Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that apple products have an RF like chip that only responds to an Apple scanner.

If such a chip existed, it would have been identified a long time ago along with the antenna.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Wasn't there a way of using the serial number in the past to figure out which wireless modem was in your iPhone? I feel like I read a story about this on MacRumors years ago.

The model number told you which modem was in your iPhone. But that was when Apple used Intel and Qualcomm in the same product in different regions.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
More examples of the purple iPhone 12/mini, right from the Apple Store.

1620239099725.png
1620239111145.png

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
When Apple does mid-cycle releases like this it’s usually a test in some way.

Example: Product (RED) iPhone 8 Plus. The following generation Apple released iPhone XR in multiple colors, so it seemed to be a manufacturing test.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
There goes the great Apple customer service we used to know and love. Now all you are is a random serial to Apple. What happened to our love? I thought we had something special serial handpicked just for my eyes.

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
I added the purple iPhone 12 to my collection over the weekend. Random 10-digit serial number indeed.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
When Apple does mid-cycle releases like this it’s usually a test in some way.

Example: Product (RED) iPhone 8 Plus. The following generation Apple released iPhone XR in multiple colors, so it seemed to be a manufacturing test.

When iPhone 7 was made available in RED in March 2017, neither the iPhone 8 or X got new colors.

New colors are simply an easy way to boost sales mid-cycle.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
When iPhone 7 was made available in RED in March 2017, neither the iPhone 8 or X got new colors.

New colors are simply an easy way to boost sales mid-cycle.
That may be true and a good point, but iPhone 7 had a different design with its aluminum back. For all we know they were testing the merits of colored aluminum vs glass at that point.

DrV

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Northern Europe
The new serial numbers aren't truly random. They're generated using a complex pseudo-random deterministic function, for which the input is a series.
Is this specified somewhere? It is possible, but equally possible is that the numbers are true random numbers.

In general, computers don't produce true randomness, they try to approximate it, so this is true in many cases outside of Apple.
Deterministic algorithms do not produce true randomness, that is true. However, computers may collect entropy from the outside world. For example, it is possible to time keyboard clicks or network packets, i.e. external phenomena. There are a lot of useful counters and timers which can be used here. In practice, all modern computers (and many small microcontrollers) have hardware random number generation capability, as well. The actual way of doing this varies, but it may be shot noise in a semiconductor junction or a group of asynchronous ring oscillators. The result is truly random in the sense of being non-deterministic to the quantum level (i.e. no Laplacian determinism).

(True randomness in this sense does not guarantee 1 bit of entropy per 1 bit produced by the random number generator, but the result is relatively close in practice.)

So, instead of being a conventional series like 1, 2, 3, 4..., it's a series of functions like f(1), f(2), f(3), f(4)..., which I think is still fair to call a series.

Edit: I saw someone refer to it as "still a serial number, but encrypted". This is kind of what they're doing indeed. True randomness on the other hand would not be decryptable. I am not sure if the current format is actually encrypted though (implying the function is bijective), or if it just outputs a hash.
Hashes are vulnerable to birthday problems. If the code is 10 symbols long, each symbol has 32 states, and 100 000 000 such codes are produced, the collision probability (there are two same hashes) is around 98.8 %... With codes this short it is not a question of if but when. Hashes need to be long in order to be unique with good probability.

So, if there is a relation between the unique identifier ("new style serial number") and the more human-readable serial number, it has to be a 1:1 relation, i.e. symmetric encryption.

However, I do not really see why Apple would've done it that way. I have actually created a couple of serial numbering/identifying schemes for different HW identification uses, and using random or pseudorandom unique identifiers works well. It just requires a database connection whenever you need to use the serial number for something. It can be seen as a one-time-pad encryption which is unbreakable.

Reactions: citysnaps

DrV

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Northern Europe
Not sure of the motive here but in WWII, Allied mathematicians figured out how to infer production rates from S/N info, known as the German Tank Problem
That might be at least one of the motivations. The same approach was used to follow Tesla's Model 3 production, as the standard requires VINs (Vehicle Identification Number) to have a sequential part.

I would be interested in knowing what information Apple needs to tell consumers, i.e. will there be a serial number checking service giving manufacturing weeks, locations, etc. (There won't be unless it is absolutely compulsory.)

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
I like this moved by Apple. Not sure what it's supposed to accomplish, but I like it. It adds to the mysteriousness of the brand

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
The serial number has information about the plant, date, and so on that the device was manufactured on.

Why exactly they want to hide this from the public I'm not so sure...
An obscure reason to keep the date of manufacturing secret would be to avoid devices which haven’t been sold for several months from possibly being returned because the battery has already aged several months. I can’t think of any possible reason to keep the place/factory where the device was manufactured secret.

gene731

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2015
O boy. Purple.
Samsung has a hidden under glass camera! that is BIG news.

So? Go buy samsung if that will make you happy. By the way, your comment added ZERO to this story. In case you missed it, it is about serial numbers. Not colors. Not samsung.
Edit: I will give you the color thing since these serials are starting with the purple iPhone.

brofkand

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2006
This is super frustrating, only because I have to print labels on a label maker whenever I distribute new laptops at my job. When you have 100 at a time, it's much easier to change three characters out of 12 than all 10.

Get a $20 barcode scanner from Amazon

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
How do they ensure that that the random number does not comes up twice on 2 of the same product models?

I'm guessing it technically IS a serial number, just "encrypted."

Ackchyually...

The new serial numbers aren't truly random. They're generated using a complex pseudo-random deterministic function, for which the input is a series.

In general, computers don't produce true randomness, they try to approximate it, so this is true in many cases outside of Apple.

So, instead of being a conventional series like 1, 2, 3, 4..., it's a series of functions like f(1), f(2), f(3), f(4)..., which I think is still fair to call a series.

Edit: I saw someone refer to it as "still a serial number, but encrypted". This is kind of what they're doing indeed. True randomness on the other hand would not be decryptable. I am not sure if the current format is actually encrypted though (implying the function is bijective), or if it just outputs a hash.

ok , but why? SO what if the competitor knew this product was number 12345 ?

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
is there a particular reason for this transition? as in, if apple didnt want people to discern that info off a s/n, what is the need to obscure it?
Prevent fraud by repair shops that charge Apple for non-existing warranty repairs. Since they have no device, they need to make up a seriel number for an existing device. That’s now a lot harder.

Reactions: Dbolander
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.