Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Yes--this. I like and use CarPlay regularly, but it is not exactly a super stable platform, and I don't want my speedometer to freeze up on the highway the way the (absolute piece of trash) Apple Podcast app and Google Maps do.
Agreed. Also — everyone's has different taste and preferences so while I appreciate CarPlay a great deal, I also appreciate that it doesn't take over some of the native idrive features.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
"Hey Siri, adjust my temp 5 degrees warmer." ... easier than counting clicks and even less of a distraction for the driver.
Not the question you asked. I can easily adjust temp without looking and having to ensure my iPhone is charged and connected. Analog controls work just fine as long as car has sufficient battery power.

Digital is nice but doesn’t replace a proper set of analog controls. ; and Siri doesn’t always understand what i am saying.

Reactions: Biro

tazinlwfl

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Florida
I really don't see the need for a temperature setting readout. The advantage of a physical dial is I can set a temperature based on muscle memory; I know if I turn the dial all the way right or left and the a set distance about what temp I have set without looking at the dial. Minor tweeks based on too hot or cold can be similarly made. A far more functional UI than having to look at a touch screen and drag or tap to change the temperature.
If you have a physical knob, are you suggesting it doesn’t read out the temperature ANYWHERE in your vehicle? Highly doubtful. Ignore it if you want to, but more than likely there still some digital display with a temperature read out. At least anything made in the last, like, 20 years.
If your vehicle has physical buttons and dials for climate, then your muscle memory still works with CarPlay. I still know how to adjust mine despite having a large touchscreen in the center. I don’t have to look at the screen, but it’s there.
I feel like you’re arguing in bad faith or are being obtuse to try to gain some kind of validation. Especially in response to the fact that there are already CarPlay-compatible vehicles with physical controls for climate that would simply read out to a built-in display because the computer in your car has that information and the new CarPlay will simply have access to that data. Yes, some vehicles will not have physical controls, and many people will likely reject those because they also prefer the tactile feedback of a knob. That’s why so many manufacturers have brought those controls back to work in conjunction with touchscreens. It doesn’t have to be one or the other, no need to create a false dichotomy.

dustin_

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2021
Banderas Bay, Mexico
an app to know if your car doors are closed? is this a joke? why would car doors and tire pressure be separate apps? this reeks of being created by non-drivers.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
an app to know if your car doors are closed? is this a joke? why would car doors and tire pressure be separate apps? this reeks of being created by non-drivers.
They are separate apps because they are related to different sensor systems. It will make more sense once we have a demo of how all these apps are managed and displayed within CarPlay2, but just because they are separate apps doesn't meant their information wont be displayed in an integrated manner.

But I think it makes more sense to consider them widgets instead of apps.

Last edited:
Reactions: dustin_

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I wonder how this will affect aftermarket radio head units? Will we be able to access some of these added features like cameras? If so, what about cars with multiple cameras, like backup cameras, front/dashcam cameras, and side cameras?
Chances are low that the new features would work with aftermarket head units. Mostly because these features come from the vehicle gateway and most (all?) aftermarket head units miss that kind of integration.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Chances are low that the new features would work with aftermarket head units. Mostly because these features come from the vehicle gateway and most (all?) aftermarket head units miss that kind of integration.
Yeah, if a head unit can't access your cameras normally, it probably wont be able to via CP2.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Yeah, if a head unit can't access your cameras normally, it probably wont be able to via CP2.
The only thing I can think of is if CP2 uses WiFi access to the vehicle CANBUS Gateway, then it could project the info from the vehicle gateway. But that seems like a pretty big attack vector to open.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The only thing I can think of is if CP2 uses WiFi access to the vehicle CANBUS Gateway, then it could project the info from the vehicle gateway. But that seems like a pretty big attack vector to open.
When I think of the cars which have replaceable head-units, most of them probably just have one camera if at all. Probably easier to buy a CP2 head-unit which comes with cameras, just like you can now with CP1 head-units; I know that I would rather have a front and rear aftermarket camera on that screen than just the rear factory camera. It's possible a properly hardwired head-unit could talk to the CANBUS gateway if it has the correct translation hardware, but it wouldn't be as easy as plug-and-play.

Reactions: diamond.g

jdavid_rp

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2020
I wonder why there is an app dedicated to your rear view camera?
I would expect this apps also be like the Sidecar.app, just opening on iPad when you choose to use it as a Mac screen. In this case it would show up when you go in reverse

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
While I fully understand the infotainment aspects of CarPlay, I don’t understand why Apple feels empowered to take over an auto manufacturer’s driving gauges like speedometer, odometer, etc. Stay in your lane, Apple.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
While I fully understand the infotainment aspects of CarPlay, I don’t understand why Apple feels empowered to take over an auto manufacturer’s driving gauges like speedometer, odometer, etc. Stay in your lane, Apple.
They want to provide a unified experience for their users.

What I am really curious about is if this takes off and folks get used to the Apple CarPlay 2 interface, when Apple makes their own vehicle will manufacturers continue to allow CarPlay when it is the interface of a competitor?

CSJudd

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
I would LOVE the ability to rename the devices shown in the CarPlay settings on the phone. When you have a few cars with the same head unit you can’t tell them apart since you cannot augment the name(s)

Reactions: snash22

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Makes sense. Kinda wish there was a standard for passing through this info. Got a Kenwood head unit with an iDatalink Maestro integrator, and it's really cool. Like I said, I wish there was a way to pass the info the Maestro gets to the radio and into CarPlay. Kinda like how HomeKit can integrate with the Thread/Matter devices or whatever.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Makes sense. Kinda wish there was a standard for passing through this info. Got a Kenwood head unit with an iDatalink Maestro integrator, and it's really cool. Like I said, I wish there was a way to pass the info the Maestro gets to the radio and into CarPlay. Kinda like how HomeKit can integrate with the Thread/Matter devices or whatever.
CAN Bus....

JoshuaBru

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
Ottawa Ont Canada
I don’t like how the term beta testing gets thrown around so casually. Apple CarPlay has been a finished product for years and gets updated over time. It’s not a beta product and it’s not a test.
That’s not what I was suggesting. I meant Apple car play was a way for Apple to beta test features UI integration etc for a car system so that at time of launch of their own car, apple CarPlay is on version 4 and not 1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.