Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
Entrance exams are not great indicators of college graduation or success in college. HSGPAs (high school GPAs) are a better predictor of performance. There are numerous studies that looked at GPA of HS students and graduation rates in college. They key indicator of success in college is preparedness. A test doesn't show that.

Math tests aren’t a good indicator of math ability? That’s funny.

I have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to eliminating advanced classes where.I am. The opposite is true and with the expansion of AP classes,.co-enrollment in Jr Colleges is also an option. My daughter was enrolled in the JC taking college classes in HS. The classes counted as AP and college credit. Also fulfilled her HS requirements.

You haven’t heard about this? There have been stories about this from coast to coast for several years now.

• Disagree
Reactions: SuperCachetes

Silverstring

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
They certainly are. You think Apple would give $30 mil to some organization that promotes whites?
Maybe, maybe not. Even if they wouldn’t, the mental gymnastics required to interpret a donation to an organization that doesn’t represent a particular group as a “**** you” to that group are Olympic-level.

Is a donation to UNICEF a “**** you” to adults? A donation to an elephant sanctuary a “**** you” to saving the whales?

As much of a ridiculous stretch as that line of thinking is alone, your claim reaches comic levels of absurdity when the org you claim is saying “**** you” to straight white males…is dominated by…straight white males. What a raw deal! (By the way, anyone reading who will try to focus only on this line and attempt some appeal to absurdity distraction like “so you’re saying companies can’t or shouldn’t ever be ‘straight white male dominated’?!?!”…don’t waste your time trying to append your own twisted interpretation to my words. No, I’m not saying that. I am saying that straight white males aren’t getting screwed. Not the same, so don’t try to ham-fistedly conflate them.)

Tell us, what do you think Apple would need to do to give straight white males their “just due”? Looking forward to your answer.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
Maybe, maybe not. Even if they wouldn’t, the mental gymnastics required to interpret a donation to an organization that doesn’t represent a particular group as a “**** you” to that group are Olympic-level.

Is a donation to UNICEF a “**** you” to adults? A donation to an elephant sanctuary a “**** you” to saving the whales?

As much of a ridiculous stretch as that line of thinking is alone, your claim reaches comic levels of absurdity when the org you claim is saying “**** you” to straight white males…is dominated by…straight white males. What a raw deal! (By the way, anyone reading who will try to focus only on this line and attempt some appeal to absurdity distraction like “so you’re saying companies can’t or shouldn’t ever be ‘straight white male dominated’?!?!”…don’t waste your time trying to append your own twisted interpretation to my words. No, I’m not saying that. I am saying that straight white males aren’t getting screwed. Not the same, so don’t try to ham-fistedly conflate them.)

Tell us, what do you think Apple would need to do to give straight white males their “just due”? Looking forward to your answer.

Asians are 6% of the U.S. population but 27% of Apple’s U.S. employees. How do you explain that?

Reactions: amartinez1660

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Nope. My parents made well over $250K yearly some 20 years ago. And I still didn’t have the funds to get me into college. I wish I had a scholarship like this for me but my parents made to much $$$. Crazy how that works

I couldn’t afford college. Therefore I didn’t go. I got past that obstacle and busted my butt and found a trade I like and now I make $150K a year.
Mind you my parents made very good money when I was younger. Over $250K yearly 20 years ago. It because my parents made good money and I was white I didn’t qualify for any “white” scholarships and my parents made to much $$$.
It’s funny I agree with some of the things you’ve said—I definitely am not for token placement, but that said, I do believe there needs to be an increased effort into getting things on a more even playing field.

see, even if your parents made lots of $$ and did not help with your college (so different from the folks I encounter that make much less given inflation and all… just spoke with a couple who make roughly $300k combined (again, today’s dollars not 20 years ago) and they’ve already committed to paying both kids’ college—full ride to a UC and another one is starting private this fall. They also are diligent with their savings and have low seven figures in liquid.

you were brought up in a surrounding where you had access whether direct or indirect (skills, soft or hard) advantages that say, someone who grew up in a household where the parents are paycheck to paycheck and definitely couldn’t afford to send their child to college but because they lived in an ultra high cost of living area, they made “too much” money as well for the child to qualify for financial aid unless it was in the form of loans. Which even if you don’t qualify for public loans you can take private.

