Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bodhisattva

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
I really hope there will be a way to use CarPlay without having it completely take over your car's displays and clusters.
Actually hoping the opposite. I'd love to see the option to either, or a hybrid of the car's display along with CarPlay

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
You’re telling me you can set fan speed and temperature without looking?

Yes. Easily.
You always know the current settings in your head without looking?

Fan is simple. All the way left is off. Each click turning right is a speed increment. Temp similar. All the way left or right is max cool or hot. Then I turn knob to what temp I want based on how much it is moved. After a while it’s easy to set temp where I want it.

On vehicle with actual temp displays, each step is 1 additional degree so I just count steps up and down from the lo or high temp value.

Reactions: Mcsnee

R4z3r

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2009
NJ
The 'Climate' one is a terrible idea. Apparently Apple still haven't learned what Car Manufacturers learned 10 years ago when introducing touch screens - that tactile buttons are always better in vehicles than touch screens, because you can adjust by feel without having to take your eyes off the road.
I think it’s a balancing act. There is nothing wrong with this when used in conjunction with existing tactile controls. If it also showed up on an iPhone (so CarPlay basically loaded temporary apps or unhid them) your passenger could control it without taking over the screen. I think as long as we think about these not in terms of either or but as complimentary features there really isn’t a problem with most of these.

CopyChief

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
The 'Climate' one is a terrible idea. Apparently Apple still haven't learned what Car Manufacturers learned 10 years ago when introducing touch screens - that tactile buttons are always better in vehicles than touch screens, because you can adjust by feel without having to take your eyes off the road.
Based on what I've seen in some new cars, manufacturers did not learn this lesson about tactile buttons. Touchscreens are terrible for everything but infotainment – and even that's a stretch sometimes.

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
Can't imagine a worse scenario than Apple taking over essential controls of ones vehicle. CarPlay is fine as a media/Phone/apps interface but why would you not want to use the controls that come with the vehicle. I don't get it. The only reason I want CP in my BMW is so I can see Waze on the main screen.
That's one way to look at it.

Another take is that there are too many vehicle operating systems / software platforms - nearly one for every major automaker - and that's just a **** load 1s and 0s doing essentially the same thing. It's a lot of lines of essentially duplicate code strewn across the automotive universe, and all it is really achieving is spreading resources thinner than necessary. This is resulting in disastrous software delays, buggy rollouts, and ongoing issues (see GM and VW AG for a couple recent examples). Worse, it's rarely really adding value - at least not for the consumer.

The consumer doesn't really want all of this, and they certainly don't have time for the headaches. Just like they don't want every cellular phone or personal computer manufacturer developing their own operating system. They'd rather have a few major players with the proven record to get it right, and not have to dozens of different takes on the same end goal. This only becomes more conspicuous as we move further into the SDV (Software Defined Vehicle) era.

I'm not saying there's anything immediately wrong with the iDrive in your BMW. Ford's Sync is pretty good too, as is Hyundai Motor's and others. But the combined industry effort of trying to scale these future-forward to keep up with state of the art, including seamless OTA updates, is creating a lot of churn and a lot of pain. Now, if some automakers decide to can the whole thing, just punt it to Apple to figure out, and re-route the funds to say, developing better battery (or even better, something to replace the batter entirely) and motor tech, I'm all for that. And I bet a lot of other people are too.

escargot3

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Not to break protocol and follow up on my own post, but I suppose another way to frame this is, just as CarPlay is analogous to Android Auto, what would be ideal here is for Next Generation CarPlay (or, if not, then some other Apple thing not announced yet) to essentially evolve into the analog to Android Automotive:

Sorry, but it just sounds like you have an absolutely wild misunderstanding of what NexGen CarPlay is and will be. it sounds like you want it to be Apple’s version of android automotive, which it’s not, and it never will be. Apple is not going to take their excellent software and just license it to third-party car manufacturers. That doesn’t make any business sense whatsoever. What on earth would be their motivation for that? With Google it’s at Trojan horse in order to collect more of peoples data. That’s not Apple‘s game.

Just like with how regular CarPlay works now, the built-in car interface that provides all the infotainment and so on is garbage in almost every car. In replacing the crappy computer and software in your car temporarily with the power of your iPhone, when your iPhone is with you you’re able to get a much better, experience for some aspects of your car. This is a benefit of having an iPhone. Next gen CarPlay will expand these benefits to not only infotainment, but also other aspects of the car as mentioned in the article. It will continue to be a benefit of using your iPhone in the car. CarPlay is a feature that adds value to being an iPhone user.

The example you stated of a senior being confused when their passenger leaves the car is kind of ridiculous. The senior would either already have their own iPhone, so CarPlay would be used at all times, or if they didn’t have an iPhone carplay would never be used so they would be used to the crappy native interface of the car manufacturer. It just sounds like you’re trying to come up with scenarios to justify/convince yourself what you want but is never going to happen: that Apple would just make licensed software to completely run other companies cars, without using an iPhone. Why on earth would they do that?

