Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miscend

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2009
So the gist of this thread is that Apple should build products in the US for political reasons over any compelling economic benefits.

Apple makes billions of dollars overseas and pays little or no tax in any of these countries. Personally I like the fact that they at least create plenty of jobs worldwide through their manufacturing and supply chains.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
The current state of Boeing seems to indicate that no, you can not.

People are complaining at the present base price of the new MP and XDR, imagine the tops spec models price for a base model configuration if built in the USA. Apple reports lack lustre sales and data people do not want or need Pro Macs. People complain that Apple does not care for the Pro market and is only focused on consumer toys. :p

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
So the gist of this thread is that Apple should build products in the US for political reasons over any compelling economic benefits.

Apple makes billions of dollars overseas and pays little or no tax in any of these countries. Personally I like the fact that they at least create plenty of jobs worldwide through their manufacturing and supply chains.

Apple is not the only company using the tax loopholes, maybe those should be fixed rather than complain about companies using them. :p

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
CEO of a publicly traded company where he has shareholders to answer to.

Telling shareholders Apple sells Mac Pro at a loss doesn't make sense

Claiming Apple would sell at a loss by dint of assembling them in the USA makes even less sense, esp for a very high-margin, low-volume product like the Mac Pro. Tim demonstrated horrible optics by moving production out of the USA. The money he saved was lost in bad press and attention from Trump.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
They're still building them. But unfortunately Boeing shares a trait with a lot of American companies - profit-driven corruption.
Ok sorry I should have been more specific.

Just like cars, you can “build them” but no one in their right mind wants to buy them except those who are irrationally patriotic to the point of ridiculousness.

Reactions: dazzer21-2

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
'Want to continue' is quite an interesting take from a CEO of one of if not the biggest brands out there... Just do it. ✔

Reactions: Huck

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Ok sorry I should have been more specific.

Just like cars, you can “build them” but no one in their right mind wants to buy them except those who are irrationally patriotic to the point of ridiculousness.

When those products are built in the USA by robots and minimal manpower and the cost of these products sky high these people will then complain that more humans should be part of the production process thus increasing prices even more, but hey jobs for a few for a short time till the company goes bankrupt because only a few can afford it to pay those wages and benefits. :p

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
'Want to continue' is quite an interesting take from a CEO of one of if not the biggest brands out there... Just do it. ✔

Only a limited amount of things are built 100% in USA, though this is growing even the trash can MP has parts from a global market so it is technically not 100% built in the USA. :p

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
Really? You're saying money can't buy qualified labor and facilities? We can build jetliners in the USA but we can't assemble the components of a computer here?
People (Non-Pro users) are already complaining about the price of the New Mac Pro. If they manufactured all of their products in the USA and the prices were raised accordingly, those same people would have a heart attack.

The same people wanting more jobs in America are some of the same ones fighting in the aisles to get a cheap TV on Black Friday. They don’t want to pay more than they have to.

And we all need to get used to it: Apple is a business with publicly held stock, which bonuses its top people with stock. Unfortunately it’s beholden to Wall Street, who doesn’t care about innovation or making less profit (let alone loss leaders) just to produce items in the U.S., lower prices, or allow for user repairs/upgrades.

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
A perfect example of great American can do attitude.

Don’t worry that it has a systemic problem that kills people. Keep pumping them out.

Ford and GM would be proud.

I don't disagree with you, but the point is if we can build jetliners (irrespective of their design flaws and software problems) then we can certainly assembly commodity parts of a computer system here too. MacBooks are currently assembled overseas and they're riddled with design issues too.

miscend

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2009
Apple is not the only company using the tax loopholes, maybe those should be fixed rather than complain about companies using them. :p

That’s easier said than done. Any sort of international agreement to get rid of tax loopholes is years away. In any case there are good ethical and moral reasons to avoid not paying taxes.

Brandhouse

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2014
Does Trump (and his supporters) really believe that Americans want to assemble iPhones for minimum wage pay? There's a reason these companies outsource work.

Agree, ideology always takes over the reality, especially in a global economy.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
1..nobody said they are making iphone at minimum wage. heck, Apple don't even pay workers in China to make iphone at minimal wage.

2... ...and that's the whole point of tariff.

The average wage for a Chinese factory worker has increased 3 folds, hence companies are looking for more affordable and profitable options in other countries.

Tariffs are paid by the buyer not the seller. If the same item cost $2k to be built in the USA and it cost $300 to build elsewhere even with a double tariff it would cost $600 to import vice actually building it in USA. :p
[doublepost=1564529250][/doublepost]
It’s still grounded.

I am aware. ;)

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I don't disagree with you, but the point is if we can build jetliners (irrespective of their design flaws and software problems) then we can certainly assembly commodity parts of a computer system here too. MacBooks are currently assembled overseas and they're riddled with design issues too.

Given that Boeing are also the makers of a plane that has to be rebooted once a month to prevent it falling out of the sky I really just don’t agree that there is any argument to be made for America being particularly good at building anything.

thomasthegps

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
France
As many others have done, I've disassembled Macbooks, iPhones and other mobile devices from different brands belonging to me and family members to fix cracked screens, change lcds, change micro usb ports... Assembling the parts back together is very straightforward. It requires absolutely zero technical skills. Anyone with half a brain and a couple of screw drivers can assemble a Macbook, iPhone or any Android phone given the parts.

The whole notion that apple can't find people capable of doing this type of work in the US is simply utter nonsense and anyone who has done repair work on MacBooks, iPhones already knows this.

The real question is: Can they find people in the US willing to do this type of work for $500/month?

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
Given that Boeing are also the makers of a plane that has to be rebooted once a month to prevent it falling out of the sky I really just don’t agree that there is any argument to be made for America being particularly good at building anything.

You're conflating designing with the ability to build something. They're building the planes just fine. They just used a flawed, cost-cutting design.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.