Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I moved to California a few years ago - yes my mortgage doubled - yes I pay higher taxes - BUT I never need to shovel snow anymore- I can go to the beach 365 days a year - Awesome mass transit, I can get there faster than driving my electric car. - I can get direct flights pretty much anywhere in the world - I can order anything I need and get it the same day or the next. But the best part I am making 4 times what I made before. California has the 5th largest economy and very low unemployment rate - you can quit your job in the snoring and get a new one in the afternoon. This nation needs to elect more liberal governments b/c it sure has not hurt California.

Agree with all of the above. I would not want to live anywhere else in the US. And love the SF Bay Area in particular.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I know you’re being sarcastic but the reality is, some people love to use the term “illegal aliens” to refer to immigrants because it makes them seem less like human beings, less like... what’s that word we use... oh right. Less like “people”.

Yeah, I knew what the guy meant. Just find it funny because most people would associate Aliens with living creatures that originate out of this world. And by world I don't mean USA, but the entire planet ;)

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
I think $2.5 billion in U-haul rentals ought to clean up the California homeless problem.

You're joking, but California is mostly a desert that is only inhabitable by 10's of millions of people because they have multiple nuclear power plants pumping water from underground aquifers into the densely packed cities. It is not a sustainable model and it's right now breaking down. Look at the pictures you can see of the unbuilt regions 50 miles from Cupertino. They really are desert wastelands.

Building more housing and continuing to expect more and more people to live in the irrigated desert is a horrible idea.

The aquifers are running dry which is why there's so many droughts the past few years, forest fires are getting worse because the state is drying out even more. It's even worse because the state uses their dwindling water supply to grow water-intesive cash crops for export across the pacific. A major power disruption like the East Coast had in 2004 would lead to millions of deaths in California because the water pumps would stop.

If Apple had really wanted to help, they would have built the space ship in the rust belt.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
by world I don't mean USA, but the entire planet
Apparently for some people those are one in the same.
[automerge]1572892221[/automerge]
“Alien“ is the official term.
“Illegal alien” is not a legal term, and that’s the phrase I was referring to. It’s deliberately used by some because it’s dehumanising.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: chucker23n1

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
Apparently for some people those are one in the same.
[automerge]1572892221[/automerge]

“Illegal alien” is not a legal term, and that’s the phrase I was referring to. It’s deliberately used by some because it’s dehumanising.
Wrong.

The Court uses the phrases "illegal immigrant" and "illegal alien" interchangeably. The word ‘immigrant’ is not used in the manner in which it is defined in Title 8 of the United States Code unless it is so designated. The Court also understands that there is a certain segment of the population that finds the phrase "illegal alien" offensive. The Court uses this term because it is the term used by the Supreme Court in its latest pronouncement pertaining to this area of the law. See Arizona v. United States, 132 S. Ct. 2492, 2497

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas

Of course it is a legal term.
See 8 US Code 1635 for example. There are also quite a few common law opinions that use the term.
There is nothing derogatory in using “alien” (even if legal or illegal is attached to it).

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
The problem with lowering housing prices is that it would screw over everyone that currently owns a house. We saw this in the last housing crash where prices dropped and people owed more than the house was worth.

That sometimes happens. However, a move like this one by Apple is more likely to help stabilize prices than to lower them.

House prices should always go up,

Ha, no. It's an investment like any other. You buy into the investment, you accept the risks.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Of course it is a legal term.

Ahem. https://www.politifact.com/texas/st...-mccraw/illegal-alien-legal-term-federal-law/

The term appears--yet scarcely--in federal law. Best we can tell, though, no law defines the term as referring to all individuals living in the U.S. without legal authorization. Where the term does appear, it’s undefined or part of an introductory title or limited to apply to certain individuals convicted of felonies.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
We'll see if pumping a couple billion dollars into the system will bring prices down.

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
"Alien" is a legally recognized word, there's no question about that (sorry lefties) but the way the right always uses it just... comes off in a superior and dehumanizing tone.

Also, what about someone who is currently illegal but actively trying to become a citizen? You people love to talk about how star-spangled great America is, yet not give someone the time of day because they happen to ask for it with an accent. It is a PATH to citizenship that can take years to cross the finish line for some of these folks, all the while they're bussing the tables and picking up the trash of people like you who are constantly putting them down. It's just sad. And ironic. You know because of the whole "party of Christian and family values" bunk you're always peddling.

Reactions: Stephen.R

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
And yet there is no definition of it, in the way people are using it here.

It is defined by the US Government (Homeland Security), by 8 US Code 1365 para b, by the INA Act Section 274, by the United States Citizenship and Naturalization Services in its Definitions and Glossary, by the Internal Revenue Services' Definitions and Glossary, by several Courts of Appeals, and it is defined also by the Supreme Court (notable the US v Arizona of 2012 in which "Illegal Alien" is used dozens of times with liberal Sotomayor's concurrence), Presidential Executive Orders (Executive Order No. 12807 for example) and so on.