Apple is legendary for their software. Sure, almost any company on earth would love for Apple to come in and completely do a better job of it for them. But that’s not apples job or interest. It’s a pipe dream to think that they would do that.

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
I wish there was more detail about the impact of the 'new' CarPlay with current cars. Out of the gate, 99% of cars will be folks with existing CarPlay systems - is this redesigned too?

Totally agree Mike

I'm more interested in hearing what's changing (or not) for all of us out there using CarPlay now, in cars we won't be replacing for years and years

Reactions: mcrawley

escargot3

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
I wish there was more detail about the impact of the 'new' CarPlay with current cars. Out of the gate, 99% of cars will be folks with existing CarPlay systems - is this redesigned too?
No? Did you not read the article? The only models that will support this are as yet unreleased models of Aston Martin and Porsche. This is a next gen interface that requires a complete reimagining and designing of the cars from the ground up with this interface in mind.

mkoesel

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2005
Sorry, but it just sounds like you have an absolutely wild misunderstanding of what NexGen CarPlay is and will be.

It feels like you are suggesting you know more than what has been made public. Yet, I don't see you offering up any new details.

The example you stated of a senior being confused when their passenger leaves the car is kind of ridiculous. The senior would either already have their own iPhone, so CarPlay would be used at all times, or if they didn’t have an iPhone carplay would never be used so they would be used to the crappy native interface of the car manufacturer.

Well, I obviously don't think it is nearly as artificial as you do, and that was only one example. Others exist such as the external device losing power or two devices contending for the hardware, etc. The issue at hand is simply that the phone is not necessary for the system to do what it needs to achieve what we know of NG CarPlay so far. As a corollary, now that the software is responsible for conveying information necessary for the car's operation (not just infotainment on the center screen) fault tolerance is even more critical. So, from an engineering perspective, it's a sub-optimal design. Sure, there are reasons to make it require the tethered phone - most of them based around more aggressive monetization at consumer expense - but that's not necessarily a smoking gun to say that it has to be that way, and that's that.

It just sounds like you’re trying to come up with scenarios to justify/convince yourself what you want but is never going to happen: that Apple would just make licensed software to completely run other companies cars, without using an iPhone. Why on earth would they do that?

It's a discussion forum so I'm just talking - sharing an opinion. I can see you don't like my opinion, and that perfectly fine. But I don't think it is at all far-fetched that someday - if not soon, okay - Apple software will just be there in your car (third party car - not just a theoretical Apple Car that may never materialize) when you turn it on. If you absolutely know this is not true then, well, congrats on having such an effective crystal ball or some impressive insider knowledge.

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
I am pretty sure that the picture that they show for next gen CarPlay is a Lincoln. Because it looks exactly like the new displays in the new Lincoln Nautilis.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I'm curious about this as well. My car brand is listed as getting the next-gen CarPlay. But I'm sure that doesn't mean the car I'm currently driving will...even though it's new! I'm not going to go back and buy another car JUST to get this of course, but I wonder if any of this is going to carry over to earlier cars. Or if brands that aren't on the list are going to get ANYTHING at all out of this.

I won't be bummed out if I don't get the full next-gen experience. But a few things here and there would be nice.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You’re telling me you can set fan speed and temperature without looking? You always know the current settings in your head without looking?
Assuming you remember your current temperature setting from the last time you looked, a physical tick on the dial usually means 1 deg change.

bodhisattva

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Yes. Easily.

Fan is simple. All the way left is off. Each click turning right is a speed increment. Temp similar. All the way left or right is max cool or hot. Then I turn knob to what temp I want based on how much it is moved. After a while it’s easy to set temp where I want it.

On vehicle with actual temp displays, each step is 1 additional degree so I just count steps up and down from the lo or high temp value.
"Hey Siri, adjust my temp 5 degrees warmer." ... easier than counting clicks and even less of a distraction for the driver.

Reactions: ke-iron

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
I suspect the most people on Apple’s CarPlay team don’t even drive. This is another example of tech crossing over from being fun and helpful to invasive and distracting.
Lol. Have you been to California. People here drive to go across the street.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I wonder how this will affect aftermarket radio head units? Will we be able to access some of these added features like cameras? If so, what about cars with multiple cameras, like backup cameras, front/dashcam cameras, and side cameras?

Reactions: mcrawley

Mcsnee

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2018
DC
I really hope there will be a way to use CarPlay without having it completely take over your car's displays and clusters.
Yes--this. I like and use CarPlay regularly, but it is not exactly a super stable platform, and I don't want my speedometer to freeze up on the highway the way the (absolute piece of trash) Apple Podcast app and Google Maps do.

• Love
Reactions: alexandr

JudeTheTechGuru

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2023
I would have to agree with ya on that 100% i actually like Physical Buttons and Switches more than On the Touchscreen, with the Future is going to cause more accidents with Touch Screen Climate control on that, with taking your eyes off the Road, Vehicle Manufacturer lets put this in future vehicle because it better than Physical button because they won't wear out, etc, on paper it sounds like a good idea in reality it isn't at all 1000%

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.