Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Huh? There is no "US tax rate" - there is a giant tangle of different state and local sales taxes that vary wildly. If we had something flat, like a VAT, then that would be a different story.
I was comparing the pricing shown on US and PH Apple Store websites and converting the US pricing to PH does not match what is shown on PH website... 1 USD roughly equal to 50 to 55 PHP but PH website pricing is about 60 to 70 times of US pricing... That's why I'm asking if the price on US website does not include tax yet...

Da_Hood

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2017
Australia
Yes. In the end, it’s not Apple who is moving out, it’s the companies owning those Chinese factories (which are mostly Chinese or Taiwanese companies) who are diversifying their assets and to control cost as labor cost in China is rising.

Contrary to wordings, Apple doesn’t have a factory nor make their products themselves. In the end Apple is still in partnership with those Chinese companies, regardless of the location of the factories.
But how long will those cheats survive? Without a local joint venture requirement, these companies will finally be exposed to real competition.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
If China eventually invade Taiwan and the west is dumb enough to impose sanctions then Apple could be crippled overnight. Diversifying production partners is a smart move by Cook but they better hurry up ?
is not if, but when, chinese population will hit a peak this decade before it start taking a dive due to its half a century long birth policy. xi is waiting for all the stars to align at this point.

Reactions: Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
is not if, but when, chinese population will hit a peak this decade before it start taking a dive due to its half a century long birth policy. xi is waiting for all the stars to align at this point.

Yes I fear you’re probably right, but I should probably have emphasised the “and” part of my comment. If it happens and the west responds with heavy sanctions, then in all likelihood the entire civilised world will collapse, never mind Apple. And as someone else correctly pointed out earlier, that’s quite aside from the direct impact on Taiwan’s semiconductor industry. I highly doubt the majority realise just how reliant the world is on Taiwanese and Chinese manufacturing. If there’s an invasion and the masses start championing Russia-style sanctions, they will soon rue the day.

Reactions: ilikewhey

surfzen21

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2019
New York
Africa would be a fantastic move. I would also like to see more manufacturing in Mexico, Central and South America. Longer term, I would like to see more educational investment in these regions, so they can get more of the design and software jobs.
That's exactly what the Prosper Africa Act is intending to do. Increase trade and investments between the many African nations and the US. It's also meant to counter what China and Russia are doing in Africa.

I just hope whatever US investments are happening overseas they are more bilaterally beneficial than they are one way exploitative.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
The Sad state of supply chain discussion.

It is actually Apple helping Chinese Companies to move out of China into Vietnam.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
This is good to hear but Apple really needs to accelerate this process and spend some of its mountain of cash doing so. Also, simply moving Chinese owned production out of China and into another country isn't nearly enough. Production needs to also be diversified with firms not owned or controlled by that country.

I'm not saying Apple should move out of China entirely at this point, but it seems more likely that tensions will rise to the point where manufacturing for Western countries will be interrupted further.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Designed in California. Manufactured anywhere but the USA

Serious question. How much would an iPhone cost if it were manufactured in the USA?

First you have to ensure parts were even available, and then find and train willing workers. Could Apple, with it's deep pockets still churn out an iPhone for say $1500?

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
After seeing most of the world turning away from Russia because of the invasion of Ukraine, Tim is realizing the possibility of a US/EU ban of all Chinese made products if China ever decides to invade Taiwan. I know some people here will say that wouldn’t happen because companies like Apple would collapse and the US government wouldn’t allow that to happen, but I think if images of residential buildings getting hit by Chinese missiles and dead civilians are seen by Americans and Europeans, the pressure will be too great for governments to ignore.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I was comparing the pricing shown on US and PH Apple Store websites and converting the US pricing to PH does not match what is shown on PH website... 1 USD roughly equal to 50 to 55 PHP but PH website pricing is about 60 to 70 times of US pricing... That's why I'm asking if the price on US website does not include tax yet...
US pricing rarely includes the Sales Tax. that tax rate is different for different states and municipalities. It varies from around 10% to 0% of the price of the item.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I guess the Chinese working in the iFactory are now making too much money per hour. Time to find another low wage worker country to exploit. I’m old enough to remember when we made everything here in the USA.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tagbert

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I guess the Chinese working in the iFactory are now making too much money per hour. Time to find another low wage worker country to exploit. I’m old enough to remember when we made everything here in the USA.
Did Americans say anything when their shoes and clothings manufacturing were outsourced to developing countries? Kinda spilled milk at this point, don’t you think?

hayesk

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2003
It's not about unions or cost of labour. It's about logistics. How much person labour do you think it takes to assemble an iPhone? If it was made in US, and wages was $25 per hour instead of $5 in China (or even less), that might translate to a retail cost increase of maybe $100?

It's about logistics. Where do the components come from? How much does it cost to bring them all together at the same time in the US vs. China. Can we quickly mobilize enough workers to build millions of devices? The costs are in the logistics, not employee wages. Just "bring it to the US" is not as easy as it sounds, especially for high volume products.

bookofxero

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2017
Right, but it's not just a simple currency conversion - there are other factors they take into account when determining regional pricing. Also, there will never be a "US website that includes tax" when there are no less than dozens of different tax rates and laws across the USA.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Companies have been moving to Vietnam because China is expensive now. Plus their politics means that any executive can get grabbed and detained at any time if the CPP wants it.

This is a clear signal to all those people who are all “apple can’t move manufacturing to the us because skills.“ The US is more skilled than Vietnam for sure. Apple need cheap assemblers, not high-skill workers.

It’s good for Vietnam. It’s a great country with good people. Most consider the communists a mistake, but whatever. Now they all just want to get rich.

It's not 'skill'. Vietnam has the large mass of people. They have a different view of 'work'. They have a different view of, well, almost anything. Their country also, like China and others, has fewer protections for the employees and the environment. America would be different if it went back to the early days of employment. Times when people were almost totally OWNED by the employer. The, now very old, saying about 'signing your life away to the company store' was real! You owed your very existence to 'the company'. You were paid enough to barely survive, you lived in company owned towns and encampments, and you were always owing money to 'the company store' for food, clothes, room and board, necessities. You couldn't quit because they could/would take it all back. If you were fired, you were homeless and saddled with debt that 'company store'. And if you were a 'problem employee', you weren't likely to be hired again by any other company, period. Indentured servitude also created a market where indentures were trades, bought and sold on the open market like livestock, and your debt often followed you to the next company.

Worker protections did away with the company store era, the era of legalized slavery for the under class. People couldn't afford to protest for better working conditions because being fired meant your life was basically over. You would be dogged everywhere you went for owing money to 'the company store'. It was very much 'forced employment', and there was, obviously, a very strong reason to work the 14+ hours in back breaking labor, and not complain over being sick and injured. That a company in China had to install 'suicide nets' to catch their conscripts from potentially escaping the company was horrific, and realizing that was likely the only way they COULD escape was incredibly depressing.

If America had a workforce, again, held captive to their very lives, we could manufacture things for literal pennies a day in labor cost too and have a very obedient workforce willing to sacrifice their lives for the 'right' of employment. Some today wish we were back in those times. Employment consumed a lot of lives back then, not to mention fingers, arms, legs, etc.

'Signing your life away to the company store' should never come back, but workers should never forget those days either. If those kind of conditions are what will make America competitive in the world market, I say then be uncompetitive! That price is too high to ask for people. More education would go a long way to help rather than indentured servitude.

So, yes, China and Vietnam and many other nations are winning the world manufacturing game by cheating, in essence. Indentureship was/is a cruel heartless and nasty system.

Reactions: johnb300m
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.