Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Boxes are not really classified to me as collectables (the only exception if your moving out)

I usually keep Apple boxes for a few years, but recently found they just take up too much space...

However, we all get in that situation where you want space, then sometime down the track (you NEED a box)

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
I would never throw away a box from an Apple product, and tend to treat them almost as well as the computers/accessories themselves. In fact I have a garden shed - initially purchased for garden tools etc, but most of the large space has been taken up with original boxes & packing from Apple iMac G4's (they're large!), iBooks/PowerBooks/MacBooks/MBPros etc. Fortunately the 'little-lady' never goes in the shed, only I have the key......;)
If adding a new item to my collection, I always try to find one with the original box. I guess it could assist with a future sale, but like a closely-knit family I don't relish the thought of eventually parting with any of my 'siblings'.
It's unusual but I have occasionally bought an empty box for completeness, whether for a laptop or iPhone etc, but I'd only pay 'peanuts', as any spare box would have a serial number which didn't correlate to the item I hold.
Indeed some original boxes can be 'cherished' items in themselves. In particular I treasure the original box, accessories & packing of my Pismo and especially my clamshell iBook. And the contents of course!;)
Now, who can offer me a near-mint, boxed example of an early iPod classic.......?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.