Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
the thing is, no,Apple does not need to pander to share holders

incorrect. Steve Jobs avoided doing a full television set because quote: "TV is a terrible business. They don't turn over and the margins suck", however the user experience could be so much better if Apple did make one.

and Apple releases an iPhone every year, even if the upgrades aren't big.

and how do you explain that time where they released new MacBook Pros, and then 3 months later, announced new graphics options? why not wait 3 months until you can get all options available? it's obvious they needed to sell MacBooks at a particular timetable while they wait for their suppliers to get it together.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
incorrect. Steve Jobs avoided doing a full television set because quote: "TV is a terrible business. They don't turn over and the margins suck", however the user experience could be so much better if Apple did make one.

and Apple releases an iPhone every year, even if the upgrades aren't big.

and how do you explain that time where they released new MacBook Pros, and then 3 months later, announced new graphics options? why not wait 3 months until you can get all options available? it's obvious they needed to sell MacBooks at a particular timetable while they wait for their suppliers to get it together.

But i'm not sure how that relates to my comment.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Or before you add a $999 for the stand ;)
Don’t buy the products. I was jus watching a 1999 Steve Jobs video where they debuted the 14 inch PowerBook. The 8 gb model was $3500.00. In 1999. Their prices have always been exorbitant and over the top. I know Tim Apple acts all SJW, but Apple is and always been Uber expensive and the people assembling the products have always been paid a pittance in comparison to us.

I don’t think they see it the same way we do and you have to understand they live and work in a different culture and a radically different government and social system than us in the West. We’re arrogant and a bit short sighted to compare their existence with ours, despite how self righteous it makes us feel. Apples and oranges.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
you said "Apple does not need to pander to share holders"

i gave you three scenarios where Apple pandered to share holders.

Yes, They DID pander.

They don't have to. They do. but they dont have to.

different arguments entirely. you're not wrong though.

Sodium Chloride

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2017
Self sufficiency is the road to poverty.

Any countries who tried to be self sufficient, made everything on their own, protected their domestic business from competitions through protectionism, would inevitably be poor. The Soviet Union is a pretty good example.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
When Apple goes bankrupt because these same people do not want to buy $2k base model phones to be built in the USA is when they will chant Cook is the worst CEO yet and is no supply management guru, there is no logic in a ridiculous discussion. :p

I have but 1 valid argument about him being a supply chain guru:

Cancelling the iPhone X va continuing it in production alongside the XS/XS Max yet at a reduced price vs spending R&D for an LCD Xr model. Three models using the same OLED panel would have reduced cost on all 3.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
The way I figure it is anyone who requires an all powerful being to command them not to kill or steal under threat of punishment probably isn’t very ethical in the first place.
I don’t think the only thing stopping Christians from going on a murderous homicide spree is a line in the Bible.

I think it’s a little vile you feel that way about Christians.

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Yes, They DID pander.

They don't have to. They do. but they dont have to.

different arguments entirely. you're not wrong though.

so you're saying they did because they want to? i disagree. this creates unnecessary stress among the team and suppliers. pretty sure they would rather just release products whenever it's ready.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Ridiculously high margins, you can afford it Timmy.
You think people are going to spend thousands while Apple has another company build them?
They should tell Apple to go screw themselves

Cancelled
Feb 27, 2014
This is Revisionist history. Do you feel feel the same about Japan’s involvement?
Not revisionist at all. It was fine for Japan to take a pacifist approach to their country in the 10 years following WWII. But now, despite economic woes over the past couple of decade, Japan is a world power (at least an economic one) and needs to do more for their own defense.

I do not hold today's Japanese, Germans, or Italians accountable for what occurred 75 years ago--these were the wars of our grandfathers. I like Japan, Germany, and Italy and consider them to be allies. But they have recovered from ravages of WWII and need to take their place on the world stage. And part of taking their place of the world stage is stop feeding off the teat the United States. I want these countries to be strong economically and militarily so that together we can fend off the challenges to democracy.

Don

Last edited:

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
i doubt that. refusing to buy an iPhone to make a political statement isn't going make a huge dent in sales.

And you're basing that on what exactly? People elected a clown as our President to make a political statement. They're certainly capable of forgoing a discretionary purchase for the same reason.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
so you're saying they did because they want to? i disagree. this creates unnecessary stress among the team and suppliers. pretty sure they would rather just release products whenever it's ready.

No, they catered to stock just like large companies do. Higher stock value tends to directly benefit executives and a small minority of investors over the overall economics.

I'm really confused over the line of questioning though. it's like you were trying to say that I don't think Jobs didn't cater to it as well. He absolutely did to an extent. Remember, his salary was only $1 and his worth was almost entirely stock based as well.

I am only not discussing Jobs because he's not the one currently alive and making a fuss about being unable to manufacture in local markets.

if Jobs were alive and saying this duplicitous ********, I'd be calling him out for it too. your line of questioning really doesn't seem to have a point other than you're trying to be oppositional for oppositional sake... So I"m not sure what to make of your comments.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Not revisionist at all. It was fine for Japan to take a pacifist approach to their country in the 10 years following WWII. But now, despite economic woes over the past couple of decade, Japan is a world power (at least an economic one) and needs to do more for their own defense.

