Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It's all very well handing out money to support the odd natural disaster and taking the moral high-ground with 'racial injustices', but what about other charities or causes that are in need of funding for development?

To me at least, Apple comes off as a little two-faced about what causes it actually supports and those that are a good fit for its brand image.

Case in point; they release a press statement about a year back finger-wagging that there were too few BAME employees. Okay. So is the finger being pointed at the employer for segregation, or are less of those people in question just interested in that particular industry?

There are plenty of other causes to support, yet somehow they don't fit Apple's need to make people feel guilty. WWF supports wildlife and climate causes... The American Skin Association helps those battling all manner of illness... Unicef does a lot too... Apple may well donate to plenty of charities, but do they get a press release?

There is also the irony that Apple allows employees to work in terrible conditions just to sell products to a Western audience that Apple convinces they want, not need.

you’re complaining on a thread about 1 topic yet have you spent the time on macrumors news or traversed through Apple’s Invester relations page?

there is ongoing partnership with Product(Red),
help with restauration of Notre Damn last year,
Hurricane and flooding and fire relief aids,

Environmental impacts

Other efforts

There are auite a large number, within reason, that Apple contributes to and has over the years. This is whataboutism kind of post because you state and issue yet no mention of trying to find an answer mentioned at all. Maybe you don’t know or maybe it’s what YOU CHOOSE to focus on evidently.

take the time start hunting to see if Apple does or doesn’t. Since you didn’t mention you have I nobody knows if you did.
I feel ever time Apple helps anything with racial equality or equity theres always negative posts or posts of why they don’t do this elsewhere etc. It’s about focus from within.

many have stated this is about Equality not Equity, yet one has to start and be achieved before the other (the latter) can take root. The fact this has to start shows just how unequal wealth equity has occurred, and it’s not just in the USA.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I understand what you're saying. However, diversity brings with it its own benefits that are more difficult to quantify. You mention you work in programming, so I'm reminded of the stories about training AI to recognize faces and the challenges some companies have had with correctly recognizing people of all skin colors. (Not to say that this is the issue you're having, of course, but just one related to your field.) If those companies had more diverse staffs, such issues probably would have been caught sooner.

If your company is committed to building a diverse workforce, then it would do what it takes to bring in that diversity (relocation bonuses, for instance). I'm not saying that you're doing something wrong, however.

lol, anyone remember Microsoft’s Xbox 360 camera always having issues with people of dark skin tones?!

this mention I’ve posted goes directly to what you’re saying quoted above and I totally agree. This isn’t just an industry issue it’s a global community issue!

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yes, that’s exactly what it means. Unless they can prove they merit the help through qualification of intelligence and meeting the standards for admission.
Herein is the status auo reinforcement.
a question was asked if a financial roadblock should determine whom should or should not go to college, this has nothing to do with intelligence or meeting standards for admission. Financial cost is the usual roadblock used to establish admission, not a good way to measure merit nor intelligence.

Reactions: JayMysterio

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
Herein is the status auo reinforcement.
a question was asked if a financial roadblock should determine whom should or should not go to college, this has nothing to do with intelligence or meeting standards for admission. Financial cost is the usual roadblock used to establish admission, not a good way to measure merit nor intelligence.
If “financial cost is the usual roadblock,” why are schools getting rid of entrance exams?

Silverstring

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
But ofc if you're a straight white male you get the usual "**** you" from Woke Apple
Yeah, totally:
274FECF0-0E2E-4A03-9811-311868C6F03B.png

• Haha
Reactions: alexandr

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
“Diversity is our strength.”
I agree.
But frail ego people that believe that helping others somehow hurts them.

It's no surprise, in our political and social climate, hate crimes against Black and Asian people are the highest in a decade and that white supremacists are even more vocal and dangerous. This is from FBI statistics.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
I agree.
But frail ego people that believe that helping others somehow hurts them.

It's no surprise, in our political and social climate, hate crimes against Black and Asian people are the highest in a decade and that white supremacists are even more vocal and dangerous. This is from FBI statistics.

If “diversity is our strength,” how come we keep lowering our standards? If “diversity is our strength,” how come people spend all day whining about racism while other very non-diverse countries are, e.g., going to space?

• Disagree
Reactions: SuperCachetes

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
If “diversity is our strength,” how come we keep lowering our standards? If “diversity is our strength,” how come people spend all day whining about racism while other very non-diverse countries are, e.g., going to space?

Lowering our standards by allowing racism to perpetuate? Talk to Mitch McConnell and his ilk in Washington. Won't do anything for voting rights.

Not whining about racism but indicating it does exist.

Oh, you mean like our country that sends heavy rockets to supply the space station.

You like specious arguments.
Anyway, no need to talk to you.

Last edited:

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
Lowering our standards by allowing racism to perpetuate? Talk to Mitch McConnell and his ilk in Washington. Won't do anything for voting rights.

Not whining about racism but indicating it does exist.

Oh, you mean like our country that sends heavy rockets to supply the space station.

You like specious arguments.
Anyway, no need to talk to you.

I’ll ask again: Why are high schools and colleges getting rid of entrance exams and advanced classes? How does advanced math for 8th graders ”perpetuate racism”?

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Apple is entitled to donate to causes it wants. It’s not responsible for the entire world. Or are you suggesting Apple shouldn’t do business in any local where there are inequities?
Yet at every single opportunity Apple sees fit to preach and lecture about causes and human rights til they're blue in the face like they are responsible for the entire world.

Reactions: jk73

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
I’ll ask again: Why are high schools and colleges getting rid of entrance exams and advanced classes? How does advanced math for 8th graders ”perpetuate racism”?

Entrance exams are not great indicators of college graduation or success in college. HSGPAs (high school GPAs) are a better predictor of performance. There are numerous studies that looked at GPA of HS students and graduation rates in college. They key indicator of success in college is preparedness. A test doesn't show that.

Someone having a bad or good test day is not a good indicator of success.

I have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to eliminating advanced classes where.I am. The opposite is true and with the expansion of AP classes,.co-enrollment in Jr Colleges is also an option. My daughter was enrolled in the JC taking college classes in HS. The classes counted as AP and college credit. Also fulfilled her HS requirements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.