Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
No worries. They have the best research scientists and mathematicians on their payroll, augmented by collaborating universities. And have an essentially unlimited budget.
Why do you think they have so many consultants from the free research world? Surely not because they have so many top-talents. Collaboration is good, then we know exactly what they can do and what they can’t do. So far, the proper encryption is secure, for everyone. The governments of the world want you to believe a lot of things to show their ”power”. But having consulted and worked on government research projects myself, there are always two sides to a story, what you tell everyone and what actually happened. As I said, good luck NSA.

• Haha
Reactions: SFjohn

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Why do you think they have so many consultants from the free research world? Surely not because they have so many top-talents. Collaboration is good, then we know exactly what they can do and what they can’t do. So far, the proper encryption is secure, for everyone. The governments of the world want you to believe a lot of things to show their ”power”. But having consulted and worked on government research projects myself, there are always two sides to a story, what you tell everyone and what actually happened. As I said, good luck NSA.

To collect information. A good thing. It's not so much collaboration. It's to get a sense of where the world is on that subject, that's just one of many many sources.

I have immense respect for them, on a wide variety of fronts, beyond cryptology.

"The governments of the world want you to believe a lot of things to show their ”power”

No, just the opposite for NSA.

I'm not worried in the slightest.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
The poster you were quoting wasn’t taking it personally, just stating that calling Tim Cook “Timmy” looks childish, which it does.

Well I say get over it. I dont have to kiss his boots like I live under his authoritarian regime and cant dissent.

• Haha
Reactions: SFjohn

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
The meeting will include Cook and Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, with executives from Google, Amazon, IBM, Southern Co., and JPMorgan Chase & Co also invited to attend.
Zero surprise that no independent cyber security and/or digital freedom associations were invited to attend.

This is just Joe chatting to his Democrat supporting mates.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
No, he didn’t open a giant back door on everyone‘s iPhone.
Apple opened the front door, not the back door.

Tim and Apple opened the front door with their spyware. It is only a matter of time before this "feature" will be abused by Apple directly or by others as a precedent to do further harm.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Apple opened the front door, not the back door.

Tim and Apple opened the front door with their spyware. It is only a matter of time before this "feature" will be abused by Apple directly or by others as a precedent to do further harm.

It's nice being able to make stuff up!

Reactions: JMacHack

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Biden probably wants to leverage Apple's new SpyPhone software

Purge those MAGA voters like The Hunt. Ban them from the ecosystem, publicly shame and humiliate them. After all - it's become morally justified. That's the way to let love into your heart.

What country do those folks think they live in?

Let John Gruber of the prestigious Daring Fireball diary blog lead the charge; he's of a sound mind.

Last edited:

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
That's a laugh. Coming from the guy who's company just threw the door wide open to spyware & mass government surveilance Cook has zero integrity and certainly no business being at such a conferance

Actually what's a laugh (actaully at this point it's getting so old it's not funny) is that people don't understand what Apple is actually doing with what you're inaccurately alluding to (to the point of being irresponsible and libelous, imo). If you want ultimate privacy with your iPhone, I suggest you don't put anything on iCloud that you're not willing for Apple to be able to access (since they hold the encryption keys for iCloud data but don't hold the encryption key for your iPhone). This has always been true, even before iOS 15. Nothing has changed except they are now scanning for illegal material on iCloud in a way that hides everything from them except any illegal image data (and that's only if you use iCloud with photos) since the scan is happening on your phone (where they can't access anything) vs. on their servers.

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010
Well I say get over it. I dont have to kiss his boots like I live under his authoritarian regime and cant dissent.
Nothing to get over, by all means keep doing that if it pleases you, I don’t care.

As for the regime part I’m not sure what are you talking about, nor do I want to find out, so keep fighting the fight, I guess.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Nothing to get over, by all means keep doing that if it pleases you, I don’t care.

As for the regime part I’m not sure what are you talking about, nor do I want to find out, so keep fighting the fight, I guess.

I said it once , Timmy.
Lol I can’t believe this is still going on

the defensive “culture” apple has created around itself is ... both bizarre and interesting

ive never seen someone so upset by a shorthand nickname (for Timothy)

Interestingly his middle name is Donald.

Wait until you hear the shorthand for Richard.

Last edited:

Manzanito

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2010
I said it once , Timmy.
Lol I can’t believe this is still going on

the defensive “culture” apple has created around itself is ... both bizarre and interesting

Interestingly his middle name is Donald.

Wait until you hear the shorthand for Richard.
Rich?

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Tim will explain how his new tech. of scanning devices can help USA security intelligence to see and read every digital file out there.

• Disagree
Reactions: usagora

bb9

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2017
Just FOCUS on STOPPING CSAM, Tim. I hope the other CEO's that will be joining the meeting is not happy with what Apple is about to introduce with CSAM.

Hopefully, Tim doesn't focus on Cyber Espionage. LOL, is this a joke?

Why are people so dead set against stopping child abuse?

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017

Both you and everyone here knows you deliberately used the diminutive form of his name in a mocking way, not an endearing way. This is quite a common passive-aggressive method of insulting people. And like others said, it just distracts from any rational points that you may have (if you do) because it's petty. I guess if you're more interested in ranting than rational discussion, then you're on the right track.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Enough with the bickering, please stay on topic and be respectful.
MacRumors Rules for Appropriate Debate:
Respect
Guidelines: Show respect for your fellow posters. Expect and accept that other users may have strongly held opinions that differ from yours. In other words, basic human courtesy.

Rules:
  1. Name-calling. Name-calling falls into the category of insults and will be treated as such according to the forum rules, your own opinion about another member notwithstanding. You can't call a bigot a bigot, a troll a troll, or a fanboy a fanboy, any more than you can call an idiot an idiot. You can disagree with the content of another member's statement or give your evidence or opinion to dispute their claims, but you may not make a negative personal characterization about that member.
  2. Hate speech and group slurs. We prohibit discrimination, abuse, threats or prejudice against a particular group, for example based on race, gender, religion or sexual orientation, in a way that a reasonable person would find offensive.
  3. Taunting. Mocking or taunting another forum member is not acceptable. Posts that ridicule another member or obviously exaggerate or misstate their views (including purposely mis-quoting them) may be removed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.