Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In January, Apple launched its Racial Equity and Justice Initiative in the United States with the goal of "building a more just, more equitable world " and an initial commitment of $100 million. Today, the company is recommitting an extra $30 million to the initiative.

apple-racial-equity-and-justice.jpg

In a press release, Apple says that the added $30 million will support students, innovators, and communities takes charge in creating a more inclusive world.
Apple today announced $30 million in new commitments as part of its Racial Equity and Justice Initiative (REJI), supporting students, innovators, and advocacy organizations that are leading the charge in creating a more inclusive, more just world. These new projects include a Global Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) Equity Innovation Hub; expanded education initiatives for community colleges and Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs); a new cohort of the Apple Entrepreneur Camp immersive tech lab for Hispanic/Latinx founders and developers; and funding for leaders working to advance criminal justice reform and environmental justice.
Alongside the added commitment, Apple is also partnering with California State University to launch a new "Global HSI Equity Innovation Hub" that will work to expand access to education to typically underprivileged students. The new hub will launch as a partnership between Apple, CSU, and the state of California.
Apple's commitment will support the initiative's main location on the California State University, Northridge campus near Los Angeles, and provide Apple technology, design support, and thought partnership as the project expands. The partnership will launch equity-centered programming focused on transforming HSIs throughout the CSU and across the nation. It also seeks to expand by establishing regional HSI Equity Innovation hubs at affiliate colleges and universities, and through partnerships with national organizations committed to advancing this work.
In addition, Apple is also expanding its work with Tennessee State University and several other organizations and community colleges to "implement programs that will help incarcerated and paroled individuals learn new skills and work to prevent recidivism."

Article Link: Apple Commits Extra $30 Million to Racial Equity and Justice Initiative

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
I’ve had enough of apples woke pandering now, im sorry but this is racist, it’s nothing to do with skin colour it’s to do with hard work, the best person for the job, giving money to a certain race only is racist in its self; but that’s all im gonna say; I know on this forum there are decent people like my self with honest views but there are also the woke left type that think blm was needed

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
It's all very well handing out money to support the odd natural disaster and taking the moral high-ground with 'racial injustices', but what about other charities or causes that are in need of funding for development?

To me at least, Apple comes off as a little two-faced about what causes it actually supports and those that are a good fit for its brand image.

Case in point; they release a press statement about a year back finger-wagging that there were too few BAME employees. Okay. So is the finger being pointed at the employer for segregation, or are less of those people in question just interested in that particular industry?

There are plenty of other causes to support, yet somehow they don't fit Apple's need to make people feel guilty. WWF supports wildlife and climate causes... The American Skin Association helps those battling all manner of illness... Unicef does a lot too... Apple may well donate to plenty of charities, but do they get a press release?

There is also the irony that Apple allows employees to work in terrible conditions just to sell products to a Western audience that Apple convinces they want, not need.

Last edited:

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I’ve had enough of apples woke pandering now, im sorry but this is racist, it’s nothing to do with skin colour it’s to do with hard work, the best person for the job, giving money to a certain race only is racist in its self; but that’s all im gonna say; I know on this forum there are decent people like my self with honest views but there are also the woke left type that think blm was needed

Agreed. I think just about everyone would agree all people should be treated fairly and equally.

But equality of outcome where we start to aim for certain quotas is inherently unfair.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
It's all very well handing out money to support the odd natural disaster and taking the moral high-ground with 'racial injustices', but what about other charities? To me at least, Apple comes off as a little two-faced about what causes it actually supports and that which look good for its brand image.

After all, WWF supports wildlife and climate causes... The American Skin Association helps those battling all manner of illness... Unicef does a lot too...

Maybe you could write Apple requesting a list of the charitable organizations it contributes to?

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
Check that Apple leadership page… Looks very white to me.
Diversity inclusion does not mean promoting tokens into leadership. It means hiring people on their merit and that could mean a whole company of while people or black people or brown or any other ethnicity. I am reminded yearly that I need to hire more female programmers and more diversity, yet I can't ask the two to three dozen candidates to change their gender and melanin levels so we can be more inclusive. The population is pasty white round here and female programmers are non existent by the looks of it, even if someone does turn up, they still have to be a better programmer than the other candidates for interview.

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
I don't like this phrase but I'm gonna say it: This is virtue signaling. Pure & simple. As aforementioned what about China? And the Uighurs? Go woke, go broke. Get this culture of wokeness out of Apple & let's encourage Apple to get its assembly of products out of China.
There is a difference between working out and solving issues in your own country and then something as deplorable as to push your views on another culture that rightfully "has a different definition of democracy". China and the USA will both eventually get workers rights and up to the standards of the developed world. It will happen by the will of the peoples of those nations, not by it being forced on them. You can't go to China and force them all to now earn $50,000 a year, support workers rights, and eat hamburgers. Nor can you go to the USA and force them to get workers rights, democracy, something of a social system, and universal healthcare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.