Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
iCloud backups are encrypted. Educate yourself: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202303

Yes nobody has access.. except Apple.. and the FBI .. and probably the Chinese Government if you're in China ?

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Tim Cook talks so much about privacy that it is scaring me,
Either this is a marketing campaign against Facebook, Amazon, and Google or he knows something we don't know...

• Wow
Reactions: DeepIn2U

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Tim Cook talks so much about privacy that it is scaring me,
Either this is a marketing campaign against Facebook, Amazon, and Google or he knows something we don't know...

It is one of Apple’s marketing mantras that zealots here continue to adorn. It is ironic how they say privacy is important yet they collect data for their own use. Fanatics respond, “I still trust Apple more than others”

redcaptrickster

Suspended
Nov 27, 2020
Well, hopefully, Tim isn't blowing smoke up everyone's backside as he does with climate change. I won't get my hopes up, though.

• Wow
Reactions: I7guy

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
iCloud backups are encrypted. Educate yourself: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202303

However on that site ... iCloud.com is stated in the last column to have data encrypted ON server - BUT the 2nd column says YES for ”in-transit” and NO/Blank for “on server. Seems like a blatant contradiction. Am I missing something?

Attachments

• 636ABEE7-09E7-4BBC-B32E-33ED44E68599.jpeg
    636ABEE7-09E7-4BBC-B32E-33ED44E68599.jpeg
    205.1 KB · Views: 82

Cancelled
Oct 11, 2015
However on that site ... iCloud.com is stated in the last column to have data encrypted ON server - BUT the 2nd column says YES for ”in-transit” and NO/Blank for “on server. Seems like a blatant contradiction. Am I missing something?
What will clear up what seems to be a contradiction is the "Notes" section in column 4. The *dash* doesn't mean *no*. It's a method used so as to not have to repeat the table information (including whether Apple has access to the keys).

"All sessions at iCloud.com are encrypted with TLS 1.2. Any data accessed via iCloud.com is encrypted on server as indicated in this table."

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
What will clear up what seems to be a contradiction is the "Notes" section in column 4. The *dash* doesn't mean *no*. It's a method used so as to not have to repeat the table information (including whether Apple has access to the keys).

"All sessions at iCloud.com are encrypted with TLS 1.2. Any data accessed via iCloud.com is encrypted on server as indicated in this table."

Yet if that was actually the case it also contradicts that the table has repeated itself in the exact same column above the new entry for iCloud.

See the repeats? Hmm.
Again contradictory - even with your explanation - that itself contradicts itself in the table shown from the source you linked.

Attachments

• E29C7AA6-1922-4538-94EC-34A0A3A62673.jpeg
    E29C7AA6-1922-4538-94EC-34A0A3A62673.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 79

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It is one of Apple’s marketing mantras that zealots here continue to adorn. It is ironic how they say privacy is important yet they collect data for their own use. Fanatics respond, “I still trust Apple more than others”
It's a real conundrum. The abject critics get on Apple seemingly for collecting a byte of information, while other services/websites have an entire history. What the uneducated critics don't realize is that some information is necessary for a modicum of experience as below:
- Hospitals deleted your patient data and emr when you are discharged.
- Banks collect all sorts of PII in their quest to give you a mortagage.
- Car dealers collect all sorts of information so one can buy a car from them. Some of this information is retained so that the buyer and dealer can communicate over common ground an provide a good user experience.
- Apple retains a byte of data to provide a good user experience and "the zealots continue to adorn". Har, har, hardy har har. Some have blinders on when it comes to Apple.

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
It's a real conundrum. The abject critics get on Apple seemingly for collecting a byte of information, while other services/websites have an entire history. What the uneducated critics don't realize is that some information is necessary for a modicum of experience as below:
- Hospitals deleted your patient data and emr when you are discharged.
- Banks collect all sorts of PII in their quest to give you a mortagage.
- Car dealers collect all sorts of information so one can buy a car from them. Some of this information is retained so that the buyer and dealer can communicate over common ground an provide a good user experience.
- Apple retains a byte of data to provide a good user experience and "the zealots continue to adorn". Har, har, hardy har har. Some have blinders on when it comes to Apple.

And then there is Apples enabling of the Chinese surveillance state...

