Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
EFC3A752-616B-467D-8DF6-ADC3564AE822.jpeg
CB5E1E3F-2589-473B-A063-1322D018D1E4.jpeg

99DF024A-A2A6-4726-9309-DF28C5AC8A03.jpeg

5E82702F-A1D2-48E0-ABB3-01366217409F.jpeg

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
They are looking for illegal content. THey do not wish to have their services and their servers be used for sexual abuse imagery. The third party they're sharing it with are those who prosecute such crimes.

Nice try, but you need a bit more stronger of an argument than that.
Seriously. Pay attention to my point: it doesn’t matter why they search. The issue is that they search. Catching a thousand criminals does not justify searching one person without a warrant.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
He should be ear to ear grinning as opposed to looking like a wet cat with the last admin

Timmy is jonesing to enter the pol sphere more than he already is

Reactions: Huck

q64ceo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
Seriously. Pay attention to my point: it doesn’t matter why they search. The issue is that they search. Catching a thousand criminals does not justify searching one person without a warrant.

Apple isn't the government. They don't need a warrant to search their servers that they operate. You use their services you abide by their rules. You don't even need to upload your images to iCloud. But If you don't like it, use a different company. Google is spy central, so you must avoid Android. You could get a flip-phone, but those suck. There are good deals on cheap WIndows phones on eBay. Microsoft doesn't spy on you on those. You wont get any software updates, but hey, your stuff isn't being searched as you say "without a warrant".

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
Depends on how you encrypt the data. The research group down the hall of my own research group is currently working on porting encryption to QSC. Good luck with that NSA. ;)

No worries. They have the best research scientists and mathematicians on their payroll, augmented by collaborating universities. And have an essentially unlimited budget.

• Love
Reactions: SFjohn

jseymour

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2018
S.E. Michigan, USA
Ahh, so it's the logical fallacy "appeal to consequences". X can happen if you do Y, so Y should never be done.
Sorry, but no. It's actually a slippery slope argument, which isn't necessarily a fallacy. An appeal to consequences fallacy is something quite a bit different. Appeal to consequence is a formal, or logical, fallacy. Slippery slope is (possibly) an informal fallacy.

Logical fallacies are apparent, or inarguable, because they clearly consist of flawed logic. E.g.: When the cock crows the sun rises, therefore the cock crowing causes the sun to rise. (Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc [this, therefore because of this], logical.) Informal fallacies may be arguable, because their truth, or lack thereof, depend upon whether or not there's been a misuse of language or evidence.

A slippery slope argument isn't always fallacious because labeling it as such begs the question, to wit: It presumes the predicted possible outcomes of the proposed action are in fact entirely unlikely. (In the instant case I'd submit they are not.)

Nice try, but you need a bit more stronger of an argument than that.
Nice try ;), but his argument is sound. You may disagree with the likelihood of the negative consequences he anticipates, but that doesn't make him necessarily wrong.

Last edited:

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
The thing is Apple isn’t searching their servers. They are searching ALL iPhones that have iCloud photo sharing turned on. They are doing this ON. EACH. iPHONE. They aren’t doing anything in iCloud. All Apple iPhones, iPads, Macs & Apple TVs will be searched on the devices themselves. (You do own the devices, but you don’t own the software that makes them run.) Apple is looking for bad pictures you have on your devices, which can be ANYTHING Apple wants. If they find them, some sad person at Apple will have to look at one. If that person at Apple doesn’t like what they see - Expect to be rudely interrupted by a SWAT Team carrying machine guns, knocking your door in, confiscating all your electronics and hauling every adult to jail, while your kids are placed with social services for the duration of your upcoming trial. The fact that you didn’t even know those pics were on your phone won’t matter at all. While you are in jail don’t expect to live to your trial date. The one thing inmates kill people for, is why you’re in jail. You didn’t do the crime, but it won’t matter. Your future, brought to you by Apple Inc. (Most likely against their will.) Want to know who’s really behind all this? Look into the people who ruined Tumbler, closed X-Tube, FansOnly, and many more.

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
Apple isn't the government. They don't need a warrant to search their servers that they operate. You use their services you abide by their rules. You don't even need to upload your images to iCloud. But If you don't like it, use a different company. Google is spy central, so you must avoid Android. You could get a flip-phone, but those suck. There are good deals on cheap WIndows phones on eBay. Microsoft doesn't spy on you on those. You wont get any software updates, but hey, your stuff isn't being searched as you say "without a warrant".
Wow. You got me by ignoring the point entirely and focusing on the least relevant detail for two chapters. Everyone knows they aren’t the government, but that doesn’t change what they did. They are just sharing their customers data with the police after claiming they won’t.

Great. According to my understanding of the rhyme that means Apple gets stitches.

