Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
I’ve had enough of apples woke pandering now, im sorry but this is racist, it’s nothing to do with skin colour it’s to do with hard work, the best person for the job, giving money to a certain race only is racist in its self; but that’s all im gonna say; I know on this forum there are decent people like my self with honest views but there are also the woke left type that think blm was needed

Will you be stepping up sending a real message to Apple by voting with your wallet? Or is that just forum yada yada?

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Diversity inclusion does not mean promoting tokens into leadership. It means hiring people on their merit and that could mean a whole company of while people or black people or brown or any other ethnicity. I am reminded yearly that I need to hire more female programmers and more diversity, yet I can't ask the two to three dozen candidates to change their gender and melanin levels so we can be more inclusive. The population is pasty white round here and female programmers are non existent by the looks of it, even if someone does turn up, they still have to be a better programmer than the other candidates for interview.
I understand what you're saying. However, diversity brings with it its own benefits that are more difficult to quantify. You mention you work in programming, so I'm reminded of the stories about training AI to recognize faces and the challenges some companies have had with correctly recognizing people of all skin colors. (Not to say that this is the issue you're having, of course, but just one related to your field.) If those companies had more diverse staffs, such issues probably would have been caught sooner.

If your company is committed to building a diverse workforce, then it would do what it takes to bring in that diversity (relocation bonuses, for instance). I'm not saying that you're doing something wrong, however.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
I’ve had enough of apples woke pandering now, im sorry but this is racist, it’s nothing to do with skin colour it’s to do with hard work, the best person for the job, giving money to a certain race only is racist in its self; but that’s all im gonna say; I know on this forum there are decent people like my self with honest views but there are also the woke left type that think blm was needed
unfortunately honest views aren't necessarily intelligent.

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
I understand what you're saying. However, diversity brings with it its own benefits that are more difficult to quantify. You mention you work in programming, so I'm reminded of the stories about training AI to recognize faces and the challenges some companies have had with correctly recognizing people of all skin colors. (Not to say that this is the issue you're having, of course, but just one related to your field.) If those companies had more diverse staffs, such issues probably would have been caught sooner.

If your company is committed to building a diverse workforce, then it would do what it takes to bring in that diversity (relocation bonuses, for instance). I'm not saying that you're doing something wrong, however.
When I am hiring someone I only care about how well they can code and are a self starter that don't want to argue with other members of the team. I don't care where they come from and they can work remotely. However, we get candidates from Scotland and mainland Europe only so it is all white (after two decades and hundreds of candidates). With me only managing to hire one female in that time. Whether I am targeting one position or dozens, I just don't get any more diversity than some people are German, or Polish, or Spanish, the bulk are Scottish.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
In the past, under Steve Jobs, Apple was rarely public about charitable causes. I think one of the reasons was to keep Apple from alienating customers if Apple contributed to something they didn’t agree with. In my opinion, throwing money at an issue isn’t always the solution.

acblue94

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
New York, NY.
I wonder how many people actually know the difference between equity and equality.

Similar words, very different
I wonder how many people actually know the difference between equity and equality.

Simi
Equity is BS. If 10 people want to be a doctor then all 10 people should strive to be one. One person over the other shouldn't get specials means to help them get there. It should all be equal regardless of your smarts, financial means, up bringing.

acblue94

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
New York, NY.
Diversity inclusion does not mean promoting tokens into leadership. It means hiring people on their merit and that could mean a whole company of while people or black people or brown or any other ethnicity. I am reminded yearly that I need to hire more female programmers and more diversity, yet I can't ask the two to three dozen candidates to change their gender and melanin levels so we can be more inclusive. The population is pasty white round here and female programmers are non existent by the looks of it, even if someone does turn up, they still have to be a better programmer than the other candidates for interview.
Well said. The issue aren’t the companies. It’s the minorities that don’t want the jobs. They are at fault. I can’t hire based solely on race or sex. That’s illegal unless you are the president.

acblue94

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
New York, NY.

In January, Apple launched its Racial Equity and Justice Initiative in the United States with the goal of "building a more just, more equitable world " and an initial commitment of $100 million. Today, the company is recommitting an extra $30 million to the initiative.

apple-racial-equity-and-justice.jpg

In a press release, Apple says that the added $30 million will support students, innovators, and communities takes charge in creating a more inclusive world.
Alongside the added commitment, Apple is also partnering with California State University to launch a new "Global HSI Equity Innovation Hub" that will work to expand access to education to typically underprivileged students. The new hub will launch as a partnership between Apple, CSU, and the state of California.
In addition, Apple is also expanding its work with Tennessee State University and several other organizations and community colleges to "implement programs that will help incarcerated and paroled individuals learn new skills and work to prevent recidivism."