I do not hold today's Japanese, Germans, or Italians accountable for what occurred 75 years ago--these were the wars of our grandfathers. I like Japan, Germany, and Italy and consider them to be allies. But they have recovered from ravages of WWII and need to take their place on the world stage. And part of taking their place of the world stage is stop feeding off the teat the United States. I want these countries to be strong economically and militarily so that together we can fend off the challenges to democracy.

Don
This is well said.
[doublepost=1564537844][/doublepost]
And you're basing that on what exactly? People elected a clown as our President to make a political statement. They're certainly capable of forgoing a discretionary purchase for the same reason.
I think a lot of people voted for Donald Trump because the alternative made them gag. If there was a "statement," it was them saying they didn’t want Her Highness as president.
[doublepost=1564537906][/doublepost]
Ridiculously high margins, you can afford it Timmy.
You think people are going to spend thousands while Apple has another company build them?
They should tell Apple to go screw themselves
It’s my understanding they shoot for 30% margins. Does that sound accurate to everyone?
[doublepost=1564538041][/doublepost]
Self sufficiency is the road to poverty.

Any countries who tried to be self sufficient, made everything on their own, protected their domestic business from competitions through protectionism, would inevitably be poor. The Soviet Union is a pretty good example.
Not many countries have the resources to be completely self sufficient. I believe two do currently.

heov

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2002
Mr. Cook is the CEO of a $960 Billion company. If he truly wants to make the Mac Pro in the USA then he certainly has the authority and resources to make that happen. Actions speak louder than lip service.
How long do you think he'll stay CEO if profits drop?

mikethemartian

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2017
Melbourne, FL
I don’t think the only thing stopping Christians from going on a murderous homicide spree is a line in the Bible.

I think it’s a little vile you feel that way about Christians.
I just don’t have respect for any group of people who profess to have higher morals collectively than other groups yet when times are upon us that test those very ethics they have no problem discarding them aside and when challenged on that they resort to claiming they are persecuted.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I have but 1 valid argument about him being a supply chain guru:

Cancelling the iPhone X va continuing it in production alongside the XS/XS Max yet at a reduced price vs spending R&D for an LCD Xr model. Three models using the same OLED panel would have reduced cost on all 3.
Nobody would’ve bought the XS if they did that. Max, sure, but why buy the small one when you can have a very similar last year’s model at a nice discount?
[doublepost=1564538853][/doublepost]
I just don’t have respect for any group of people who profess to have higher morals collectively than other groups yet when times are upon us that test those very ethics they have no problem discarding them aside and when challenged on that they resort to claiming they are persecuted.
When people say anti-Christian bigotry is just a myth, I will make sure to link them over here.

v3rlon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
Earth (usually)
Really? You're saying money can't buy qualified labor and facilities? We can build jetliners in the USA but we can't assemble the components of a computer here?
As someone who works in manufacturing in the US, where we produce parts so competitively that our Chinese competitors cannot match our prices while paying better than minimum wage, I am inclined to agree.

You can hate on Tim. You can hate on Don. You can hate on the USA. But, if you don't think we can manufacture a decent product here, pay people a decent wage, and still keep the end product reasonably priced, you're just objectively wrong (like "the Earth is flat" is wrong).

I am not saying America is perfect, corporations aren't greedy, or that every manufacturing job is a dream, but it is certainly possible to make good products here, and Apple certainly has the resources. Now, apply for the exemption and then making this statement does sound like walking back after getting a firm denial from big orange.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
I was just re-reading your original post.

You said “The way I figure it is anyone who requires an all powerful being to command them not to kill or steal under threat of punishment probably isn’t very ethical in the first place.”

I mean, you just said, in so many words, the only thing stopping an entire group of people from murdering or stealing is a commandment from God.

Just wow. Ergo, all Christians are murdering liars but for a commandment from God saying no.

Imagine if you said that about Muslims, Jews or blacks or insert group here.

I’m glad I don’t hold views like that. If I did, I’d seriously reconsider my life and maybe some if the choices that got me here.

Best of luck to you.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I think that’s sort of it. I’m not sure Tim Apple is personally greedy, but he’s dancing to the investors’ tune in a way maybe Jobs wouldn’t.

I'd like to believe so.

Need to find it again, I had found a report that claimed that Tim Cook's stock options when they vest, has metrics pegged to it. If the stock price on the market is at a certain value on that day, he gets X amount more as bonus.

This ties him to be directly benefitted to prop up the stock price as high as possible for his own personal wealth. Since He's not actually paid directly by Apple's actual performance, and its' directly related to stock, it is a bit like a conflict of interest. His decision making is clearly going to be on maximizing the opinions of Apple stock on the open market and not necessarily towards product decisions.

Or more like those product decisions are keyed to maximization of short term value for stock market gain rather than maximizing value of the products for the consumer.

that rubs me wrong. it's avarice. and it's greasy.

Reactions: Huck
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.