Just sayin...

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2008
Will you be voting with your wallet? When?
Last week for me. Spun up my old XPS13 on Linux and have transferred all my photos, music and office docs (had to convert to LibreOffice), and am running it in parallel with my old MacBook. I’ve also been transitioning my device backups from iCloud to my local NAS. Just today, I reduced my iCloud storage from 200GB to 50GB, and am well on the path of eliminating it entirely. Since the battery on my XPS13 is starting to swell slightly, I’m going to have to replace it in the near future. If Apple hasn’t reversed course on their spyware plans by the time the new MacBook Pro’s are released, I’ve researched and will purchase one of the new Framework modular laptops instead with the allocated budget (https://frame.work/) - and will run Linux on it. Needless to say, I’ll hang on to my iPhone 12 Pro Max (running iOS 14) until iOS 14 is out of support, then find something else. BTW - I am not the only person I’m aware of that is charting a similar course.

Does this answer your question?

Scoob Redux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2020
That's a laugh. Coming from the guy who's company just threw the door wide open to spyware & mass government surveilance Cook has zero integrity and certainly no business being at such a conferance
Biden wants to discuss ways to expand surveillance of American citizens. I'm sure they'll start planning many ways to use Apple's new on-device spyware.

BaltimoreMediaBlog

Suspended
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
I sure hope Tim still remembers how to solder to replace those burnt out chips in the President. The Weekend At Bernies jokes are really getting old. Somebody needs to fix the elusive Biden creature if he can be caught in the wild {basement) with his stash of tapioca pudding. Biden doesn't even know how to use a computer or the internet or Twitter or Facebook or where his kid's laptops are so what could he possibly do to help out? It's not like he could possibly make any knowledgeable decision on this topic. PLEASE!
It's embarrassing that this is even on this website. And I didn't even get started on Cook but the truth is he's placing his customers in the reckless hands of the government that just left 10,000+ citizens stranded in a hostile foreign country! What the hell was he thinking?! :D

Last edited:

Wildkraut

Suspended
Nov 8, 2015
Germany
Mimimimi what a filthy blabber mounth.

Unnnncleeeee Joooeeee, they are bad mouthing my CSAM surveillance, and they are trying to destroy the monopoly I hardly build, could you please intervene this?
Ops, I think i lost my Apple Wallet somewhere in here, please let me know if you find it *blink - blink*

As if Tim knows anything about security!
F* Lobbyist, Shame - Shame - Shame

Last edited:

q64ceo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
Wow. You got me by ignoring the point entirely and focusing on the least relevant detail for two chapters. Everyone knows they aren’t the government, but that doesn’t change what they did. They are just sharing their customers data with the police after claiming they won’t.

Great. According to my understanding of the rhyme that means Apple gets stitches.
They're only sharing it if you upload child sexual abuse imagery to iCloud. This is the point that you are glossing over. That stuff isn't just illegal, it's absolutely abhorrent and Apple does not want to have their services used for that. That is within their rights to do. Just like it's within your rights to not buy an Apple product. Then you state that they're sharing that info with the police after claiming that they wouldn't. That is a fair argument, but it has no legal implications. Apple can update their terms of service whenever they want. It says so right in the terms of service that you agree to when you set up an iPhone. If you do not like it, then get a non-Apple branded phone. It's called "voting with your wallet". Simple as that.

Last edited:

Just sayin...

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2008
Like the article recommends, I’ve been using the excellent app PhotoSync to help transition away from iCloud photos. While slightly cumbersome, I’ve managed to configure it to accomplish everything I need (sync & backup) regarding my iPhone photos. I’ve said it elsewhere, but it really makes me sad to see Apple sell out their customers and I keep hoping they will reverse course soon…

Reactions: velocityg4

q64ceo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
Sorry, but no. It's actually a slippery slope argument, which isn't necessarily a fallacy. An appeal to consequences fallacy is something quite a bit different. Appeal to consequence is a formal, or logical, fallacy. Slippery slope is (possibly) an informal fallacy.

Logical fallacies are apparent, or inarguable, because they clearly consist of flawed logic. E.g.: When the cock crows the sun rises, therefore the cock crowing causes the sun to rise. (Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc [this, therefore because of this], logical.) Informal fallacies may be arguable, because their truth, or lack thereof, depend upon whether or not there's been a misuse of language or evidence.

A slippery slope argument isn't always fallacious because labeling it as such begs the question, to wit: Are the predicted possible outcomes of the proposed action in fact entirely unlikely? (In the instant case I'd submit they are not.)

Nice try ;), but his argument is sound. You may disagree with the likelihood of the negative consequences he anticipates, but that doesn't make him necessarily wrong.

Thank you for the correction.

Reactions: jseymour
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.