I think rather than just letting people prove the best of themselves, there needs to be a reinvestment into areas where opportunity to resources is sorely lacking or just plain lacking.

If you do, that just increases your chances of hiring programmers or developers down the line, and because you have that much bigger pool to draw from, you don’t have to pay as much $$$ and that will help level the discrepancy in pay.

and at the very least everyone had the same opportunity. What they choose to do with it, whether they go for it or not, is another matter.

Silverstring

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
Asians are 6% of the U.S. population but 27% of Apple’s U.S. employees. How do you explain that?
I’m already well familiar with your pet technique of pivoting off of someone’s actual argument by inserting a specific, tangential minor point that may be true…and acting like that tangential point is an assumed premise that compromises the entire original argument. “If one can’t counter an argument, distort/oversimplify the argument until you can” is certainly a technique…but one I’ll pass on engaging with further.

The level of Asian representation at Apple isn’t a “**** you” to straight white males just like certain math tests being an indicator of math performance specifically doesn’t mean that the entirety of the standardized testing apparatus is a good indicator of college preparedness and performance.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
I’m already well familiar with your pet technique of pivoting off of someone’s actual argument by inserting a specific, tangential minor point that may be true…and acting like that tangential point is an assumed premise that compromises the entire original argument. “If one can’t counter an argument, distort/oversimplify the argument until you can” is certainly a technique…but one I’ll pass on engaging with further.

The level of Asian representation at Apple isn’t a “**** you” to straight white males just like certain math tests being an indicator of math performance specifically doesn’t mean that the entirety of the standardized testing apparatus is a good indicator of college preparedness and performance.

It’s not at all a “tangential minor point.”

If blacks are allegedly underrepresented by a few percentage points, leftists act like it’s a huge outrage and scream about racism. But if Asians or blacks or other minorities are massively overrepresented, it’s … crickets.

Why is that?

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Asians are 6% but whenever race is talked about it’s always white, black and maybe the occasional brown thrown in.

there are certain ads or folks going around stating they’re for color and diversity but really they’re just talking about blacks in white (and I say this because the color representation they show is all black).

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
Asians are 6% but whenever race is talked about it’s always white, black and maybe the occasional brown thrown in.

there are certain ads or folks going around stating they’re for color and diversity but really they’re just talking about blacks in white (and I say this because the color representation they show is all black).

Right. Nobody on the left wants to talk about why Asians are overrepresented because it explains why blacks are underrepresented.

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
It's all very well handing out money to support the odd natural disaster and taking the moral high-ground with 'racial injustices', but what about other charities or causes that are in need of funding for development?

The tragedy no one acknowledges is that the people who need help the most don’t receive it. For example, people who suffer from Autism Spectrum Disorder. There is no social justice for the mentally challenged when special interest groups hijack the media.

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Nope. My parents made well over $250K yearly some 20 years ago. And I still didn’t have the funds to get me into college. I wish I had a scholarship like this for me but my parents made to much $$$. Crazy how that works

I couldn’t afford college. Therefore I didn’t go. I got past that obstacle and busted my butt and found a trade I like and now I make $150K a year.
Mind you my parents made very good money when I was younger. Over $250K yearly 20 years ago. It because my parents made good money and I was white I didn’t qualify for any “white” scholarships and my parents made to much $$$.
All the more reason to try to hide all potential income of even unrelated family members and try to link yourself to the closest reachable ethnic minority just in case you happen to be from a non-favorite race (racism) and non-favorite social class (classism) and used against you.

