Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
Last week for me. Spun up my old XPS13 on Linux and have transferred all my photos, music and office docs (had to convert to LibreOffice), and am running it in parallel with my old MacBook. I’ve also been transitioning my device backups from iCloud to my local NAS. Just today, I reduced my iCloud storage from 200GB to 50GB, and am well on the path of eliminating it entirely. Since the battery on my XPS13 is starting to swell slightly, I’m going to have to replace it in the near future. If Apple hasn’t reversed course on their spyware plans by the time the new MacBook Pro’s are released, I’ve researched and will purchase one of the new Framework modular laptops instead with the allocated budget (https://frame.work/) - and will run Linux on it. Needless to say, I’ll hang on to my iPhone 12 Pro Max (running iOS 14) until iOS 14 is out of support, then find something else. BTW - I am not the only person I’m aware of that is charting a similar course.

Does this answer your question?
I love your answer, but I don’t think iOS 14 (on your iPhone 12 Pro Max - same as mine) will be safe. Apple will be updating iOS 14 with actually important security updated, and one of those will include CSAM scanning. Probably right after iOS 15 is released, iOS 14 will be ”upgraded” as well.

Mercury7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2007
I love your answer, but I don’t think iOS 14 (on your iPhone 12 Pro Max - same as mine) will be safe. Apple will be updating iOS 14 with actually important security updated, and one of those will include CSAM scanning. Probably right after iOS 15 is released, iOS 14 will be ”upgraded” as well.
I’m watching this closely…. My whole plan to keep my devices for a while depends on ios14 being clean…. If it turns out they are retro spying then it moves up my timeline

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
This will be like the grandkids explaining how tic toc works to their grandfather.. Tim, Try and keep Joe from nodding off while you are talking to him..
More like the hypocritical explaining to the clueless...

These type of meetings are more to show that there is a policy focus - rather than the nuts-and-bolts of any policy.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Timmy? Seriously again? Using Timmy for Tim Cook to try to diminish him, just makes the person posting it look childish. It weakens any position you’re trying to make.

Equally, responding and taking a snarky comment at a CEO, personally - looks childish. It weakens any position you're trying to make.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
So many anti Biden, Biden memesters, Trump supporters on MacRumors… Therefore I’m leaving MacRumors. Bye 👋
Does it surprise you given the number of completely unhinged, misinformed, "conspiracy theorist" responses to so many topics here?

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
They're only sharing it if you upload child sexual abuse imagery to iCloud.
They share data about all images. Every single one.
This is the point that you are glossing over.
Because it doesn't really matter what the images are.
hat stuff isn't just illegal, it's absolutely abhorrent and Apple does not want to have their services used for that.
Again, not relevant.

(Also, people with these images are not the real problem anyway, and has been discussed many times before on MR this policy will encourage an increase in child abuse.)
That is within their rights to do.
Questionable. They may say it's within their rights to do it, but many things that appear to be within ones rights is not actually something you can do. You can't simply shoot someone burglarizing your house. You can't have sex with a spouse just because you want to do so. I can't just include a movie clip in a video because it emphasizes an emotion.
Just like it's within your rights to not buy an Apple product.
How does not buying a product punish Apple?
Then you state that they're sharing that info with the police after claiming that they wouldn't. That is a fair argument, but it has no legal implications.
It might. More importantly, it should.
Apple can update their terms of service whenever they want.
Again, this needs to be questioned and investigated. Just because it's the way software companies work now doesn't mean it's reasonable nor is it a way to justify anti-consumer, anti-privacy behavior.
It says so right in the terms of service that you agree to when you set up an iPhone.
I never agreed to it. My phone was set up by my carrier.
If you do not like it, then get a non-Apple branded phone. It's called "voting with your wallet".
There are other ways to vote. You can lobby. You can protest. You can vote with other people's wallets by making it embarrassing to have products or brands. You can do investigative journalism. You can buy stock and ask executives to justify and defend every single business decision. You can publicly shame them.
Simple as that.
You seem to think that because Apple says it's ok, then it's ok. Even if they have the legal right to do what they are doing it's not ok. Put your energy into fixing the problem. We should have legally protected expectations that content is private from the government. We need to hold companies accountable for leaking personal details regardless of if it's a data breach or actively sharing information. There is absolutely no discernable difference between sharing private data with the police and releasing it on the dark web.

Mercury7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2007
Probably the saddest article I read this morning was someone saying they were going to accept Apples spyware because android was not any better…. Yes android has its own issues but as discussed at length they currently are not doing this and android google free iOS is available if need be….. sometimes it feels like apple has paid pundits in our forums and media instead of just fanboys…. Also noting article about this are starting to dry up…. Approaching 24hrs with out a major story…… hopefully that will change because it needs to stay up front for a while to get the word out beyond the normal tech people who watch stuff like this

Mercury7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2007
Does it surprise you given the number of completely unhinged, misinformed, "conspiracy theorist" responses to so many topics here?
Since this thread is about Biden and cook it shouldn’t surprise anyone to see a political slant come in, I actually thought the other threads over the last week have gone well as far as staying on topic…. As far as this personal attack on conservatives above it’s kinda unwarranted What Apple has been doing seems pretty clear it’s offensive regardless of political affiliation… privacy is one issue you would think you could try to get along, always seems to devolve…. But notable the main people doing this are the Apple defenders

jseymour

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2018
S.E. Michigan, USA
All Apple iPhones, iPads, Macs & Apple TVs will be searched on the devices themselves.
Do you have a cite for Apple TVs being scanned? I know about iPhones, iPads, and Mac OS, but not ATVs. If ATVs are included, that means our four ATVs will have to be replaced, too.

That would drive me beyond my current level of disappointment and well into the outright angry zone.

Mercury7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2007
Do you have a cite for Apple TVs being scanned? I know about iPhones, iPads, and Mac OS, but not ATVs. If ATVs are included, that means our four ATVs will have to be replaced, too.

That would drive me beyond my current level of disappointment and well into the outright angry zone.
I have thought about my appletv…. I can’t see a way for it to become spyware other than tracking what you watch…. I’m a little more concerned about my homepods though….they could easily go the Alexa way…. I have been just trusting apple on this and we all know trust kinda went out the window this week

Reactions: VulchR and jseymour

jseymour

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2018
S.E. Michigan, USA
Wow a lot of dislike for Biden here. I was sure almost everyone on this forum was a die hard democrat, loyal to any democrat politician no matter what.
It isn't just Democrats. Even the dominant "news" media are starting to turn on him. The man is obviously not firing on all cylinders. Hasn't been since long before his "election."

Why the hate for Tim all of a sudden?
Because it's been discovered Tim speaks with forked tongue?

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Since the meeting concerns

They own Southern Company Gas Alabama Power Georgia Power Mississippi Power Southern Company Services Southern Linc Southern Nuclear Southern Company Generation Southern Power Southern Telecom PowerSecure.

Remember Colonial Pipeline, said it had halted systems for its 5,500 miles of pipeline from Texas to New York after being hit by a ransomware attack. They effected millions of customers. So Southern Co is a critical infrastructure entity.
Actually the pipeline was fine. It was the payment system that got hacked. Can't have customers getting free energy, can we? Capitalism strikes again.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
How can Apple usefully contribute to a discussion on cybersecurity when it just announced plans to violate the privacy of its iPhone customers, providing a blueprint for intrusive on-phone survillience?

Reactions: SFjohn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.