You still haven't made your case. "Alien" is a legal term used hundreds if not thousands of times. "Illegal" is certainly a status used thousands of times under the law. "Illegal Alien" is used tens if not hundreds of times in both the law and legal discourses. What's the dehumanization part? Illegal? Alien? what?

Reactions: Huck

tylersdad

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
US spends money on illegal extraterrestrials?

In a sorry attempt to make yourself appear funny, you've done the opposite. You do realize that the word, alien, has many meanings, don't you?
[automerge]1572895701[/automerge]
"Americans" are humans beings as so are those aliens.
You don't know anything about the stories and lives that led those aliens to the situation they are in today but racism is unfortunately screwing up your judgement.

We don't know about the stories because they don't matter. To say they do means you are fine with the notion that the ends always justify the means. They don't.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
You still haven't made your case.
I made my case when I linked you to an article that researched the matter extensively and presented its conclusions. If you don’t want to believe/agree with that, I’m not going to waste my time trying to convince you.
"Alien" is a legal term used hundreds if not thousands of time.
literally no one questioned this.

"Illegal" is certainly a status used thousands of times under the law.
Again no one questions this.

"Illegal Alien" is used tens if not hundreds of times in both the law and legal discourses.
The article I linked indicates otherwise in terms of legal definition. That’s literally my point. The only definition for it in federal law, isn’t what you lot keep using it to mean.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
The article I linked indicates otherwise in terms of legal definition. That’s literally my point. The only definition for it in federal law, isn’t what you lot keep using it to mean.

I've read the article you quoted, probably even before than you did. It's a well known article for those interested in immigration more than once in a blue moon or an election cycle. It doesn't disprove anything I said, and it doesn't prove your "dehumanizing" argument in the least. It simply tackles the situation by claiming that it's not that much of a popular term (mind you, I don't like it myself).
Again. Illegal is not dehumanizing. Alien is not dehumanizing. Both have been used in conjunction multiple times including in SCOTUS dockets by "liberal" and "conservative" judges alike and even those lawyers that were "defending" the illegal aliens.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I've read the article you quoted, probably even before than you did. It's a well known article for those interested in immigration more than once in a blue moon or an election cycle. It doesn't disprove anything I said, and it doesn't prove your "dehumanizing" argument in the least. It simply tackles the situation by claiming that it's not that much of a popular term (mind you, I don't like it myself).
Again. Illegal is not dehumanizing. Alien is not dehumanizing. Both have been used in conjunction multiple times including in SCOTUS dockets by "liberal" and "conservative" judges alike and even those lawyers that were "defending" the illegal aliens.

I think the problem is you''re both kind of talking past eachother.

From a legal, purely analytical standpoint, yes "Illegal Alien" is a normal term that is worldwide generally recognised to be description of those who are alien with illegal status.

However, under modern populism and political climate, it's become a euphamism for "inferior" people. and is often used to dehumanize and demonize them as human beings

and before you can argue that point, I recommend highly reading a few of the posters in this thread who have very much done exactly that. Taken that they are "illegal" and immediately deemed them inferior human beings they don't have to care about. Even to the point of violating those peoples human rights.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
and before you can argue that point, I recommend highly reading a few of the posters in this thread who have very much done exactly that. Taken that they are "illegal" and immediately deemed them inferior human beings they don't have to care about. Even to the point of violating those peoples human rights.

True, but you also have to agree that people who want to dehumanize humans will use any available term. That's not a reason to claim that whoever uses it is dehumanizing. I have been told that even the word "boy" can be used in that sense. Best thing - in my opinion - is to focus less on this type of issues and more on the policies that have to be fixed (aliens or not, the US immigration system is a mess even for those who immigrate legally).

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
It doesn't disprove anything I said, and it doesn't prove your "dehumanizing" argument in the least.

‘Alien’ may be a technical term of art, but ‘illegal alien’ is almost always pejorative in contemporary usage.
Maybe we should start referring to all Americans of European descent as “alien invaders” and see how much you like that term?

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
True, but you also have to agree that people who want to dehumanize humans will use any available term. That's not a reason to claim that whoever uses it is dehumanizing. I have been told that even the word "boy" can be used in that sense. Best thing - in my opinion - is to focus less on this type of issues and more on the policies that have to be fixed (aliens or not, the US immigration system is a mess even for those who immigrate legally).

Yes they will. That's why I'm really not one of those to get up in arms over using "Illegal Aliens" or "irregular immigrants". both work fine.

Those people who are so full of hate that they will look down on someone as inferior based off where they're born, or colour of their skin, or whatever, will find whatever wording they can to fit their narrative without outing themselves for the hateful bigots they are.

I think we all need to stop playing the semantic battle and start looking at the issues themselves. While also not being afraid to call out racist neo-nazi's and facists for what they are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.