Article Link: Apple Commits Extra $30 Million to Racial Equity and Justice Initiative
My company had 15 openings the past month. We had 35 applicants. 34 white and 1 latino. The latino had the least experience of all 35 total. He had 6 months expieenxes and the rest had a minimum of 10 years. So who is at fault for diversity issues???? Btw. 30 of the 35 where woman.

it’s called the people.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Equity is BS. If 10 people want to be a doctor then all 10 people should strive to be one. One person over the other shouldn't get specials means to help them get there. It should all be equal regardless of your smarts, financial means, up bringing.
you're absolutely right — it should be equal regardless of all the things you mentioned. unfortunately it isn't and hasn't been, and if you refuse to see that, well... i'm not sure there is anything that can help.

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
a global company, totally committed to racial injustice, but only in the United States.
Apple is not a global company. They are based in the U.S. Their corporate HQ is in the U.S. Offering their products worldwide doesn't make them a global company.

EDIT: I'll make a retraction on that. But it still doesn't mean Apple must help different races of people and underprivileged outside the U.S to get jobs. Their corporate HQ is U.S.-based.

Last edited:

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Apple is not a global company. They are based in the U.S. Their corporate HQ is in the U.S. Offering their products worldwide doesn't make them a global company.
Half of their retail stores are overseas; the App Store is available in 175 countries; and there are more than 2 billion iOS devices activated globally. I think it's safe to say they're a global company.

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
Not everybody has the financial means to go to college or can qualify for a loan. Does that mean they don't deserve to go to college to get the career they want? Very ignorant post. ?

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
The great thing about this program is, like Lisa's Environmental work, Apple isn't just throwing money at something. Some of the interviews with the recipients of the initial cash talked about how hands-on Apple is with this. There is a team at Apple managing this money like a venture fund, they're doing research and ensuing the money is being directly spent on programs that will have ripple effects in communities. Apple has so much money they could just put checks in the mail to random addresses millions of dollars a day but they're choosing to manage this like a business investment.

Reactions: ruka.snow

acblue94

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
New York, NY.
Are you against need-based scholarships to schools?
Nope. My parents made well over $250K yearly some 20 years ago. And I still didn’t have the funds to get me into college. I wish I had a scholarship like this for me but my parents made to much $$$. Crazy how that works
We need black woman CEO. And black designers and black processors engineers
Not everybody has the financial means to go to college or can qualify for a loan. Does that mean they don't deserve to go to college to get the career they want? Very ignorant post. ?
I couldn’t afford college. Therefore I didn’t go. I got past that obstacle and busted my butt and found a trade I like and now I make $150K a year.
Mind you my parents made very good money when I was younger. Over $250K yearly 20 years ago. It because my parents made good money and I was white I didn’t qualify for any “white” scholarships and my parents made to much $$$.

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
Apple may well donate to plenty of charities, but do they get a press release?

Apple for a very long time has matched employee donations. Here's the newsroom from Apple in December summarizing 2020's giving - https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/12/a-landmark-year-of-giving-from-apple/

600 million given to 34,000 charities globally and 1.6 million volunteer hours from employees since 2011 (last 9 years).

"For every hour an employee volunteers or dollar they donate, Apple matches that with a monetary donation to the same organization"

As an apple employee, you can give $10,000 to a charity near and dear to you in your community and Apple will match it.

Here's a summary of the program - https://forms.matchinggifts.com/AppleGuide.pdf

Here's the 2019 summary - https://www.macrumors.com/2020/01/16/apple-charitable-donations-2019/ (100 million in 2019 alone)

so YES there is press releases around the huge amount of money Apple is giving back.

dgrey

Suspended
Jul 2, 2021
Nice way for Apple and Crook to throw another 30 million dollars down the toilet.

And when did all this “Equity” crap start? What happened to “Equality”? It’s not enough to have equal opportunity anymore. Now, “equal outcomes” are demanded. If you can‘t make it, the government will make it for you. If you can’t pass the test, we will weaken the test, or eliminate it altogether, or make it a lottery so you get in even if you’re not in any way, shape, or form, qualified. That’s just pure communism right there. Sounds just like “From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs”, doesn’t it? This is what Woke Progressive Liberalism wants to do to this country.

Steve Jobs very famously kept Apple out of any kind of “causes”, and didn’t give money to foundations or charities. And for good reason. He understood that corporations needed to stay out of social issues.

Marbles1

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2011
Would be nice if consumers had the choice of where their apple products are manufactured. It would make 'doing your part easy' as you could choose to only buy iPhones made in a democracy, or only in countries with some baseline appreciation for human rights.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.