being DOA at activation.
Also, the "4 before the last 4" trick was a handy quick validator.

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
I have a 12 Mini coming in today, will check it out. Also FedEx > UPS when it comes to Apple delivery (as well as most other shipping things.)

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
I don't understand the question. Every serial number would be unique, as always. You wouldn't want the same randomized serial number on two of the same product.

Sorry i typed that wrong, I meant how they make sure no 2 random numbers come out matching each other. I know the chances are slim but it still could happen. Ex. if you randomly pick a number between 1-100 there is a chance 57 would come out more than one time , 1/100 chance in fact.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Prevent fraud by repair shops that charge Apple for non-existing warranty repairs. Since they have no device, they need to make up a seriel number for an existing device. That’s now a lot harder.

I am sure someone will build up a database of legit iPhone serial numbers then someone can just pick 1 and contact Apple asking for a repair.

Plus, this is a little bit too late, they have been making iphones for 14 years now, they just thought of this?

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Sorry i typed that wrong, I meant how they make sure no 2 random numbers come out matching each other. I know the chances are slim but it still could happen. Ex. if you randomly pick a number between 1-100 there is a chance 57 would come out more than one time , 1/100 chance in fact.

I'm sure whatever software they're using to generate these numbers has a rule that doesn't let it match any other number in the database. It's not like they're just willy-nilly assigning random serial numbers with no record of the ones they've already assigned.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I thought that the m1 macbook airs still used it?

No, they don't. Below is an example a current M1 MBA serial I found on eBay. It's completely randomized.

Old M1 MBA serials from 2021 and prior would start with a predictable FVF indicating site of assembly.

s-l1600.jpg

wellander1

Contributor
Apr 30, 2019
Chandler az
I have a m1 mac mini introduced at the same time as the m1 Macbook pros 13 inch and the mi MacBooks 13 inch that have the old serial number format.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I have a m1 mac mini introduced at the same time as the m1 Macbook pros 13 inch and the mi MacBooks 13 inch that have the old serial number format.

That's expected. But anything shipping today, including M1 products, use the randomized format.

It makes sense because randomized serials are to protect Apple from fraud. These things also have a long tail end. Walmart has a special deal to continue selling M1 and Apple is obviously still making them. Prepaid carriers like Boost Mobile are selling brand new iPhone 11 still. These are not old stock and Apple is still making them for some carriers and developing markets.

wellander1

Contributor
Apr 30, 2019
Chandler az
Here is a comparison of my apple items that I have
Iphone 14 (x2) new format
iPad 9 new format
ipod touch 7th old format (bought right before they got discontinued)
Mac mini 2014 old format of course
Mac mini 2018 (x2) old format of course
and Mac mini 2020 (m1) old format
and some accessories (cables, adapters, e.t.c) all in the old format.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.