Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Botts85

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2007
What does "creating ties" entail? Campaign contributions?
Realistically, on Apple's part? Never. Apple donates almost nothing corporately. And Apple employee donations are like 20:1 Democrat to Republican.

This will be about explaining Apple's positions to legislators, but more critically a legislator's staff. It will likely include information around the number of employees that exist due to Apple in the legislator's district as well as the economic activity generated.

NASA does this very well, and very publicly in websites like this: https://www.nasa.gov/specials/ESDSuppliersMap/index.html

Creating ties is likely just what it says. Providing a link from legislative staffers to Apple lobbyists to call upon when staffers have questions if their boss is being asked to sponsor a bill like H.R. 3816 or S.2992. I picked those two because they are the focus of Apple's current lobbying efforts.

When we look at lobbying disclosures, it is important to note that the numbers listed are not handouts to politicians. Lobbying expenses are not dollars provided to candidates or their campaigns. Lobbyists cannot pay for politicians to travel, buy them meals, or provide them gifts of any kind. Lobbying expenses include the salaries of staff or contractors engaged in lobbying, as well as the expenses incurred from lobbying activities such as legal opinions and legal advice, travel, printing, vehicle costs, hotels, professional services, etc.

Don't fool yourself into thinking gigantic corporations like Apple only donate what is stipulated. They have ways to circumvent these restrictions. Remember, the system is corrupt by design.
Prove it. The lobbying laws are quite clear, and contributions are readily disclosed and tracked.

People can and do go to jail for violations. The FBI, U.S. DOJ, IRS, and when donation related, FEC enforcement do significant work enforcing donation and lobbying law.

Last edited:

BuffyzDead

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
If someone breaks the rules, sure, ban them.
At the current rate, under Musks' leadership, Twitter will easily meet this criteria, IF they have not already hit it. Time will tell.

id leave. I’m stubborn that way.
You will NOT be missed. ...not meant to dis you. ...Just stating an Obvious Fact, and you know it's a Fact.

the mob hates this and is attempting to shut down freedom of speech
Even if Twitter went completely out of business, because they went out of business by their own doing or competitive pressures. or because any/all advertisers Refused to give them one more nickel, ...so like if Twitter literally shut down 100%,

Free Speech in The United Sates is NOT shut down at all, in any way, shape, or interpretation, whatsoever !!

....not by a single iota

Last edited:

jchap

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Saying this is just part of your woke, cancel culture. Criticizing when Tim meets with a party that represents racist policies should not be limited. Freedom of speech is important.
I'm not limiting your free speech. My posts have been edited by a moderator on this forum before. Ultimately, the moderator is the one who decides what goes and what stays on this forum. I would just ask that people use respect and not use blanket terms to denigrate others. The post referred to seemed to cross the line, which is why I expressed my assent to the person who pointed it out. That is my own right to free speech, to disagree, isn't it?

Just curious, but what is "your woke, cancel culture"? I didn't really get what you meant by that.

ddavid

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
At the current rate, under Musks' leadership, Twitter will easily meet this criteria, IF they have not already hit it. Time will tell.

You will NOT be missed. ...not meant to dis you. ...Just stating an Obvious Fact, and you know it's a Fact.

Even if Twitter went completely out of business, because they went out of business by their own doing or competitive pressures. or because any/all advertisers Refused to give them one more nickel, ...so like if Twitter literally shut down 100%,

Free Speech in The United Sates is NOT shut down at all, in any way, shape, or interpretation, whatsoever !!

....not by a single iota
This is not about me thinking I’d be missed, I’m sure I won’t, however over the years I’ve personally spent well into six figures on Apple products, and directly purchased millions professionally.

This is also not about Twitter as a company. It’s about principle. I will not support a company that works against free speech and open exchange of ideas. I don’t think Apple would do that, so hopefully this discussion is all a waste of bandwidth.

Twitter May fail, but if they do it should be on their own terms, and not with a thumb on the scales. I’ve actually been on Twitter more than usual lately, and I’m not seeing an increase in right wing rhetoric. What I am seeing are a lot of furious leftists being extra bitchy and loathsome at the “idea” that people they hate might keep/regain their account. Some are even going too far and getting time outs due to actual abuse and threats.

