Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bumpylumpy

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2015
I guess people don't realize Apple's largest partner in Vietnam is Luxshare-ICT. Guess who owns Luxshare? Can you guess which new company is assembling iPhone 14 in addition to Foxconn?

Non-business people think moving out of China is possible, but what's actually happening is China is moving up the value ladder with Luxshare, BOE, and CATL.
So soon - "Designed in China, manufactured in Vietnam"?

• Sad
Reactions: redfirebird08

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
So soon - "Designed in China, manufactured in Vietnam"?

Already happening.

Reactions: Agit21

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
That's the way to do it, out of China and into Vietnam and other friendly to us Asian countries

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
hey Timmy how about a country in the United States like Texas
Doesn’t Texas have like….one of the highest unemployment rates where unwilling people don’t want to work in that state? Seems like that would be a unlikely probability of that happening.

Last edited:
Reactions: iGeneo

IamTimCook

Suspended
Dec 13, 2016
Doesn’t Texas have like….one of the highest unemployment rates where unwilling people don’t want to work in that state? Seems like that wouldn’t be a unlikely probability of that happening.
Lower than:
Alaska
California
Connecticut
Delaware
D.C.
Illinois
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Nevada
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
Pennsylvania

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
What is it with communist and former communist countries? Please say no to manufacturing in Vietnam! I had a bike trainer that was made and engineered in Vietnam. Earlier units where you scuffed your feet before touching it would blow the motherboard because they didn't put enough caps on the dang thing.

Quality engineering there. Yeppers... Spared no expense, the didn't. Then they had to replace units that died, and I'm sure hoped other units didn't die of the same issue. DOH! And the assembly! YIKES!!! They over greased the heck out of so much of it. People were complaining about final assembled parts slipping while riding. Well, DUH! They put so damn much grease on them! I swabbed it all out of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th replacement I got.

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
Companies have been moving to Vietnam because China is expensive now. Plus their politics means that any executive can get grabbed and detained at any time if the CPP wants it.

This is a clear signal to all those people who are all “apple can’t move manufacturing to the us because skills.“ The US is more skilled than Vietnam for sure. Apple need cheap assemblers, not high-skill workers.

It’s good for Vietnam. It’s a great country with good people. Most consider the communists a mistake, but whatever. Now they all just want to get rich.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I guess people don't realize Apple's largest partner in Vietnam is Luxshare-ICT. Guess who owns Luxshare? Can you guess which new company is assembling iPhone 14 in addition to Foxconn?

Non-business people think moving out of China is possible, but what's actually happening is China is moving up the value ladder with Luxshare, BOE, and CATL.
Yes. In the end, it’s not Apple who is moving out, it’s the companies owning those Chinese factories (which are mostly Chinese or Taiwanese companies) who are diversifying their assets and to control cost as labor cost in China is rising.

Contrary to wordings, Apple doesn’t have a factory nor make their products themselves. In the end Apple is still in partnership with those Chinese companies, regardless of the location of the factories.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I encourage it, it just makes so much sense. As China moves out of developing country status and a larger middle class is created, the cost manufacturing and finding the labor to do it is gonna become higher. India and Vietnam will benefit from this. Hopefully Africa can get some of the love too since so many rare earth minerals are sourced from there.
I cannot believe you’re doing this too: mixing a continent in a conversation of countries. Uggh. Disappointed bruh, even if you’re just making it easy for others to follow along. Picking cause we know better.

And yes I do hope African countries benefit as well from this, except Congo, Ghana under their current corruption rule that is apparent with Cobalt & precious metals mining. DeBeers has already announce no more diamind mining soon & full transition to synthetic diamonds so such agriculture & demotic economic opportunity for a transition.

I don’t think a shortage of citizens is happening for manufacturing, but the rising wealth of a nation is so fast everyone from farming lands are becoming higher educated & wanting better more financially secure lives.

India has already experienced this with countrymen working abroad sending wealth to families back home. India is THE last economy based on textiles, and rapidly moving beyond this.

As you hinted on, as a populace’s wealth increases so too does their taste for a better lifestyle, spending, education, and further economic growth.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Texas is a country? Think you mean state. 😉
Looking at the profile pic funny I wonder if it was a mistake lol, most likely though.

Apple already has & had computing manufacturing in Texas since 2013

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Lower than:
Alaska
California
Connecticut
Delaware
D.C.
Illinois
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Nevada
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
Pennsylvania

You know there are 50 states plus DC, right? Are you arguing in support of their assertion or against it?

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Well, considering that there is a massive labor shortage where people don’t want to work, I highly suspect it wouldn’t benefit Apple to start trying to ‘create jobs’, when almost every industry can’t even locate viable/prospective employees who are willingly to work on a consistent basis. The first hurdle Apple needs to be clear, is actually having more stabilization in our economy until then, It be a bad business move at this point for Apple until the workforce can settle.
Data to support:

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
Apple makes the thinnest hard to take apart computers, why can't they just design them with an automated assembly line in mind? Same motherboard for most products, cookie cutter asembly by robot for thin computers. They could design them very similar and just vary in screen size. I think they overengeneer their products. Now that they are not designed to last as long as their original products, who cares how they do it? Its not like they have to figure out how to make them more scratch resistant and less prone to glass shattering. Just go full robot and upgrade the robots occasionally. And if the robots keep breaking them glass then stop using so much stinking glass or make it even tougher to break. A win win. And they can have the plants in North America.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.