Sarcasms aside, I totally understand some of the complaints, but it all seems to stem from “life is unfair and can’t deal with it”… yes, it would be great if everybody could realistically try to become a doctor, have the income, or brains for getting a scholarship, motivation, etc but that’s just not how things are.
Heck, even those more motivated to thrive for it might have a lucky genetic component… is it fair for those not born with it? It isn’t.

I’m from South America, 5foot5, have seen horrible things most of my life, managed to get out and worked for a decent living here in North America after years of hustling… I started without a social network, without a degree, without savings, yet I’m somehow “privileged” because I’m male and don’t look THAT latin (until I speak that is). The prejudice is always their on first impressions, thanks for making it even harder wokester gang.

So, do I deserve a spot at the NBA? Just because I was unlucky on that front? Only if I happen to do some miracle three pointers, but I can’t shoot a basket ball to save my own life, so, the hell I don’t deserve it. So, where’s the “all things must be equal gang” on these examples?

In any case, I would feel horribly bad taking the place, in any domain, of someone else with more merit and skills just because someone needed to win some politically correct points.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
All the more reason to try to hide all potential income of even unrelated family members and try to link yourself to the closest reachable ethnic minority just in case you happen to be from a non-favorite race (racism) and non-favorite social class (classism) and used against you.

Sarcasms aside, I totally understand some of the complaints, but it all seems to stem from “life is unfair and can’t deal with it”… yes, it would be great if everybody could realistically try to become a doctor, have the income, or brains for getting a scholarship, motivation, etc but that’s just not how things are.
Heck, even those more motivated to thrive for it might have a lucky genetic component… is it fair for those not born with it? It isn’t.

I’m from South America, 5foot5, have seen horrible things most of my life, managed to get out and worked for a decent living here in North America after years of hustling… I started without a social network, without a degree, without savings, yet I’m somehow “privileged” because I’m male and don’t look THAT latin (until I speak that is). The prejudice is always their on first impressions, thanks for making it even harder wokester gang.

So, do I deserve a spot at the NBA? Just because I was unlucky on that front? Only if I happen to do some miracle three pointers, but I can’t shoot a basket ball to save my own life, so, the hell I don’t deserve it. So, where’s the “all things must be equal gang” on these examples?

In any case, I would feel horribly bad taking the place, in any domain, of someone else with more merit and skills just because someone needed to win some politically correct points.

Very well said.

T Coma

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2015
Flyover Country, USA
I agree.
But frail ego people that believe that helping others somehow hurts them.

It's no surprise, in our political and social climate, hate crimes against Black and Asian people are the highest in a decade and that white supremacists are even more vocal and dangerous. This is from FBI statistics.

lol @ “hate crimes.” Like what, mean tweets?

I guess in clown world here, murder, battery, rape, armed robbery dont count as “hate crimes.” Because if you *do* check the FBI stats (fbi.gov, do some work for yourself for once), its easy to see who is committing the wildly disproportionate majority of crimes against blacks. And Asians. And whites too.

Spoiler: It ain’t the whites.
It ain’t the Asians.
And it sure as f*** ain’t the white supremacist boogeyman.

Who does that leave, since you statistically can’t blame “white supremacists” (a.k.a., just whites) no matter how much the wokies really want to?

Oh yeah, it’s “our political and social
climate.”

:rolleyes:

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
lol @ “hate crimes.” Like what, mean tweets?

I guess in clown world here, murder, battery, rape, armed robbery dont count as “hate crimes.” Because if you *do* check the FBI stats (fbi.gov, do some work for yourself for once), its easy to see who is committing the wildly disproportionate majority of crimes against blacks. And Asians. And whites too.

Spoiler: It ain’t the whites.
It ain’t the Asians.
And it sure as f*** ain’t the white supremacist boogeyman.

Who does that leave, since you statistically can’t blame “white supremacists” (a.k.a., just whites) no matter how much the wokies really want to?

Oh yeah, it’s “our political and social
climate.”

Outstanding.

Here’s one of those non-hate crimes that barely makes the local news:

If the poor woman had called this dreg a name, it would have been national news.