I got suspended from Facebook a few years ago for 30 days for calling someone a dummy. That it. It was stupid. I said in response to the NY knockout game that “the people who killed a guy should spend life in prison” and someone replied “so, you’re ok with cops shooting someone for no reason” to which I replied “no dummy, murder is murder” That was it. One or more people reported me and i was suspended without review or recourse. It was so blatantly stupid and one sided that it was funny. But, the mob had screamed loudly to a sympathetic ear…

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
Because Apple doesn't exist to "enrich lives" or innovate. They exist to make money. Obscene amounts of money. And that requires colluding with lawmakers to rig the system in their favor.
This is a solemn reminder we must remember. Apple's focus first and foremost isn't to make the best iPhones, or to ensure our privacy is protected. It's to make money, and make money for their shareholders.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Meet Republican leaders about what? This isn’t a meeting/discussion, this is a shakedown and how much Tim Apple is willing to pay to make his troubles go away.

T Coma

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2015
Flyover Country, USA
Another timely Bee article today.

446703F4-3781-4498-BBC7-52609BE30B8C.jpeg

Botts85

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2007
Interesting to see Tim take the main role in these discussions.
Tim’s presence signals Apple’s level of concern.

His presence also likely opens doors to meetings that other individuals might not be able too.

Apple contracts some exceptional lobbyists, like Seth Bloom, but having Tim Cook present in person is a critical signal.

SoldOnApple

macrumors 65816
Jul 20, 2011
I wish Tim would get a better haircut. I guess when you're at the top of your game and your company is more valuable and influential than ever it doesn't matter what you look like, but still he could look a lot cooler with a hipper haircut.

haplain

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
I hope Greg “Joz” Joswiak - (Senior Vice President Worldwide Marketing) is going with him.

Tim Cook seems to love the government and politics. Why can't he just focus on Apple solely and enrich lives? I just don't see innovation and politics going together. It always becomes a burden.

1000% agree. I totally understand companies Apple size are always going to kiss babies and shake hands but focus on what you do best, create consumer products (without getting into that whole Tim/Steve argument). I also find it rather entertaining with some of the flip-flopping that occurs with the do as I say, not as I do, type attitude at times.

racerhomie

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2015
India
I think, it will be about not curating the App Store offering based on policies not compatible with the First Amendment (to the United States of America constitution, for all you foreigners). However, Jim Jordan, specifically, has been known to be not nearly as critical of Big Tech censorship as you would expect him, as a Republican.

Of course, forcing Apple to allow the installation of any app even from outside of the App Store would allow the likes of Parler, Gab or Alex Jones apps back on peoples’ devices. Apple wouldn’t be able to do anything about it. If faced with either having to allow outside apps or letting Alex Jones back on the App Store, I don’t know, where Apple would come down. I have a feeling that, unlike with Twitter, the obvious business interests would prevail, and Apple would choose the latter option.
People can do that with the open web on Safari

TheMacDaddy1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2016
Merica!
This is not about me thinking I’d be missed, I’m sure I won’t, however over the years I’ve personally spent well into six figures on Apple products, and directly purchased millions professionally.

This is also not about Twitter as a company. It’s about principle. I will not support a company that works against free speech and open exchange of ideas. I don’t think Apple would do that, so hopefully this discussion is all a waste of bandwidth.

Twitter May fail, but if they do it should be on their own terms, and not with a thumb on the scales. I’ve actually been on Twitter more than usual lately, and I’m not seeing an increase in right wing rhetoric. What I am seeing are a lot of furious leftists being extra bitchy and loathsome at the “idea” that people they hate might keep/regain their account. Some are even going too far and getting time outs due to actual abuse and threats.

I got suspended from Facebook a few years ago for 30 days for calling someone a dummy. That it. It was stupid. I said in response to the NY knockout game that “the people who killed a guy should spend life in prison” and someone replied “so, you’re ok with cops shooting someone for no reason” to which I replied “no dummy, murder is murder” That was it. One or more people reported me and i was suspended without review or recourse. It was so blatantly stupid and one sided that it was funny. But, the mob had screamed loudly to a sympathetic ear…
"What I am seeing are a lot of furious leftists being extra bitchy and loathsome"

Yeah, like foaming at the mouth bitchy. I especially like it when they leave and come back two days later...CBS news.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.