Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
so what is the payback for shareholders with this? Its still a publicly traded company Tim

Google announced something similar earlier in the year: https://www.blog.google/inside-google/company-announcements/1-billion-investment-bay-area-housing/

Its gotten to the point its definately an issue attracting talent - even with the high salaries employees can't afford lifestyles they can in other metros. Not everyone has $400,000 sitting around for down payment on a moderate house near the office, and they'd probably be out bid by a cash offer anyways. If they want people to stay and raise a family in bay area, these large tech firms need affordable housing. Otherwise they just end up with churn.

Reactions: z4co and The Man

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
so what is the payback for shareholders with this? Its still a publicly traded company Tim

It is up to the shareholders to boot Tim if they don't like how Apple is being run.

I wonder if all this includes a free lifetime subscription to Apple TV+ :) ?

Based on many of the replies, I'm wondering why this news story / discussion wasn't posted in PRSI ?

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Consume
Live in Containers
Don't Have Kids

How about limiting immigration both legal and illegal so the native-born residents (also legal and illegal who came here last year and the year before) don't have to compete with more persons, both in jobs and housing.

Artifically deflating the 'Housing Crisis' with subsides while at the same time supporting mass immigration won't solve anything and will increase your taxes down the line.

Last edited:

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Sales of iPhones are dwarfed by sales of Android phones, and sales of Macs are dwarfed by sales of PCs. Apple needs to do something to win those people over if they’re to continue growing.

Yes, but what are the profits on all those Android phones? What are the profits on all those non-Apple PCs? Growth isn't the only thing investors care about. Sometimes growth is weighted more than profitability but profitability matters and sometimes matters more than growth.

Reactions: mech986

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
On the one hand the value of this to shareholders is negligible, on the other so is the money spent on Apple shows and the housing at least comes with a bit of 'feel good'.

Reactions: mech986

Bin Cook

Suspended
Jun 16, 2018
I don’t think it’s linked directly to Trump. He’ll run for CA governor.

Maybe, I was thinking along the lines of if a Dem wins 2020 then he won't go against the incumbent. Plus assumed he had designs on the biggest job, but CA might be enough to satisfy his ambitions.

wschutz

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Perhaps Gavin Newsom can spend less taxpayer money on illegal aliens and use the money on Americans in need.

"Americans" are humans beings as so are those aliens.
You don't know anything about the stories and lives that led those aliens to the situation they are in today but racism is unfortunately screwing up your judgement.

Last edited:

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
If they paid a fair rate of tax (ie not practically nothing) in my State/Country they would have more funds for social housing too.

Paying tax should not be voluntary, Apple! As individuals we can’t get away with it. Why should Apple?

Do you know anyone who pays more tax than they are legally obliged? I certainly don't!

Reactions: mech986 and chabig

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
Gotta get those housing prices down... Maybe Apple should move their HQ to a state other than California which has lower housing prices and taxes. I am sure many other states and communities would greatly desire Apple to move there and would give them all kinds of tax breaks and incentives to relocate.

That would be a disaster. Tech companies in Silicon Valley and the San Francisco Bay Area in general have been relying on on their unique proximity to universities (Stanford, UC Berkeley, Santa Clara, San Jose, etc) with a well-developed junior college system, along with fast-paced start-ups, who have fueled technology growth with local talent in the area for more than 60 years.

It's also a great place to live.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.