Last edited:
Reactions: steve333

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
I assume it's White folk need not apply.
These fauxgressives need to realize there are plenty of Whites who were born with nothing and still have nothing.
Just being a shade darker doesn't make you less well off.

Last edited by a moderator:

saudade

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2015
As a color person im proud of what apple iz doing 4 the black community . I appreciate all the equity and social Justice they bring and the money they spent . White people should do more 4 these with less opportunities imho plz do the right thing and donate more

• Haha
Reactions: peneaux

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
Equity = prefer based on skin color; I.e. racism.
Equality = prefer based on quality and character; builds a happy society.
Since when has this country done anything for equality? Everytime equality comes up there is some excuse from the status quo.

Also the only ones guilty of racism in America are/were white.

I assume it's White folk need not apply.
These fauxgressives need to realize there are plenty of Whites who were born with nothing and still have nothing.
Just being a shade darker doesn't make you less well off.
If Blacks and latinos put the effort required into achieving an education they would be much better off than getting a hand out from leftwing Whitey.
Your assertion is that everything is equal and it's not. A white guy with a suit still has the privilege in this society of being white.

If you think that white privilege doesn't still exist you are denying the truth. You need to look no further than housing appraisals in America where a Black person will get a lower appraisal just because the white appraiser saw a family photo of a Black family. That doesn't happen to white folks.

Red lining and predatory lending still happens in minority areas. Look no further than the Wells Fargo and BofA.

But if you want to somehow believe that the Apartheid institutions went away and everything is race neutral. If you want to believe that 100 years of access denied means nothing in the disproportionate wealth distribution between Black and white in America, you are kidding yourself again.

Here you have the continuous specious argument that Black and Latino have the same opportunity as whites in this country and racism no longer exists.

No point in talking to people with their heads in the sand. Marked as ignore.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
Since when has this country done anything for equality? Everytime equality comes up there is some excuse from the status quo.

Also the only ones guilty of racism in America are/were white.

Your assertion is that everything is equal and it's not. A white guy with a suit still has the privilege in this society of being white.

If you think that white privilege doesn't still exist you are denying the truth. You need to look no further than housing appraisals in America where a Black person will get a lower appraisal just because the white appraiser saw a family photo of a Black family. That doesn't happen to white folks.

Red lining and predatory lending still happens in minority areas. Look no further than the Wells Fargo and BofA.

But if you want to somehow believe that the Apartheid institutions went away and everything is race neutral. If you want to believe that 100 years of access denied means nothing in the disproportionate wealth distribution between Black and white in America, you are kidding yourself again.

Here you have the continuous specious argument that Black and Latino have the same opportunity as whites in this country and racism no longer exists.

No point in talking to people with their heads in the sand. Marked as ignore.

“All white people enjoy privilege and inherit guilt from past racism that occurred 100 years ago.”

”Black people are all individuals and they share no responsibility for the massively disproportionate amount of violent crime being committed by blacks today.”

Clown world argument.

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
I’ve had enough of apples woke pandering now, im sorry but this is racist, it’s nothing to do with skin colour it’s to do with hard work, the best person for the job, giving money to a certain race only is racist in its self; but that’s all im gonna say; I know on this forum there are decent people like my self with honest views but there are also the woke left type that think blm was needed
No, combating racism is very clearly not a racist thing to do. The decent folk on this forum are the ones who don’t speak out against efforts to fight injustice, but rather speak out against injustices in an effort to fight them. It’s truly sad to see people putting their energy into thwarting progress. And then folks wonder why movements like BLM need to happen.

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
Equity = prefer based on skin color; I.e. racism.
Equality = prefer based on quality and character; builds a happy society.
equity=if people don't end up with the same end result, there was something systemically causing that. Equality=everyone gets to play by the same rules and freedoms, but individual choices determine end result.

Reactions: jk73

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO

Oh, God, this probably isn't worth it, but, oh well.

IISC_EqualityEquity.png

• Disagree
Reactions: jk73 and techwhiz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.