Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
I suspect that these won't be apps that you'd be expected to be manually switching between, but more system- and widget-driven. For example, you go into reverse and the system opens the reversing camera app; a widget showing a low tyre pressure warning appears on the UI, you tap it and it opens the tyre pressure app showing you more detail. It just seems like a way to make CarPlay more modular to suit whatever sensors each manufacturer chooses to expose to it in an effort to keep the OS itself as lean as possible, whilst ensuring there's less need to constantly switch between CarPlay and the native system depending on what you want to do or what the system needs to display.
Ok, that sounds like a very good approach. I like it :)

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
SC
I use an aftermarket radio in my Jeep. It’s a Linkswell model. Big Android tablet type thing. It can control all of the things mentioned here. Which has always made me wonder if its CarPlay integration could one day do that. Would be pretty cool. That way I would not have to leave CarPlay to adjust climate control stuff.

Reactions: mcrawley

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
Wireless CarPlay works perfectly in my wife's 2023 Toyota Venza hybrid. It's a great feature.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
I wonder why there is an app dedicated to your rear view camera?
It looks like the goal is to keep you from having to switch between CarPlay and your car manufacturer's interface.

Personally, I see this as very welcome, but with caveats. It's welcome in that Apple is much better at user interface design than most car manufacturers. It can be jarring to have to switch out of CarPlay to use a car function, and this would happen more often now that cars are (unfortunately) moving toward screen-based functions rather than switches and knobs.

On the other hand, this is only useful if Apple is open enough to let manufacturers greatly customize the CarPlay experience. Fortunately, there is some evidence that this will be Apple's approach, but the proof will be in the details.

Reactions: NightFox

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
Hmm… Why not have NG CarPlay as the vehicles native OS, similar to Android Automotive?

The updatable “carOS” could allow you to optionally extend regular car functionality by signing in with an Apple ID to access all the typical Apple services. Higher end models could have a built-in cellular modem, and others would just auto hotspot from a iPhone (or other) similar to other Apple devices.

I don’t really see the need for the phone to “project” anything… The car can easily be its own device.

Perhaps manufactures could have their own exclusive “skins” for the OS along with generic Apple ones.

Hessian

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2004
The 'Climate' one is a terrible idea. Apparently Apple still haven't learned what Car Manufacturers learned 10 years ago when introducing touch screens - that tactile buttons are always better in vehicles than touch screens, because you can adjust by feel without having to take your eyes off the road.
Agreed buttons are fast, but still are more distracting than voice command.

The problem with voice historically was delay and error. Using HomeKit to manage ever light in my house for the past 5+ years I can say the experience has varied, but currently the power of automation, scenes, and voice is the ideal when it works.

Having said that, going from a Volvo (touch screen with well designed buttons for climate/volume) to a Tesla I miss the buttons far less than I thought I would. I think much of that has to do with the temperature control being smartly designed on touch, and the ability to change volume on the steering wheel.

Mimiron

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2017
All I want is for CarPlay to have native Virtual Cockpit support. The stock Audi one is hideous. Why can't I have Waze there instead of the stupid and outdated Audi nav?

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
I'm referring to those cars that do allow full control though. I want the option to not go all in even my car permitting, but be able to use an equivalent of today's CarPlay.

Great question. I'd assume you get to choose, but time will tell... Personally, I'd prefer to go all-Apple, but I get that not everyone wants to go that route and going half-and-half would probably be the car maker's preference, too

Reactions: alexandr

carrrrrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2010
PNW
Apple solving non existent problems. CarPlay is such a misnomer. It Also goes in trucks, SUVs, and also, you can’t play any games. AppleDriveMaxPro+ would have been better.

• Disagree
Reactions: CloneBB

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Maybe it's just me but the last thing I want my car saying to me is "goodbye"...

Especially after your iPhone detects you’ve been in an accident.

You can use voice commands to adjust the temp. Also you still need to take your eyes off the road with physical buttons to see what number or level you’re at.

Not really. Once you figure out how they respond you can set what you want without looking.

Yeah but that's actually true with just one lady.

True, as I found out.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Great question. I'd assume you get to choose, but time will tell... Personally, I'd prefer to go all-Apple, but I get that not everyone wants to go that route and going half-and-half would probably be the car maker's preference, too
I would to, but in case it doesn't work for me — I'd like to be able to use CarPlay the way I do today, as opposed to turning it off entirely.

Reactions: wanha

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
It looks like the goal is to keep you from having to switch between CarPlay and your car manufacturer's interface.

Personally, I see this as very welcome, but with caveats. It's welcome in that Apple is much better at user interface design than most car manufacturers. It can be jarring to have to switch out of CarPlay to use a car function, and this would happen more often now that cars are (unfortunately) moving toward screen-based functions rather than switches and knobs.

On the other hand, this is only useful if Apple is open enough to let manufacturers greatly customize the CarPlay experience. Fortunately, there is some evidence that this will be Apple's approach, but the proof will be in the details.
TBH it never bothers me when the reverse cam takes over CarPlay(and than goes back). Or when I check my tire pressure — I have CarPlay and all of the preferable functions saved into the number bar, so they are instantly accessible.

I am concerned with how much of a caveat there may be when it comes to what you said. I pray it's perfect, but a car is a car — not as simple as a phone or a computer)

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
Especially after your iPhone detects you’ve been in an accident.

Not really. Once you figure out how they respond you can set what you want without looking.

True, as I found out.
You’re telling me you can set fan speed and temperature without looking? You always know the current settings in your head without looking?

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
I feel like Apple is beta testing all this stuff through car manufacturers in a run up to release their own car in 2026-2028.
I don’t like how the term beta testing gets thrown around so casually. Apple CarPlay has been a finished product for years and gets updated over time. It’s not a beta product and it’s not a test.

Reactions: iOS Geek

joshuamj

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2014
This makes me sooooo excited. I replaced my Polestar 2 for a Kia EV9 so I'm sad I may have to wait for more integrated CarPlay features, but seeing the progress sends tingles for sure.

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
That "goodbye" is creepy.
guaranteed to show up in a horror or thriller movie in the next couple years, I can picture the shot now: the camera slowly zooms in on the goodbye message being scrawled across the screen as the hand of the driver goes limp and their phone falls out of frame with a soft thud. Quiet eerie music and muted sirens play in the background, and dimly seen, blurred and lens-flared through the windows, are the flashing lights of the arriving emergency vehicles

• Love
Reactions: CarAnalogy

Nekronos

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2024
Is BMW not getting the new CarPlay?
I believe BMW has stated they are not interested in adopting the more invasive version of Carplay in part due to privacy/data harvesting concerns but will continue to support the existing one. BMW has one of the best infotainments in the business so personally I see no loss here but time will tell if they eventually adopt it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.