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
And then there is Apples enabling of the Chinese surveillance state...
So you are suggesting Apple shouldn't follow government guidelines and give (any) government the collective middle finger. People don't understand the companies based in the US who do business globally have to follow the local laws.

If apple customers, observers, shareholders don't like Apples' policies there are ways to change things. Just get the board changed out to a group of people who will usher in the CEO you want.

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
So you are suggesting Apple shouldn't follow government guidelines and give (any) government the collective middle finger. People don't understand the companies based in the US who do business globally have to follow the local laws.

If apple customers, observers, shareholders don't like Apples' policies there are ways to change things. Just get the board changed out to a group of people who will usher in the CEO you want.

Apples shady behaviour around the HK maps app removal was nothing to do with local laws, Apple failed to provide any evidence that laws had been broken.

It was purely to cowtow to an authoritarian regime.

So much for human rights..

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Apples shady behaviour around the HK maps app removal was nothing to do with local laws, Apple failed to provide any evidence that laws had been broken.

It was purely to cowtow to an authoritarian regime.

So much for human rights..
Or alternatively, obeying local laws and government directives is a necessity, no matter what country one does business is. You cannot know the behind the scenes circumstances, and I understand it's easier to form a conclusion with a lack of data, than say "don't know the facts behind it, but on the surface it doesn't look good."

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2007
Sadly, most people don't know the extent to which they are tracked and even more sadly most don't care enough to even do basic research on the topic!
Come on, let’s be realistic, this has been going on for 15 odd years. If people didn’t know or haven’t figured out how much they are being tracked just by the target ads on eBay, YouTube, and every where else, they must be in space.

Anyway, so hero Timmy starts talking about it now, how bad the others are. Speak for himself, since Mac OS X 10.7 the OS was calling home in the background checking certificates and chattering all day long back to Apple servers. It has been increasingly obnoxious ever since. His policies and practices have reflected Apple’s desire to point us in the direction that suits them, how’s about Keychain, it used to save all the passwords locally, but then they stopped that and the only place passwords were saved is on iCloud, then their audacity to tell us our local storage is insecure and that their iCloud is safer at the same time articles were around suggesting he and Apple provide the NSA with back doors to iCloud and people’s data....

He’s a class A hypocrite!

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2007
That is true. Do not use iCloud backups and you don't have to worry about that aspect.
At the expense of loosing the door and the lock you used to have. Because Apple will take the door away...They did it with Keychain see my post above. They did it on iOS 5 with FaceTime, they wanted to force people onto iOS6 so they expired the FaceTime certificate before it was due. Instead of just updating the certificate they refused to update it, thus rendering FaceTime un-usable, thus forcing people to upgrade to iOS6 which had a tonne of other issues which people wanted to skip.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Come on, let’s be realistic, this has been going on for 15 odd years. If people didn’t know or haven’t figured out how much they are being tracked just by the target ads on eBay, YouTube, and every where else, they must be in space.

Anyway, so hero Timmy starts talking about it now, how bad the others are. Speak for himself, since Mac OS X 10.7 the OS was calling home in the background checking certificates and chattering all day long back to Apple servers. It has been increasingly obnoxious ever since. His policies and practices have reflected Apple’s desire to point us in the direction that suits them, how’s about Keychain, it used to save all the passwords locally, but then they stopped that and the only place passwords were saved is on iCloud, then their audacity to tell us our local storage is insecure and that their iCloud is safer at the same time articles were around suggesting he and Apple provide the NSA with back doors to iCloud and people’s data....

He’s a class A hypocrite!
Your confusing and conflating things in zealousness to criticize mr. cook. The amount of software that apple has to support across its infrastructure is vast. Privacy (and security ) are not binary. A corporation doesn’t flip a switch and call it done, now everyone can go home.

And further rather than have apple regulated by law they may have to make certain concessions to give government access to data through legal channels.

boswald

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2016
Florida
Tim, just a suggestion, but if you truly care about privacy, how about switching the default search engine from Google to something else?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Tim, just a suggestion, but if you truly care about privacy, how about switching the default search engine from Google to something else?
Why? What privacy issue would that solve...especially since google is the most popular and people would choose it anyway, and then Apple would lose the revenue, basically to appease MacRumors posters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.