Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
:rolleyes:

Oh, God, this probably isn't worth it, but, oh well.

IISC_EqualityEquity.png

Silly nonsense. By this logic, Usain Bolt should be kneecapped.

Reactions: wills11

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Silly nonsense. By this logic, Usain Bolt should be kneecapped.
I would have thought that you'd be able to understand that sporting competitions ≠ the opportunity for a person to create a better life for themselves. By your messed up logic, need-based scholarships shouldn't be given to those who simply can't afford to go to school. After all, that's not equal, either. What a dumb take.

• Disagree
Reactions: jk73

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
I would have thought that you'd be able to understand that sporting competitions ≠ the opportunity for a person to create a better life for themselves. By your messed up logic, need-based scholarships shouldn't be given to those who simply can't afford to go to school. After all, that's not equal, either. What a dumb take.

How does eliminating advanced math and science classes create the “opportunity for a person to create a better life for themselves”? The “equity” crowd wants to intellectually kneecap smarter kids just like in my Usain Bolt example. Amoral monsters.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
How does eliminating advanced math and science classes create the “opportunity for a person to create a better life for themselves”? The “equity” crowd wants to intellectually kneecap smarter kids just like in my Usain Bolt example. Amoral monsters.
Show me where in the image I posted anyone being kneecapped? Jesus, man...

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
Show me where in the image I posted anyone being kneecapped? Jesus, man...

Your image was a silly and overly simplistic example of a short person needing a stool. That’s it. The situation in your image is not analogous to, e.g., eliminating advanced math and advanced science classes in the name of “equity.” Trying to narrow the “achievement gap” by retarding the progress of smarter kids is amoral and counterproductive.

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
equity=if people don't end up with the same end result, there was something systemically causing that. Equality=everyone gets to play by the same rules and freedoms, but individual choices determine end result.
Exactly if two people differing in race or ethnicity only, can't get the same opportunity and end result given the same qualifications then something is systemically wrong.

We have shown in the US that is the case. How many studies have to be done to show the the 100 years between the end of the civil war and the 1960s still has an affect in institutions and attitudes even in 2021? From policing, banking, home appraisals. People of color get outcomes that are not the same as their white counterparts, even when exceeding the qualifications.

Equality is we all play by the same rules as stated. The problem is the rules aren't applied equally to all.

But I'm going to walk away from this discussion. I've already marked about 5 or 6 on this thread to "ignore" because....

"For those that believe no explanation is necessary. For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

I think that applies here. There are people that either believe that systemic injustice in America still exists or they don't. Nothing can be said who don't believe.......... (Mic drop... Feedback)

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
Exactly if two people differing in race or ethnicity only, can't get the same opportunity and end result given the same qualifications then something is systemically wrong.

We have shown in the US that is the case. How many studies have to be done to show the the 100 years between the end of the civil war and the 1960s still has an affect in institutions and attitudes even in 2021? From policing, banking, home appraisals. People of color get outcomes that are not the same as their white counterparts, even when exceeding the qualifications.

Equality is we all play by the same rules as stated. The problem is the rules aren't applied equally to all.

But I'm going to walk away from this discussion. I've already marked about 5 or 6 on this thread to "ignore" because....

"For those that believe no explanation is necessary. For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

I think that applies here. There are people that either believe that systemic injustice in America still exists or they don't. Nothing can be said who don't believe.......... (Mic drop... Feedback)

Now do Africa vs. Europe in any year over the past 2,000. Has Europe always been centuries ahead of Africa due to systemic racism?

LOL.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Your image was a silly and overly simplistic example of a short person needing a stool. That’s it. The situation in your image is not analogous to, e.g., eliminating advanced math and advanced science classes in the name of “equity.” Trying to narrow the “achievement gap” by retarding the progress of smarter kids is amoral and counterproductive.
Yes. Thank you. You recognize that the image I posted in no way had anything to do with eliminating advanced math and science classes. Congratulations.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
Yes. Thank you. You recognize that the image I posted in no way had anything to do with eliminating advanced math and science classes. Congratulations.

Great. Do you now recognize that the image you posted was totally irrelevant to the discussion? Nobody here argued against stools for short people.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
And who is arguing against advanced math curriculum? That argument has been a whataboutism from the beginning.

Leftists everywhere, that’s who. It’s not the mouth-breathing Trump voters demanding that entrance exams and advanced classes be eliminated.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
Oh, so you mean, not me? Got it. As my 3-year-old daughter says, "whabout-whabout-whabout?"

Was anyone here arguing against stools for short people? What point did you believe you were making with the silly image you posted?

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Was anyone here arguing against stools for short people? What point did you believe you were making with the silly image you posted?
The point of the image is that equity is about giving people what they need to give them the potential to achieve the same result. Equality is giving people the same things where the result is either irrelevant or not the focus.

I responded directly to no one. I was posting the image in a general context in a thread about equity.

You, however, responded directly to me, asking me about kneecapping olympic sprinters and why other imaginary people – that is, no one in this entire thread – are against advanced math curriculum.

If you don't understand the difference, I can't help you.

Carry on with your logical fallacies.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
The point of the image is that equity is about giving people what they need to give them the potential to achieve the same result. Equality is giving people the same things where the result is either irrelevant or not the focus.

I responded directly to no one. I was posting the image in a general context in a thread about equity.

You, however, responded directly to me, asking me about kneecapping olympic sprinters and why other imaginary people – that is, no one in this entire thread – are against advanced math curriculum.

If you don't understand the difference, I can't help you.

Carry on with your logical fallacies.

I’ll ask again: How does eliminating advanced classes give “people what they need to give them the potential to achieve the same result”? Also, why would we want ”the same result” in the first place? Progress isn’t made by everyone yielding “the same result.”

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I’ll ask again: How does eliminating advanced classes give “people what they need to give them the potential to achieve the same result”? Also, why would we want ”the same result” in the first place? Progress isn’t made by everyone yielding “the same result.”
Ask someone else.

T Coma

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2015
Flyover Country, USA
Outstanding.

Here’s one of those non-hate crimes that barely makes the local news:

If the poor woman had called this dreg a name, it would have been national news.

I have family in Hegewisch. Well, used to, anyway. Here's another area that many, myself included, used to enjoy. When folks in the state I currently reside ask why I moved my family out of that city, I point them to items like this, which you will not see in the news, much less sparking riots internationally.

Two men are beaten and robbed in the middle of State Street as people walk by, drive past, and twerk up a storm (Video)

Hey Apple, can you please commit some money to "racial equity and justice" here?

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana

What rules would those be. Please identify what rule or law in the US is racist. You can argue class and effects poor more, but racist. Good luck.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Since when has this country done anything for equality? Everytime equality comes up there is some excuse from the status quo.

Also the only ones guilty of racism in America are/were white.

Your assertion is that everything is equal and it's not. A white guy with a suit still has the privilege in this society of being white.

If you think that white privilege doesn't still exist you are denying the truth. You need to look no further than housing appraisals in America where a Black person will get a lower appraisal just because the white appraiser saw a family photo of a Black family. That doesn't happen to white folks.

Red lining and predatory lending still happens in minority areas. Look no further than the Wells Fargo and BofA.

But if you want to somehow believe that the Apartheid institutions went away and everything is race neutral. If you want to believe that 100 years of access denied means nothing in the disproportionate wealth distribution between Black and white in America, you are kidding yourself again.

Here you have the continuous specious argument that Black and Latino have the same opportunity as whites in this country and racism no longer exists.

No point in talking to people with their heads in the sand. Marked as ignore.
I would reply but it would be like talking to a wall. If my head is in the sand yours is in the ether

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.