Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple customers in Turkey are being turned away at retail stores by staff following the halt of online product sales in the country, although the exact reason for the in-store sales halt is unclear.

apple-store-turkey-1.jpeg

According to macReports, the halt is due to rapid currency fluctuations as the Turkish lira has declined significantly in recent days, and store staff are telling customers that normal sale operations will resume once the Turkish economy stabilizes.

Other Turkish sources have claimed that the stores have been selling products today and that any halt is simply due the stores running out of available stock to sell, a supply chain situation that has been ongoing for some time and has regularly resulted in Apple stores limiting in-store sales.

apple-store-turkey-2.jpeg

Images shared by macReports show customers waiting outside two Apple Stores in the country's largest city, Istanbul. According to the report, customers with service appointments are being attended to, while customers looking to purchase products are being turned away. Retail staff is also reportedly telling customers that once sales resume, a price hike can be expected for products due to the Turkish lira collapsing.

apple-store-turley-3.jpeg

Apple stopped the sale of products in Turkey yesterday following a historic economic collapse which resulted in the Turkish lira dropping 15%. At the time of writing, a Turkish lira is equivalent to approximately 0.082 U.S. dollars. We've reached out to Apple for a statement.

Article Link: Apple Customers in Turkey Being Turned Away at Retail Stores as Halt on Product Sales Continues

Last edited:

MLVC

macrumors demi-god
Apr 30, 2015
Maastricht, The Netherlands
They need that many people to process the appointments? I don't think all of them are technicians.
Not sure why you think there are a lot of employees in that store, as I really can't make that up from those pics. Anyway, they showed up to work and were told not to sell anything. At least that's my guess.

davidjschloss

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2015
"...although the exact reason for the in-store sales halt is unclear."

a few paragraphs later

"Apple stopped the sale of products in Turkey yesterday following a historic economic collapse which resulted in the Turkish lira dropping 15%. At the time of writing, a Turkish lira is equivalent to approximately 0.082 U.S. dollars. We've reached out to Apple for a statement"

I think the reason is pretty clear. Apple stopped sales after the currency crashed because the Lira is now useless and they sell expensive products.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
"...although the exact reason for the in-store sales halt is unclear."

a few paragraphs later

"Apple stopped the sale of products in Turkey yesterday following a historic economic collapse which resulted in the Turkish lira dropping 15%. At the time of writing, a Turkish lira is equivalent to approximately 0.082 U.S. dollars. We've reached out to Apple for a statement"

I think the reason is pretty clear. Apple stopped sales after the currency crashed because the Lira is now useless and they sell expensive products.
its not useless if you're a tourist.

jgrove

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2006
inflation and high fluctuations in exchange rates are likely the issue here.

FreeWoRLD83

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
The volatility was so high that at some point, some Apple products were cheaper to buy in Turkey than their USD equivalence, since Apple did not update the prices (or rather would not be able to keep up with such daily changes). Of course some greedy ones wanted to take advantage of the situation and massive purchase attempts were made.

This is why they stopped selling.

1637780986018.png

Last edited:

deaglecat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Apple products as a proxy for a hard currency. LoL.

This is what inflation looks like. Turkey wont be the last…I expect price increases in other markets in 2022 if not outright closures.

Reactions: drumcat

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I think at this juncture, anyone who wants an iPhone, already has a perfectly functioning one - they just want something newer to get that warm fuzzy feeling. Of course some people definitely need to buy a new iphone, but that crowd of people at that mall probably only has 15 people at tops in that category.

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
Somehow expecting the news, that Apple hardware - particularly iPhones - made Sultan Erdogan finally crash...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.